What are signs of a fuel pump going out?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cygnus, Jan 7, 2008.

1. psi chick

psi chick New Member

with a clogged filter you get crappy gas mileage more than anything. it's just way more common for our pumps to go than anything.

2. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

but if your replacing the pump it doesnt hurt to put a fresh filter as well :grin:

its kindof like if you change your water pump are you gonna use the same timming belt??
    thats all i was trying to say :grin:

3. nevinsrt

Jesus when you evetually figure out the problem let us all know :grin:

4. Cygnus

Cygnus Platinum Supporting Member

Not good!

I ordered my Walbro 255 Fuel Pump from Modern Performance. Got it here today and will be installing it tomorrow with help from a friend. It cost my wife and I $99.99 plus shipping. We paid for 2-day delivery so $135 total.

The one I bought brings everything... install kit for the SRT-4 and comes with the fuel filter.

5. Cygnus

Will do... its nothing but problems the last 2 weeks with the car lol. Started crapping out as soon as we started having those cold fronts and what not down here.

6. Cygnus

Not worth just checking the fuel filter, might as well replace the fuel pump and filter while you have the tank down. Just checking it would be a waste of time. Removing the canister I heard is a pain. While you have the tank down might as well take care of all that. Parts first labor later. I don't go checking parts, if its between the time interval I just replace them. I don't like waiting till they get bad or are going bad. Unfortunately, things such as the fuel pump can go out or start going out at any given mileage so its something I could not change within a certain required interval since in all reality it doesn't have one.

7. Cygnus

Fuel pump has been installed, was installed Saturday. AFR's in the 10's. Looks like part of the problem has been solved. The filter on the stock pump was disguisting. BTW that's at 46k miles. I have an upstream O2 sensor now to install and I already installed a new MAP sensor. Just covering all aspects in which give input to the PCM on the boost being pushed through as well as the air/fuel mixture.

Also had to rewire part of the map harness from a previous map clamp on the car.

Might do the PTP Fuel Pump re-wire.

8. nevinsrt

Alright!!!:viking:

Great job!!:deshade:

9. psi chick

psi chick New Member

good to hear :)

10. bigbird03

bigbird03 New Member

my car was making a really whiney noise coming from the fuel pumps area and i threw some injector cleaner in my tank (lucas) and it eventually stopped.
    BUT no garuntees because it felt a little jumpy tonight so i dont know if maybe whatever it is is coming back or what.

11. Cygnus

When you get a chance I suggest you upgrade to the Walbro just for safe measures.