What other parts needed when adding a supercharger?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by SRTLUVR, May 31, 2009.

1. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

Keep it at 10.3. Get one of the PPP 426 7.0 F/I cams. Their TS is similar to mine, but I'm running more lift. That cam is a monster NA. You could have Andy get you a custom cam. If you decide to stay NA or take off the SC, your power won't suffer.
    Do Water/Meth and get some 10.5 X 20 wheels for the back so you can use Nitto 315/35-20 NT-05's. Everyone's building all these monsters without a clue to how to get the power to the ground. Unless your planning on DR's or slicks on the street all the time, prepare to be very frustated. Going from the 295/45-20 RSA's to the 275/40-20 NT-05's was like night and day. Feel like DR's. I will get the 315's someday.

I'm a ProCharger fan. I had a D1SC Race kit for my Z28. Never got to use it though.

I wish you could take a ride in my car NA Chase. Right now the 500 or so rwhp NA and the 275 Nitto's are a great combo. A SC will require the 315's. My car is way faster than when I took the EQ for rides back in August.

Z06's have stock cast pistons, just as crappy as ours. So they hav the same issues with boost on a stock engine.

Big HP on the street is like big HP on a dyno. If yu can't get the power to the ground, you will be beaten by cars with way less HP at the track and on the street.

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

WOW, kind of a bullshit statement, Hal.

3. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

Not really BS Ron. Just facts. Somewhere along the line we have to decide whether we want 22's to make our cars look cool, which they do, or get the largest sticky tires available for traction. Now thats the Nitto NT-05's and the Nitto DR's, which are not available in 22's.
    You running 2.7 60's on stock tires says alot. We where happy with 1.9 to 2.0's on stock tires. And that was pedal to the metal. I'm not saying that the 315 NT-05's will be a dead hook with a SC'd 426, but you'd be able to give it alot more pedal than light feathering. I know many of the treads available in 22 have less traction than our stock tires. Many are using SUV tires for larger sizes, but the traction is far from sticky.
    You saw how hard my car launched with the 275's, I was actually amazed.

Maybe saying not having a clue was not the right verbage. Meaning we have virtually no options for our cars. It all will boil down to the same thing. Our cars will be challenged to be a stoplight to stoplight racer without more thought put into street traction.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  4. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Well Hal, it is BS as many of us DO know how to put the power to the ground.

You are TWISTING my fun run down the 1320 into something it is not, just to justify your BS statement.

I am currently on my OEM 20's with BALD ASS RSA'a. I am also still LEARNING how to launch the car with ALL the Torque coming in BEFORE 4K RPM's. So yea, I will learn with NO TRACTION before adding my DR's. I am TRYING to NOT break more stuff!

Maybe you should try rewording your statement because it si COMPLETE BULLSHIT!!!!

5. 8yourM5

8yourM5 Full Access Member

He will need bigger injectors than stage two neons. I had to run 60lb and hour and was still almost at 90% duty cycle

6. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

ummm the S2 injectors are 68lbers and I have been using them for nearly three years. Duty cycle is at 74%.

7. NorCalSRT-8

NorCalSRT-8 Performance Consultant

LOL I am one of those dumb asses that runs 22's on the street. Yeah they suck with a lot of power behind them, but the ladies think my car looks sexy! :bigwink:

8. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

Andy, thanks for chiming in to clear some of this up for me! :)
    I hear ya on the traction Hal, totally understand what you're saying. I just don't head to the drag strip very often at all. Matter of fact, I have NEVER been in this car, and I've had it for 3 years now. I just want it to be a street monster, and I'm super happy with the traction I get on my new Kumho Ecsta SPT tires. There's actually about 4 or 5 tires out there now, that offer "sticky" traction on 22's, and I've got one of them. But I totally understand what you're saying. I just don't think I'll want to sacrifice the looks I can achieve with my current wheels. Right now I think I have a pretty good balance between sex appeal, and traction. And I'm sure I'll be more than happy with only 8 lbs. of boost.

Hey guys, will I need a bigger, stronger fuel pump? Upgraded fuel rails? Or am I good just upgrading injectors?

9. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Depending on how much boost you want to run, Chase.

I do need an upgraded fuel system, but I am only running out of fuel in the last 400 rpms of the power band (5800rpm), and it jumps to 12.1.

I do recommend it though, but as I said, hold off for a few weeks/months so that you will not be paying an arm and a leg for 600 bucks worth of parts.

10. SRTLUVR

Cool. Thanks Ron. I hear ya, I'm not in a rush anyway. :)

11. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Chase, I think Hal IS talking about the street (at least partially). You're getting up there where (once it's boosted) you might never be able to do more than 1/4 - 1/2 throttle on the street. Then it gets kind of like driving on ice all the time.

Certainly something that you can wait and see how it works out!

(jees, I sure am glad *I* don't have these kind of problems... :sorry::crying:)

12. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Yep...stickier tires for around town! Save the RSA's for the track!! Sorry Ron, I couldn't resist!! :huglove: hehe

13. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

lolololololol

14. SRTLUVR

I gotcha dude. I'd loooooooove to have a set of 20's with some streetable DR's on them. My car only gets 3500 miles a year if it's lucky. (Had it 3 years, and she's only got 9500 on it) So that would make good sense for me, because I wouldn't wear through them very fast. It's just that I've grown so attached the look I have for it now with the 22's, I don't know if I'm willing to sacrifice it. Let alone pay another $5K for a beautiful set of forged 20's with DR's. Definitely something for me to contemplate for sure, I totally understand what you guys are talking about.

15. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

psh just get custom tires made for the 22's ;)

16. SRTLUVR

^^ Yeah. Let me just give Chip Foose a call and have him knock that out for me.....probably won't cost that much......lol

17. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

see now thats what i like to hear...its that kind of enthusiasm that makes me happy!

18. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

yep!! and i have them now!! lol they are only running at about 75% for me right now.

it is not your car they think is big sexy ron!!! :bigwink:

well, when the torque convertor was partially operational in my car right after blower install, i quickly found out how difficult it can be to drive the car due to traction issues. i do see hals point in the case of lots of hp and not having the foundation to get it to the ground. i did not like driving my car in the rain since the blower install, due to the fact it is literally like driving on ice. the dry streets or ok, but when your foot is in it, the boost will break the tires loose in a hurry!!!

"legmakered" srt wheels with some nitto nt-05's!!!

oh yeah...... you will want to change the fuel system with at least a bap. do some nice billet rails with a front cross over, and bump up to a 68lb injector! just my two cents....

19. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

lol You have my previous set my friend. I now have another set of S2's. lol

If you would actually call me, I would tell you about it.. But no worries, I know you are tippin the goose and cran right now. lol

20. SRTLUVR

What a sissy drink.....goose and cran. I hope you man up and drink some damn beer at the Shindig Chris!!!