What other parts needed when adding a supercharger?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by SRTLUVR, May 31, 2009.

1. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

I've already upgraded to a SHR transmission. I have a forged PPP 426 & 50lb injectors, with an extruded intake manifold, and PPP Stage 2 heads. And I have the 1000hp axles. So I'm good to go with all that. But when I add my blower what else will I have to add??

Entire fuel system upgrade? Or just fuel rails and fuel pump? Will I need bigger injectors? I'm assuming water/meth system? Would it be good to upgrade my heads to stage 3? Anything else?

Trying to get my calculations going, and I want to do this the right way. Thanks for any help gang......

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Depends on the amount of boost you plan on using, Chase.

If you do not plan more than 8psi, you should be able to get away with just upgrading the injectors (srt4 S2).

You really need to look at your current build to determine boost. CR, Cam...

What F/I setup are you looking at?

3. greatone61

greatone61 Full Access Member

Water/Meth for sure. MOL has a good option for a fuel system. Cam upgrade for sure depending on Twin Screw or centrifugal.

4. SRTLUVR

I believe my CR is 10.3 or 11.3, can't remember. I know Andy at PPP can tell me. But I know I went with a higher compression ratio at the time of my build, because I intended to stay "all motor." So I'm thinking I'll only run about 6-8psi.

I really like the procharger kit. Not only do I like its engine bay placement, but it makes great power, and it's a great price. Not a fan of the Vortech at all, and the Techco is too expensive. Plus, I don't want to throw away all my new work I've just done in my engine bay. With the Procharger, I can accomplish all my goals. :)

5. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

If you are at 11.3 CR, then think about keeping the boost down to 6psi.

What about your Cam? You should have one ground for F/I. Might as well think about upgrading your fuel delivery as well, but hold off for a few weeks as their are more options coming out that will be a bit lower in price than what is currently available.

6. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

If you have 11.3 CR you need to maybe get that lowered when you go SC....

7. SRTLUVR

I'm in no rush at all. I'm just compiling my info and prices right now. My fabricator / installer came by for a couple beers today and we got talking. I need to start digging for facts.

Andy, what CR did I get on my motor??

Motor has to come out for this I assume??

8. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

At least the heads need to come off. If you're going to upgrade heads like you mentioned, then PPP should be able to lower your compression by opening up the chambers on the heads and or running a thicker head gasket.

9. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

My two cents, but it has logic. At a minimum, stock braking ability if you run less dust pads, and stickier tires for driving around town. Now back to gear head motor stuff! Seriously though, I know you have an interest handling performance so keep this in mind since you're adding a shit ton more power. Just don't want to see you in a ditch brother!!

10. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Excellent thought, Adam.

11. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Not sure my friend....I know it can be done w/o removing the motor in the SRT10 trucks.........and like Ron said you may be able to do the SC with the high compression but I think you would sure be pushing it...a SC basically boosts CR by forcing more air in on the intake stroke.....but I am far from a prof in this area...others here will chime in..

12. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

Good advice so far, definitely determine your C/R, and lower if needed.

Water Meth is definitely a good idea, just don't tune specifically for it.

I know this is a ways down the road for you, but when you are ready give us a shout for pricing on the Procharger

13. SRTLUVR

Sounds good. I'll talk with Andy about this. Many thanks Adam!!
    Great thought. I'm looooving my new tires I just got, so I'm good there. I will probably do the Razors Edge subframe brace at that point, just for some rigidity as well. Good heads up Rick.
    Yeah, I understand where you're coming from Larry. I've heard of a few guys blowing up Z06 motors when adding forced induction, because it was a higher compression motor. Thanks buddy.

14. 8yourM5

8yourM5 Full Access Member

Chase I have my kit I will let u have it for 3000 shipped to ur door right now. It's already boxes up just need to add a name to the shipping line

15. SRTLUVR

Dude I know........bank account just a tad "tight" right now. Dropped $4K on my SHR tranny, and just got back from Vegas. But yes, I know. :( Off to bed, early day at work tomorrow. Lemme think on it bro......

16. Brad Jones

Brad Jones New Member

How about a Torque Converter specifically built for F/I ?? Chris (Legmaker) can tell you about that issue!

17. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Meth buddy Meth...

and X's 2 on the compression...

I am gonna be in the double digits on Boost and I took Chris (HEMI~C~'s) advice on going down to 9:1

18. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

Low C/R FTW!

19. PPPAndy

PPPAndy New Member

His converter is good to go.

Motor is 10.3:1, definitely no problem for up to 10psi. I would go with the stage II Tuner kit and Stage II srt-4 injectors and a BAP.

20. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Absolutely correct.

What about his camshaft?