Timing chain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crock, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Crock

Crock Communication

New upgrades for my 6.1 I have an inertia cam and inertia performance heads. My question is do I upgrade the timing chain or don't I notices several company's carry them but do they help any? Pro's and Con's on this items would help me greatly every site description are about the same so I looking for advise on y I should or shouldn't get this item.

2. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

If you have more than 30k miles on the current one, I'd update it. Depending on which cam you got, you can get an adjustable timing set to change the advance on the cam too.

My SRT Max is advanced 4 degrees with a Crower adjustable timing set (requires notched pistons).

3. King Savage

King Savage Nasty Canasta

If you are not going to adjust your timing like Adam said, then buy a stock 6.1 timing set.

4. Crock

Crock Communication

Question Does it make a difference? The timing chain has two links that are blue and one link on the other side of the chain that is blue does it make a different if the two blue links are at 6:00 o'clock and the single link is at 1200 o'clock. The engine was at TDC and the crank keyway at Chrylser symbol and arrow on cam timing wheel straight up.

5. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

Don't sweat the blue links. If you're at TDC with the cam gear arrow up and crank key at the pentastar, you're good to go.

6. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Adam is correct, don't worry about the links, chain is chain...#1 at TDC, cam gear mark at 12:00. and just be very sure the keyway on crank to oil pump is in the 2:00 position or aiming directly at the pentastar on the oil pump. A straight edge helps. Crank gear mark at this point will be in the 6:00 position, but you can't see it with the pump in.

7. Crock

Crock Communication

Thank up just making sure everything is good to go when I get problems I always doubt my work but with this information i'm sure i'm good