Wideband AFR Gauge Suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronic Modifications' started by Dookie, Jun 23, 2009.

1. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

Thanks a ton boys! Looks like a good birthday gift for me! Preciate the info!

2. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

This is not new info Chase... it's also in the middle of your torque converter thread (to read transmission fluid temp) :D
    What brand of gauges do you have now?

3. SRTLUVR

I know dude. I remember seeing it in my thread, and your recommendation as well. I'm just super-novice at this stuff, Dave. I mean super-novice. I knew this stuff has been around for awhile, but I'm just getting to the point to where I want to do this kind of modding now, it's never been a priority for me until now. I have no gauges whatsoever at this point.

You guys are the kings on this stuff, I'm just here to take notes, and learn every time I sign on. :)

4. Quick

I was just setting you up for ..."I guess you missed it while you were throwing your hissy fit" :rofl:

Now that you've got the big boy mods you're probably going to want all the OBDII stuff including the Chrysler Specific pids in addition to a couple of wideband gauges/inputs. With the DashDAQ you don't need the display modules/gauges just the sensors and controllers. Probably AFR and EGT since you're all motor you don't need a boost gauge. If you go with Zeitronics or Innovate it will take their serial input (they can daisy chain sensors together so you can get about 7 or something on one serial input instead of using up the 2 analog inputs).

You're probably looking at around 1K which is actually cost effective. It's worth it just for the integrated display, gauges, logging, customization. Then it does all kinds of gay crap like playing multimedia, gps, yada yada. It has serious configuration. High/low warnings on everything and anything and they can be audible too. It can yell at you. You should give Nathan (Redfox) a call and have him give you a rundown on it.

5. Cam

Cam Management up n smoke

Ohhh cool toy!!. Can you data log all those features too?.

6. Quick

What features?
    For data logging you can configure 8? or some number of parameters/signals to log even if you're not monitoring them. Otherwise anything and everything you have on the screen gets logged. You can have different "themes" (basically a skin) and each theme has as many screens as you want. There are arrow buttons to page left or right through the screens. Each screen has some number of gauges (if you do your own then it's as many as you want to fit on there). You then tap on a gauge and assign whatever signal you want to that gauge and configure high limit, low limit, high warning, low warning, colors for all the above and audible recording for high and or low warning. You do that for all the gauges on the screen. Then there's another button for "start log" (which changes to stop log after you've started it) and every gauge you've got a signal attached to gets logged including the background "global" ones you configured before. You stick a SD card into it and you can have it log in Logworks3 format or Excel cvs format or DashDAQ format. It takes SDHC cards so you could stick a 8GB card in there and log for a couple of days straight.... oh, it's all touch screen so all those buttons are graphical and you can move them or design your own if you're handy with their sort of complicated editor.

So, yes. If you have your widebands running into it through the serial or usb or analog inputs and are monitoring the signals they get logged along with everything else.

Oh yea, then you can run signals through a rescale "signal" and/or a statistics calculator "signal". A rescale signal is like a linear formula like you would do to a analog afr signal. You get 0v - 5v and you want to display 10 - 20 afr. So the offset would be 10 and the multiplier 2 (2x + 10). A statistics calculator will give you a moving average (you define the period), min, or max, or smoothed signal (you define the period for smoothing). Haha, I managed to display my RPMs in 500 rpm increments but I had to use 2 rescale signals to do it (each rescale signal takes up a device driver letter. You get 14 or 16 of them -- like 1 for my analog input, 1 for the chrysler pids, 1 for the mpg calculator, 1 for the dyno calculator, 1 for each rescale signal and 1 for each statistics signal. It's a serious scanner/monitor.

7. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

I'm with Chase...Electronically challenged. I understand it, just don't know what's out there and what best suits my needs/wants...the DashDaq is a very nice unit, but once things are set with your tune, and set ups...it's just a pretty cool conversation piece and toy. It's just a little much for me.

I like Cam's PLX DM Series...Cam which one do you have? 2-1/16 (100) or 62mm (200)?

I wish DashHawk would add AFR, seems like they could...then, all I would need would be a $100 sensor.

8. Quick

I have the DM-100. I think if you get the OBDII SM unit you have to have the DM-200? maybe not. but it's only generic OBDII.

9. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Does the DashHawk work with an LC-1 or not?

plus afr...right?

10. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  11. Quick

PLX has the same thing for the ipod (I'm assuming it's wi-fi, didn't look into it since I don't own a ipod/iphone).
    For the other question. PLX is a modular system. You have sensors and sensor control modules (they go in pairs naturally). You can daisy chain sensor modules together. Then they have guages and display modules. You can daisy chain display modules together. I think the DM-100 can display 4? maybe more inputs from sensor modules. The DM-200 maybe more. but I think that in order to display the OBDII module you have to have the DM-200. So yes, the DM-200 could certainly display the OBDII and an afr (and an egt, etc).

The DashDAQ does not have a driver for the serial protocol from PLX modules so if you wanted to display PLX widebands on the DashDAQ (currently) you would have to use the analog output of the PLX widebands. The DashDAQ can take 2 analog inputs.

12. TALON

TALON SRTV8

Dave, I've looked for this feature on DashDAQ's web site but can't find it listed. Do you have it, and it's just not listed?

Ken

13. Quick

Hmmm, I assume you have the Chrysler specific license? and if so, have you looked at the signal list on the DashDAQ?

First off, what version are you running? I think it's on the splash screen when you first power it.

Second, when you do "find signals" how many do you get for the Chrysler specific? I think it should be around 231? maybe. I'll have to check mine.

If you're not finding that many signals then go to Setup->Devices? or device manager->Parameters. Then select the Chrysler Specific (window on top?) and hit edit. It will have one parameter. Something like:
    Chrysler Specific .... : 0
    Change the zero to 1.
    save, back out and do find signals again. then look for transmission fluid temp (I think that's what it's called).

If that doesn't do it then it might be because I'm running a beta version. If that's the case you could ask them about joining/getting access to the beta group on their forum. You give them your serial number and the update tool will add the beta versions to the list.

You could just try the update tool and see if you have the latest release version too.

I'll go get my DD out of the car after lunch and get all the right names and steps for you in the instructions above.

14. Quick

Ok, I checked. It's called Transmission Fluid Temperature in the Chrysler Specific list.

If you have the Chrysler Specific license and have it installed you may need to:
    Go to Setup
    Go to Devices
    Go to Parameters
    Scroll the bar at the top to "Chrysler Specific"
    Select "Complete Signal List: n"
    tap the <Change> button
    enter "1"
    Save
    back out to Find Signals (do that).
    Go back to your gauges and see if that parameter is in the list to assign to a gauge.

The version you're running will show on the last line of the splash screen "DashDAQ-[version number here]"

If you haven't yet, you should download the updater tool from their site and install that on your PC. Then plug the DashDAQ into your PC using a mini USB to USB cable. Then run the Updater tool, it will find your DashDAQ, highlight the DashDAQ and then hit update firmware and go from there. (don't get confused and try to update the updater tool :))

15. TALON

TALON SRTV8

Thanks Dave for all the info. I just bought the Chrysler Specific license.

Ken

16. SRTLUVR

Dude. I have no idea what you just said, lol. I get what your trying to tell me. But ya lost me.......

17. Quick

It's incredibly cool, it will do anything you can possibly imagine or want, or that anyone else tells you that it should do, now and for your future mods, and you NEED one in your car. :grin:

18. SRTLUVR

I gotcha Dave. Once I got it installed, I'm sure I'd spend an afternoon just driving and playing with it........the Dashdaq. Thanks for putting up with my dumbass. :) I just need to be exposed to this kinda stuff. I'm a smart guy, and learn quick, I just have to get exposed to it.

19. TALON

TALON SRTV8

* UPDATE*

I've just relocated my DashDAQ XL to the "A" pillar pod. Much better location IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ken

20. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

looks good Ken, nice job on install