Vortech Track Updates....

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by Stretch, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

Vortech Track Updates.... UPDATED PULLY

Well, after getting my arse handed to me a few time from Moe due to ZERO traction, I finally was able to get a LITTLE traction and measure the new track times with the Vortech SC installed. I had traction issues before the install, but now, well lets just say I pretty much had to just take my foot off the break and let it start rolling before I could mash the gas pedal. Lol! The track here is pretty much just a section of the parking lot at the "Q" stadium, so yes.... IT SUCKS. But, that is where my previous test were conducted and now with the Vortech install, the new test. Once I figured out how to get rolling, I could definitely feel the difference. I bested my best time slip from a 8.78 to a 8.47 twice. My 60 ft times were higher now with the Vortech due to increased traction issues, but the top speed and times increased a lot for an 1/8th mile track. I can see I definitely need to adjust the shift points (it shifts out of 1st way too early). When I took it out of auto, I could usually hit my best times and could feel an increase in the pull at the start of each race once I had traction. I will HAVE to get the new halfshafts and add some DR's. There is so much more available launching power from these cars if we can safely hook up, just ask our Jeep Brothern! So bottom line, even with a VERY safe tune and worse 60 ft times, my times and speed increased.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  2. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

So... what was your R/T, 60' time and 1/8 trap?
    and how come you didn't order the ho's out there to run for comparison?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  3. Jected

Jected Aussie Blown 426

Is this on a 5.7L or 6.1L. If on a 5.7L not bad considering a bad track, but if a 6.1L you need some traction my friend.

Any slips?

4. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

6.1L SRT

5. Jected

Jected Aussie Blown 426

Definitely a HUGE improvement to be seen still then.

Best of luck with it, get some decent rubber under it and get to a real track :).

Enjoy mate and keep us posted.

6. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

How is traction MORE of an issue now off of the line? The Vortech doesn't make boost until around 2800 rpms right? I've driven two of the cars (Jason's and Ryan's) and it feels "exactly" the same as mine until higher rpms. Good job on the times!

7. sdcarguy

sdcarguy A bit off

Well I put 3 cars on moe from a roll on the street and I was in second so if hes beating you your not launching right ;) As far as shifting to early in first its probably spinning and short shifting. I had that a lot when its good cold air. About 4500 the boost levels cause tire spin in first ;)

8. Stretch

RT's sucked as well, usually between .7 and 1.1... Lol! Seems like I was concentration more on easing the break off and light pressure on the gas than the tree. 60' SUCKED, especially when I was spinning half way down the track most of the night. I had to leave full traction control on most of the time and still no traction. Usually 60' times were 2.1 to 2.3 due to spinning issues.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  9. Stretch

I have a bunch of slips, actually got to make about 20+ runs until a bike layed it down and they had to close one of the two tracks. I'll see if I can copy some. It's an SRT (6.1) Times do not do it justice due to traction issues. Even after shifting to second I would break traction once in a while and have to get out of it.

10. Stretch

Yes, rubber is a big issue, but the track SUCKS!

11. Stretch

You still get an increase in power, just not as much as I was thinking I would get on taking off, definitey more in the higher RPMs which is good for the track until I get traction. If there were any more boost in the lower end, my tires would be bald for sure.

12. Stretch

Even though he consistantly beat me off the line due to me having to "feather" the pedal, once I could get a little traction, I could walk him down. He goes to the track so much, he has it down pat! Lol!

13. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Drew, are you still running those 600 treadwear tires in the back? Call it a hunch....but I think that may also be part of the traction problem!!! LOL

14. Quick

I'm perplexed. Here's one of my slips.

R/T : .261
    60' : 2.113
    330' : 5.747
    1/8 : 8.628
    MPH : 83.59

So I've hammered you off the tree
    It looks like you've caught up at the 60' (!) so traction shouldn't be an issue anymore.
    And we did about the same at the 1/8.

I would have expected you to be further ahead?

15. Stretch

Nope... got a hole in one of the tires that they couldn't fix and they needed replacement anyway. All they had were the Yokohama Paradas... had to put something on Lol! Not a bad tire, but not the best traction.

16. Stretch

Hi Perplexed, I'm Drew... J/K... I did have two that were 8.47, but most were right there with you in the 8.6 range. Having to lift half way down the track due to breaking traction in second, doesn't help the time slips not to mention the top end. I did best my top end speed by 4 mph though if that helps. The Vortechs will definitely do better on the 1/4 than the 1/8th tracks I would think. Like everyone knows, the power is in the higher RPMs and it seems like by the time she's really pulling hard, the race was over. I did walk some impressive cars down that I thought I could not beat, but on the other hand, I had my arse handed to me by some sleepers! Lol!

17. Quick

Ummm, my car is not a sleeper... So it sounds like the Vortech had nothing to do with this. I think I'm going with Bud on this one. It might be time to sacrifice the 60,000 mile michelins.

18. Stretch

See #15...
    Bottom line, ya, wish the Vortech was better tuned, but the Vortech did increase the top speed by 4 mph and 1/8th times by about 3 tenths which to me is a LOT, especially on a 1/8th mile track. Even with more traction problems. My 60' times were better with the stock tires...when they were new at least! Lol!

19. Quick

Don't you have a 1,000 lb stereo in the trunk? or was that the other car. Are you at pretty normal weight?

20. YoungMedic23

YoungMedic23 Vortech 426 SRT8 Jeep Rollin

Excuses excuses LOL! Bet u guys wish u had jeeps now don't you? My friend danny says he's having a hard time keeping his jeep in a straight line but he's not losing time because of it!