ZR1 Vette #'s released

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by CentralTexHemi, Apr 25, 2008.

1. 6POINT1

6POINT1 New Member

Just watch out for speed bumps.

2. Kevan

Kevan SRT-10 Owner

Yeah, or just plain badassedness.
    It's tough to call it blindness when going by looks alone.

In (this incarnation of) the ZR-1?
    No way are you getting 49 mpg.

Actually the Comp Coupe *is* a production car.
    It's just not street legal. :grin:

(2) vehicles hardly makes it a production car.
    Just ask Gerald Weigert.

3. NYCSRTATE

NYCSRTATE Maximus Want 2 Go Fastius

Killer ride no doubt its a monster, usual crappy GM interior.

For $100K plus I would want a BMW type of interior.

4. NYCSRTATE

NYCSRTATE Maximus Want 2 Go Fastius

Im with you Curtis.

5. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

ZR1 is badass. I would take buy one if I had crazy cash. Then again, I would also buy an 08 Viper. I could think of a few more.

6. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

oh naw man, you misunderstood me again. not blind literally, just blind to the fact that the corvette is far and away the better bang for the buck.

as far as super cars go, ie the 911 gt2, ferrari 430, etc, it will take its lunch time and again with a tuner behind it.

you can hate gm, hate ford, hate dodge, etc. but youre blind if you dont recognize the z06 or new zr1 as being far and away the better car.

7. Kevan

Kevan SRT-10 Owner

I hear ya, Steve.

I can't really call myself a Viper zealot because one of my Top 10 vehicles is a Corvette Sledgehammer. :grin:
    And, I don't think I hate any car manufacturer. Some of the stuff they do makes me scratch my head (or type out heated posts), but there's no hate.

Viper vs. Zo6? Viper, all day long. Sorry, but that's just plain reality.
    Drag strip, road course, chicks at the bar....Viper FTW.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the 2008 ZR-1's are actually delivered later this year.
    (My money is that the Driver Mod will be required for 99% of the new Corvettes that go out.)
    :laugh:

8. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

this car is just flat out sex on four wheels!!!

9. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

haha, ok man, i guess we will just have to agree to disagree. i do have a q though, have you ever driven a newer viper? i just cant see how people out there like them, they are hot, uncomfortable and lack the tq that they had with previous versions.

i know the numbers already, you can tell me all day that there is more power in the newer ones, but i just dont see how that is the case. the last one i drove was an 05 vert while i was in vegas, i was thoroughly disappointed.

ive driven one of the old 92 RTs, a 99 GTS, and an 05 SRT10. the only one i was impressed with was the gts. the RT was cool because it was the first one i had ever been in and then had the opportunity to drive like a bat outta hell. the gts i got to drive when my uncle was selling them in sacramento. i was all for it because it had more tq than any other car i had ever driven. that includes my grandfathers 64 austin healey sprite that we dropped a buick v6 into.

as far as racing goes, i dont really know where youre getting your info from. the z06 is tried and true to be faster on the drag strip as well as every road course it has been tested against the viper on. it is this reason why the viper isnt included in any of the magazine euro vs american race wars.

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos/03-24-07page-Dodge-Viper-vs-Ford-GT-vs-Corvette-Z06.htm

one of the most honest reviews ive seen.

10. LegMaker

steve - i would agree..... i love the viper, actually like it visually better than the vette, but for pure performance, i would take the vette myself.....

i just drove next to a c6 z06 yesterday and the thing was just bad azz!!! not much of a bowtie guy myself, but that new zo6 just looked nasty!! the new vettes are even more wicked!!!

11. Kevan

Kevan SRT-10 Owner

The Vipers I've driven were both SRT-10's (05 & 06), one a coupe and one a convertible.
    I'm the only SRT owner that also worked as a crew member for the SRT Track Experience....so I got 4 days with the cars. :heaven:

My comparison might be slightly skewed because the only recent Corvette I've driven was a '98 or '99, and that was only for 10-12 miles. Nothing major, and certainly not like what I did with those Vipers. :grin:

Yes- the Viper can get very hot (and burn your leg. I have my very own 'Viper Bite' on my left calf).
    No- the Viper does not have cruise control.
    No- the Viper does not come with an automatic transmission (in any trim level).

In the magazine articles I've read over the last 25 years, where the Viper and Corvette are involved, the Viper has won each time; whether it's 0-60, 0-100-0, 1320', or top speed. Sadly, some of them were Hennessey vehicles (vs. Callaway vehicles).
    A Zo6 with an auto trans *might* get a better quarter mile time vs. an SRT-10, but with the amount of torque coming from either it's amazing they get any sort of traction at all. LOL At that level 525 ft.lbs. vs. 490 ft.lbs is almost splitting hairs. :grin:

In truth, comparing them isn't really fair.
    The Corvette is designed for the masses whereas the Viper is basically a race car with a CD player. It's much easier to make a Viper "race ready" than it is a Corvette. Conversely, it's much more realistic to have a Corvette as a daily driver (and it's interior proves it).

Sadly the Corvette has become what the 1st Gen. Camaro's became: They're like penises; every guy has one.

12. LegMaker

and some are bigger than others....hahahahahaha

i see your point about the vette and it commonness, but there is no disregarding the high end vettes for what they can do as cars!!!

13. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

im not much of a pro on viper modifications, all ive heard of is the roots blower that a lot of them have installed. truth be told, i have always been told its much harder and more expensive to mod the v10 than the old ls6 and the new ls7.

we all know that if given an overflowing wallet, we could make either run low 9s all day. personally, i could care less about going to the drag strip, the only thing i like it going to the actual track, that is where (imho) the true drivers reside. thats why im an american leman fanatic.

14. LegMaker

i am with you steve!!! tell me a better place on earth than laguna seca????? lol

15. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

i do agree that the viper is by far the most stunning to the masses, to me, i know what is under the hood in pretty much every car out there so i know already what they can do. exterior is only one small factor for me, the most has to do with daily use and how bad i can rip the other driver. :bigwink:

16. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

for sure chris, next year you need to make it out to long beach with us. my whole family is going to be there!

17. LegMaker

after my last trip to the spring fest, i would love to make another trip!!! it was actually a lot of fun driving the charger cross country!!!

18. Kevan

Kevan SRT-10 Owner

Very true.
    And with LSx's in each of the 30,000+ Corvettes sold each year parts and accessories (and go-fast goodies) will be cheap and plentiful.
    With less than 3000 Viper engines per year, parts will be pricey as hell and difficult to find.

All of the typical go-fast routes are available for the Viper: N20, superchargers, turbochargers.
    - Roe = Viper superchargeing masters. Not cheap by any stretch, but it's done right and will be reliable.
    - Underground Racing = Viper turbocharging masters. They have the fastest Vipers at the dragstrip. I think there's still video of one doing a 7 sec. pass. Yes- with a 6-speed!

Can you scoot over a little bit? 'Cause I'm right there with ya.

19. JMJ

JMJ New Member

That vid was beautiful. I definalty took the wrong job....:cry: