SRT8 Road Racing Mods

Discussion in 'Autocross/Road Racing' started by Bud, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Aside from power adders, what "should" be on my list of mods to do? I have KWv2's, Hotchkis Sways, Strut Tower Braces (front/rear). Here's what I've come up with:

• Razors Edge Sub Frame Connectors
    • Razors Edge Adjustable End Links
    • Limited Slip Differential
    • Big Brake Kit
    • Replace w/polyurethane Bushings....I just can't stomach 2k quite yet

1fastsedan mentioned something with the brake lines, but can't remember exactly. And, I've heard about transmission coolers but haven't heard it talked about much. Any other suggestions??

2. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

I'd have to say the $$$ to get it all done! LMAO!!!

*Someone delete this after Rick reads it!

3. diegochrysler

diegochrysler Jose"GR8CHORIZO"Jalapeno

Ricky,

I believe Adam was talking about the Stop Tech Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines...............................

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Chrysler/300C_SRT8.htm

I think they are a good price. They are more for function, because your not going to see them were they sit.

4. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Uhhh....I'm pretty sure 12.5k will cover it! I plan on investing the other half. And using next years reenlistment bonus installment for more mods to waste you with. Its NOW a personal quest of mine to be able to destroy you!!! LOL

5. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

6. Cam

Cam Management up n smoke

Rick, you don't need a BB kit. But extra set of pads and rotors are always a good thing. You got the suspension covered pretty good. But I'll add that the stock suspension will stick side by side all day with the KW's and leave the Tein in the bush. So now it's time to look at cooling. A good tranny and oil cooler is a must, more so then anything else you have planned. Get a tranny temp gage you can monitor.

A spare set of rims and tires, at least two to bring to the track. Just incase things don't go your way one day. At least you'll be driving home.

7. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Hey Ricker....if your gonna get some spare wheels and tires...if you can get some decent spacers for 18's....Nitto has a new tire out (i dunno if you saw it) that looks pretty sweet that you might wanna at least look into...

The Nitto NT-01R's (specifically designed for road courses)

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0511phr_nitto_nt01_r_compound_tire_test/index.html

http://nittoracetires.com/price.html

8. nevinsrt

yup!! spare set of tires are always good.

9. Trojan

Trojan Trillions Bro! Right on!

Hey Bud,

The hot ticket is the police performance oil cooler, And a tranni cooler will help a ton as well. Power steering failure has hit a few times at the track as well.
    Ive also got a PS cooler hooked up.

Heres the info on the police cooler.
    [​IMG]
    Total parts run $220 (oil cooler mod only), and it's a great setup for the money.

Here are those part numbers:

53022168-AA HOUSING THERMOSTAT 7043001
    4596561-AC HOSE RADIATOR 7014005
    4596562-AC HOSE RADIATOR 7014005
    503752 3-AA COOLER ENGINE OIL 7011005

Expect the radiator to be working harder, as engine coolant is the cooling medium for the oil cooler. A fan mod will be required for optimum benefit.

10. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Wasn't it SgtStanko that did the Oil/trans/ps cooler? (maybe it wasn't the trans...). There were step by step pics, evaluation of coolers, pricing. It was very extensive. Can't remember if it was Jeep only. Maybe it was JAAK?

11. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

You can out drive me as it is.

BTW: That oil cooler is a damn good idea and a reason why LE cars can maintain a pursuit forever.

12. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Steel braided brake lines keep the fluid a little cooler right?

I want the adjustable end links so I can dial in some neg camber at the track.

The harness is what I really need. As "decent" as our seats our, I need a harness to keep me from sliding out of them. Thanks for the link Nevin...that's one "I" haven't seen before. I thought I'd have to put a cage in there to hook up a harness!!

Thanks Cam, I'll definitely add two (2) extra tires, pads, and rotors to the list of things to bring/buy. As much as I want a blower....I think I'd be better served with a H/C/I package, LSD, half shafts, and all the "essentials" to get to the track. That includes setting a couple grand aside to fund at least a couple track days for the year!

Steve - I looked into the Nitto's and "wish" they made them in 20's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the 18's can clear the front calipers????

Chris - Thanks for posting the parts. These are a couple of the first things I plan on doing here shortly!!!

13. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

with spacers you can do it....

i just dont know if it will be ok for road racing purposes...and i wont pretend to know if that will work or not hahaha

14. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

15. Quick

I don't think the braided brake lines do anything for fluid temps. They don't expand under pressure which gets rid of that spongy feel to the pedal. You just need to pick the right fluid for the temps. The tradeoff is how often you have to change it.

Same thing for braided lines. Dust and grit gets trapped between the braid and the line and causes abrasion. Ideally you'd want a braided line that has an outer layer of rubber or whatever to seal it.

16. Quick

Bud, check this out. Anything and everything you want to know about trans and ps coolers for the LX by Matt Robertson

17. nevinsrt

fluid is gonna get hot regardless

what happens is under heavy and hard braking the stock rubber lines get hot and when hot they start to expand causing that squishy peddle feeling and decrease breaking.

the steel line doesnt expand like the stock rubber one
    so your brake stays constant.

now fluid.

the stock fluid has a certain boiling point. when fluid boils bubbles form in the brake fluid causing decreased braking
    upgrading the fluid raises the boiling point and cuts down on how much bubbles form in the lines.

before each Race day you should bleed your brakes to get any bubbles that might be in there from regular street driving, and after the race since you pushed the fluid

you should also invest in some speed bleeders if you havent already i know there was talk about them in either this section or the 8 section

I bleed mine before and after each race and when i dont race i bleed them every month

and that harness i used in my wifes cavalier when she tracked it. its really great, nice, and convient.
    when not in use just unclip and pull over the seat and tuck behind under the seat.

im gonna have to pick up 2 more for her cruiser.
    the one that was in her Cav i have to my coworker so he could use it while he AutoXes

18. nevinsrt

you get neg camber by
    1 lowering the car
    2 camber plate
    3 camber bolts

endlinks just help stiffen up the swaybar.
    but there a good investment too.

and once you set it up with the desired deg
    mark it with a marker, paint, tape

that way you can take it off and not put too much wear on the tires when city driving.

i dont have plates on mine so im aways sitting at -2

19. nevinsrt

20. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR