SXT, R/T or SRT Challenger?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stingray, Mar 14, 2013.

1. stingray

stingray stingray

Which model Challenger will give the smoothest, comfortable ride and isolation over bumps, potholes on real world roads? (torn up roads).:please:

Attached Files:

2. stingray

stingray stingray

anyone out there?:popcorn::yawn:

Attached Files:

3. NOTPAID4

NOTPAID4 Platinum Supporting Member

I do NOT own a challenger, however IMO the 5.7 seems like the best overall car. Truth be known thought, IF I were to get one it would have to be an SRT.

4. stingray

stingray stingray

I want that headlight option of HID headlights so I would go with SRT also. Not sure if R/T comes with HID option.

5. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

I have no idea. But, if I were buying for me, I'd want the SRT, if I were buying for the Mrs, I'd probably buy an R/T. The Mrs, would probably like to think she'd want and SRT, but at the end of the day, I don't think she'd be happy with it.I think she'd always be partly afraid of it.

6. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I just checked the Dodge website and it does have HID's as an option for R/T's.

7. stingray

stingray stingray

Is the 10,000 extra for the SRT worth it? Do you think she could really tell the difference other than the graphics?

8. stingray

stingray stingray

That's great as it gives us more options. You can also get the 3.92 rear end on the R/T as an option which is standard on the SRT.
    I wish on the SXT (I know it isn't a V8) it also had a choice of a manual transmission.

9. loxmith

I test drove an SRT Charger...and HELL YEAH, it's worth it. The thing is, it's not just the extra money to buy, but it will be a lot extra to maintain as well. But, for me, it'd still be totally worth it. But like I said for the Mrs, she likes to talk about having a powerful car, but what she really means is she doesn't want a 2.0L that can't accelerate to get on the freeway...not a car that is going to break it's tires loose if she pushed a little to hard on the go pedal. LoL!

10. stingray

stingray stingray

You mention extra maintenance. More maintenance than a new Corvette or new Mustang GT 5.0?

Attached Files:

11. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

:hmm:

I dont see it as any more expensive to maintain than an RT. The HEMI takes 7qt's of Mobile 1 (or similar) but that is true of the 5.7 as the 6.1 and 6.4. If he gets an R/T, w/ 20" wheels, he would have the same cost in tires, and other stuff is just general maintenance stuff depending on how you drive. I do 95% of my own maintenance work as these are very easy cars to work on.

12. loxmith

Really, the 5.7 take 7 quarts of synthetic as well...I thought it was only the SRT's that required that, and the Synthetic. Do the 5.7 require premium fuel as well?

13. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

The 6.1's didn't require 93 either. They came with 89 as the requirement. The compression wasn't that high on these motors so it wasn't needed. It wasn't till I ran my 93 tune from Diablo and now with the supercharger that I have had to run 93.

Yeah the 5.7's need 7 quarts and 16 sparkplugs just as the 6.1's do.

The 3.6 needs 6 quarts of oil lol.

To be honest, if your doing normal driving, just throw in the Mobile Clean 15000. I use that in my trucks and I am good for 15,000 miles between oil changes. It is like $9 a quart, but I change my oil once or twice a year.

14. stingray

stingray stingray

16 sparkplugs?:stars: Copper? Iridium? Platnum?
    Is this what makes a Hemi engine special?
    How many plugs on the SXT Challenger?

15. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Yes all HEMI's have dual spark plugs for each cylinder.

Which spark plug depends on your tastes but when you do a search in auto zone for 2013 challenger SRT8....this is what they recommend.

NGK/Racing spark plug (4554) | Spark Plug - Performance | AutoZone.com

16. stingray

stingray stingray

I see.
    Are these racing plugs ok to use on a factory stock SRT Challenger as a daily driver?
    Does AutoZone sell good batteries "Duralast car batteries" (Made by Johnson Controls?
    Kirkland brand from Costco cost alot less for a car battery.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  17. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

They were only like $4 each, they had other more generic ones for like $2.99 which I think isn't the worst since you change them every 100,000 miles (or so) if you drive "normally".

I am running the sears die hard batt's. They aren't the exact "type" of battery for the charger, but its a better and smaller battery that has lasted much longer and performed much better for me than the OEM one that came with it that died after 2 years (mainly due to the mods lol).

18. stingray

stingray stingray

No mods for me:stars: I just want reliability and factory stock fitted. The batteries in most of these Chargers and Challengers are in the trunk?
    So far Kirkland car battery from Costco is the lowest price. Interstate is most expensive among these types of auto batteries.

19. loxmith

I knew the 5.7 took two spark plugs, just like the SRT, I just didn't know they required as much oil, and synthetic.

20. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

If you are not modded, the 6.1 has been a REALLY solid motor, and it does appear the 6.4 is following suit.

And if you are buying new, battery is not something to worry about anytime soon haha

I use Synthetic in everything i have, so i dont even really know if the 5.7 "requires" it, but if you use the clean 15000 mobile stuff, the cost evens out. If you assume that 3,000 interval on standard oil, one mobile 1 oil change takes the place of 5 "standard" oil changes.