Tuning By Sean Roe...

Discussion in 'MidWest' started by Prof, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Prof

Prof Cantankerous Old Fart

Well, with several thousand dollars on the line I guess the next step is to open this opportunity up to Viper Alley...any others interested?

2. Prof

We have picked up a couple of people...this will be a great opportunity if you need Sean's services...

Roy

3. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Roy you might not want too many to tune. It will take at least several pulls to tune one truck if it is able to be dialed in easy...time will be eaten by strapping down and then unstrapping, letting the motor cool down between pulls, adjusting the tune between pulls, etc..

My truck was on the dyno for 5 hrs being tuned.........about 2 hrs was wasted because the SCT I had was missing an update.....something to do with differences between 2004 and 2006 trucks......Torrie was about to give up tuning my truck when he remembered this glitch in the early tuners....he had actually developed the patch for SCT to correct this problem.....just a thought if someone has trouble making tunes work...my SCT came from Marty.................and I dont mean Marty sells defective tuners...the missing patch was SCT's fault....but he might have received a batch of tuners missing the patch and I believe he sold about 50 to VTCOA members in that group buy..

4. Prof

Good input.

The temps are going to be in the mid 50's which should help...winter comes early here.

...we are a week away from Sean being here.

I can take one or possibly two more on Saturday Oct 4th.

Anyone interested? We are a go as we are...but it is a great opportunity.

5. Prof

OK...here is the tentative schedule:

Scream now or forever hold your peace...or is it piece...???

Sean arrives in Chicago at 10:30 Friday, Oct 3. Roy will transport him to Fouts Residence...drop off luggage get lunch, and go to Westech Automotive in Silver Lake.

Roy's Toy Truck to be tuned 1:00 - 3:00

Joe Bryant 3:00 - 5:00

6:00 Dinner at 75th Street Inn (eight or nine people estimate.)

Sean to Fouts home for Friday night. (Wadsworth, IL)

Saturday Oct. 4

Matt McCarron 8:00 - 10:00

Steve Smith 10:00 - 12:00

Lunch at local Bar...we can drink our calories...

Wayne Rider 1:00 - 3:00 ???

Matt DevilDog 3:00 - 5:00

Sean and Roy retire to Wadsworth and have dinner at Stevens 7:30 pm (Gurnee, IL)

Questions???

Comments???

This should be a ball!

6. Prof

We have a cancellation, so if you have a VEC we can put you in at the end of the day on Saturday...anyone interested?

7. Prof

Well Sean did his magic...Westech was a wonderful facility and were great hosts...

[​IMG]

Having two of the top people in the country dyno your vehicle is an amazingly calming and reassuring experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had vehicles from MN, WI, IL and MI.

Lots of horsepower, lots of laughs, and incredible people!

8. Prof

And now before you ask...about final hp and tq numbers:

You know I have no idea!

Sean and Norm gave me an education about tuning that emphasized the concept that hp and tq are really just marketing points...neither of them was at all concerned about the numbers...it was all about air/fuel ratios, cooling in specific rpm ranges, and about a dozen other parameters...that just confused me.

So I did not even ask...

I do know that the truck is wicked fast after yesterday afternoon's final session. We found a technical issue with the injection angle of the meth that made a huge difference...

I am so stoked that I can't sleep.

My estimate is close to 750 rwhp...but I am very old, tend toward exaggeration, and have been known to outright lie without reason.

Sean says he saw a number close to 600, but that since it was a Mustang dyno he didn't have a frame of reference because all of his experience prior to this was on a Dyno Jet...

I think I will seek a Dyno Jet this week to get a number...Sean cautioned me that if I develop a conversion factor that it may or may not apply to anyone else with a build like mine, and certainly could not be applied to different vehicles or set ups.

But I know inquiring minds will want bottom line numbers and all of us know that if you have any ego at all you need to use a Dyno Jet for those hp and tq figures!

Whatever the numbers are...it runs so good!:thumb3:

9. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Congrats prof.. ..you are correct about the numbers on the dyno...as I have said many times...dummy, dynos are for tuning, tracks are for bragging.

When Torrie of Unleashed Tuning tuned my truck he mentioned the same things Sean said to you (Sean & Torrie have worked together before) "it was all about air/fuel ratios, cooling in specific rpm ranges, and about a dozen other parameters".....

You will note that my truck did not make any bigger than normal numbers (625HP) with the 10LB pulley but I am the fastest non-ntrious Roe truck in the timeslip section (12.184 @ 115.89).....this is what matters to me..

10. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Ahhhhh Sean and Torrie are intelligent people.

Dyno's are for TUNING only (been saying that forever).

Glad it was a great turn out Roy. Hopefully our News Letters helped?

Enjoy the new found power.

11. Prof

I greatly appreciate the support of this site...and to my surprise Viper Alley did not eat me alive...yet...

I learned a few things about putting on an event like this...but the bottom line was that I wanted Sean to tune my ride...asking if anyone else wanted some of his time while he was here just lowered my cost a little, and gave me the chance to meet some really super people from the Mid-west.

These vehicles are magic...somehow they create "family" with little else in common...what a miracle...life is so good.

12. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

here here... :hug: