Vreds vs. NT05s?

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by Quick, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I haven't been able to find any direct comparisons (and I desperately need new tires).

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

I can not speak for the Vreds, but I got a ride in Hal's 300 with the NT05's and I must say, for a street tire, they grab very similar to a DR.

My choice would be the NT05's, hands down.

Yes, I was that impressed.

3. Quick

Yea, I have the impression that the Vreds are so-so for traction off the line. I want that but I'm going to be putting more weight on handling. The general impressions I have so far is that the Vreds are probably going to be superior in design but the NT05s are going to have a better (stickier) compound. What I don't know about is construction characteristics. For example the Invo's seem to be a bit on the soft side on initial turn in compared to the Vreds. How gradually do they break away? and how much margin do you have before they let loose completely? That sort of thing.

You can get tires with more grip that have a very fine line between total grip and total lack of grip that would be better in the hands of drivers like Rick but I'd probably do better with something with less total grip that has a wider zone where the feedback is telling you that it's approaching the release point.

I suppose warranty replacement might be something I'd factor in there. If there's a problem with the Vreds my only option is getting them shipped. With the Nittos there are local dealers. So the Vreds are going to have to be some amount better in other areas.

4. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

yay i got the NT's :)

5. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

It all comes down to money on these tires your gonna pay double for the NT05 so if your penny pinching and want some really good tires go with the VREDS for instance I got the VREDS for 795 shipped but for the same size shipped in the Nittos I would of payed near 1350

6. Quick

surprisingly the pricing wasn't that much different looking at discounttiredirect. In 275/40/20 the NT05s are $225 with free shipping.
    In 255/45/20 the NT05s are $191 (cheaper than the Invos in that size)

So in 275/40/20 the difference would only be around $100...?

7. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

I was pricing the Vreds vs the NT05

8. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

Get RSAs again that way you can on keep blaming them as the reason why you lose to me at the track. hehe

9. NYCSRTATE

NYCSRTATE Maximus Want 2 Go Fastius

Ide say it ON after that comment! :ilovesrtc::censored::nuke:

10. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

He couldn't beat me if his life depended on it. He of the state of the art Predator with custom tune and me of the uselessly old B&G ... NOT!! If he gets rid of the RSAs he loses his one and ONLY excuse.

HEY DAVE, you can get RSAs for $116 each!!!!!!! GO FOR IT!!!!!! hehehee

11. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

Too bad Bud aint around yet to join this discussion!

12. Quick

So was I. For 275/40/20 they'd be about $100 different. Different models vary a LOT in price for different sizes. I think they target them for particular cars and then the price goes on expected volume for other sizes if they make them at all.

The NT05s are
    $191 - 255/45/20
    $225 - 275/40/20

Probably close to the same amount of materials and they're not that different to require any significant design or manufacture process changes.

Next time I'll leave my 400 lbs of tools, the floor jack, and my bowling balls at home. So even with the 2 extra fat chicks if I'd warmed up my tires and launched it right for once you would have been toast.

Aren't you suppose to be measuring your steering wheel or something?

13. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

I love the Nt-05's. Can't do a camparison though.
    On our way to SpringFest we encountered a construction site and debris on the road. A small stack of 2X4's tnat were nailed together came out from under the truck in from of me, it was skating across the road, I couldn't avoid it, it bounced under my car. Evidently there was a nail sticking out of the wood. It punctured my tire and started leaking air slowly. I aired it up a couple of times. Actually that's when my car caught fire, after filling it up the 3rd time.
    I paid a little over $1,200.00 with tax for mine. They rebuilt the TPS's with new orings, mounted, balanced, and road hazard warranty. Guess what, I got mine replaced for free. How much would I have saved if I would have bought them 3rd person with no warranty. I would have had to buy another one for $225 plus shipping, mounting, balancining, and no warranty again.

The NT-05's rock. Anyone seeing me doing launches at our gas stop in Cali will attest to how well my car stuck. They are the best handling tire I've ever driven on.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  14. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

This is where i am stuck... as I want to go with the Nittos but maintain a stagger set up for road courses (based up on sways, springs etc) and maintain under 0.5" height difference between rear and front tires. rears being larger preferably..

So I would like to get some input from those who have run this combo or what sizes did you go with???

245/45/20 have a 28.66" height
    255/45/20 have a 29.02" height
    275/40/20 have a 28.62" height (but shorter than a 255)

Nitto does not make a 255/40 series product, but Pirelli, Toyo and Bridgestone do..

So do I stay with the stock stagger, go with a 255/45 front 275/40 rear and hope it works on the road courses??? historically and from what I am being told this is not the best combo for handling purposes.

The Nittos (Invos) on my BMW are very good..

Thoughts, comments, speak among yourselves...

15. Quick

I remember Rick did a stagger like what you're thinking of and wasn't happy with it.

I'd like you to get the 275/40/20 on all four corners, try them on the track and report back in 2 weeks. No later than 3 weeks.

Do you think the Invos feel a little soft on the initial turn-in? Like with a sudden turn or change of direction there's that little bit of time before the sidewall sets up? (I forget what it's called... it's where the tread is actually still tracking in the previous line while the wheel is tracking in the line of the turn due to sidewall flex).

16. NYCSRTATE

NYCSRTATE Maximus Want 2 Go Fastius

LMFAO

Ummm nope.

17. Quick

18. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

My next trip is the end of the month so it will be 3 weeks..

Dave.. if you are referring to a stagger where the front is higher than the rear I believe you are correct.. that this set up is not going to provide positive results..

I am worried that a 275s up front may have clearance issues especially when pushed hard in the turns..

Re: the query on the initial soft feeling, I have experienced this, but I believe it is due to tire pressure issues... Nitto's in my experience are sensitive to the pressure and I find myself checking tire temps (with a temp gun on inner, mid and outer portions of the tires) and pressures before and after my time on the track, usually 4 - 5) 20 minutes sessions per day..

19. Quick

I didn't even think about the height difference... but I sort of thought Rick went with the 245/45/20 in front and the 275/40/20 in the rear (Invos). So it was all width.

I've always heard the 275s had no clearance issues at all, but then again I don't recollect anyone who tracks their car like you do who ran the 275s up front.

20. StnePny3

StnePny3 Full Access Member

I have the NT 05's and can not wait for my track day this month & next month. I like the Nitto Nt 05's since I saw the at SEMA. The only other tire that I want (and could not get till Sf '09) after I bought my Nitto Nt 05's was the Bridgestone potenza RE 70's (the new Nissian Skyline) only saw 19's till SF '09 & the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 looks like another good tire.

I was told at SF '09 these could not be had, that , there was a waiting list. I'm I right Cindy. I have a good line on the Nitto's 255/45-20 ($190.) & 275/40-20 ($230.) on the westcoast.

Sorry, Ron for letting my secret out. I will still take care of you when you come out (just be gentle).