Thunder Hill HPDE (open track) May 3-4

Discussion in 'Autocross/Road Racing' started by MoneyPit, Apr 29, 2008.

1. MoneyPit

MoneyPit Exposed Member

I'll be there this weekend. We're actually running the track backwards this time. Next month its being run in normal config.

This is my first NASA event so I have to start out as a greenhorn at Level 1 with an instructor in the car. No biggee. Hopefully he'll point out a few bad habits.

Would have posted this sooner but I didn't know this forum existed :)

Thunder Hill is a 3-mile road racing course in Marysville CA for those not familiar with it.

2. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Should be a good time. I'll be back on the road courses in the next year or so and I wanna check Thunder Hill out, since its so close. :happy:

3. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

Its always good to have someone pointing out bad habits, it helps make you faster!!!!!

Well good that you found this forum
    hopefully you'll have more events to share with us.

and man Id love to drive that course too bad i dont live closer:eek:oh:

4. MoneyPit

MoneyPit Exposed Member

I ran Laguna Seca a couple weeks ago and at present appear to have the fastest LX lap time of 1:54.2. Thats about 4.5 seconds faster than my previous personal best, but I also did a virtual rebuild of the car to attune it to road course use ... and I was almost totally unfamiliar with some new characteristics and had a mechanical difficulty with the brakes: fluid that sat on the shelf too long and had lost its factory seal. You can guess the rest of that story.

This weekend is Thunder Hill (backwards) and June is Thunder Hill again going in the usual direction. I think July is either Willow Springs or Buttonwillow and I am back on Laguna in August. Hopefully loaded for bear and ready to take a lot more time off. A sub-1:50 lap time is a dream but I'm going for it anyway.

EDIT: For anyone wondering, this is all NASA High Performance Driving Event stuff. Inexpensive (relatively) track days on the *weekend*, which is tough to get from most track vendors.

5. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

MR... keep me informed as i am ready in about a month with my MSRT .. got CAI, Corsa, Diablo, and Strut Bar on as of last week and will be doing suspension in about a month.. can I play in your back yard...????

Ken

6. nevinsrt

man too bad im still not stationed out there.

7. MoneyPit

MoneyPit Exposed Member

Hey Ken good to see you again!

I am waiting to sign up for Thunder Hill in June, but only after this weekend so I know what group to sign up for (in case I get signed off for HPDE 2) and to be absolutely sure the car survives well enough to go again :)

I'll keep you posted bud.

8. nevinsrt

Bump for tomarrows Event!!!

9. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

Cool... keep me posted... & thanks for the NASA site link.. was just was I was looking for... I will see if I can get ready for June as well.. if not it looks like it it will be August for TH...

Ken

10. MoneyPit

MoneyPit Exposed Member

A tuning issue sidelined me :-(

On my way from Fresno to Willows I stopped by my motor builder/tuner's house Friday evening to get his latest tune and a checkup before I hit the track (VERY cool that he did that BTW... we couldn't hook up before then during business hours).

So the tune was changed and suddenly the car hated life. We also smelled an exhaust leak, and the CMR software was showing the car going bonkers pulling fuel like crazy. Went back to old tune and pretty much the same story. The car acted ok but the cauges said differently.

So rather than beat the living shit out of it the next day, we decided the best thing for the motor was to bail and figure out what was up (acts like air in the system thats driving the computer crazy... and I've had the cats loosen at their bolts before).

That meant unloading the floor jacks, lawn chairs and spare parts, loading them back up into a loaner and driving home. Arrived at 12:45 am.

Bummer, but there's always another track day. Luckily NASA track days are only like $150 or so. A more typical commercial vendor would probably be double that.

11. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Hope you get it figured out.

12. nevinsrt

Always better to try another day and save the car!!!
    that sucks!!!!

13. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

Bummer MP... but better you caught it early than maybe toast something down the road... let me know if we can help..