SRT Engineer Chat now at Chargerforums

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by Quick, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

The SRT Engineer Chat is happening now at Chargerforums

2. Goats

Goats God of skittles

really

3. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

I wonder what information they are not sharing today.

4. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

Pretty much everything.

5. Raland

Raland Full Access Member

So who/how is this chat thing setup? I've read a bunch of the past ones and took a quick peak at this one. It would seem that having a direct connect to SRT engineering could be "harnessed" in a way that is more beneficial to us and them.

Specifically it would be nice to pick a subject and then go a little more in-depth than yes/no answers. A book can tell me yes or no, engineers should be able to tell me WHY and that might take a couple sentences back to back....

6. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

In theory, you're right, Raland. Experience has proven time and time again that these sessions are little more than smoke and mirrors, a PR exercise. More questions are dodged than answered. <end rant>

7. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

Cliffs notes anyone lol

8. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

ozzie - i am with you on this one!!! i can remember waaaaaaay back when, when i first sat through one of these "sessions" and was sooo excited to hear what they were going to say, only to walk away shaking my head and wondering if they gave us anything at all of importance????

9. RobAGD

RobAGD Cranky Wanker

those are a wait of time I hate to say it. They answer queston about floor mats but dodge everything about spark, knock, AF numbers injector info etc.

Hell I think I cause them to get a case of the hives when they see me post a question that just pick and chose what candy ass stuff to answer.

-R

10. Quick

Actually I think they are of great value. They do answer direct questions that are within somewhat restricted bounds. Occassionally they do go out of bounds a little bit. Example from tonight's chat (paraphrased):

Question: "Will any damage come from running a 180* (180* T-stat mod)? Will A/F or timing be effected?"
    Team SRT answer: "No".

And, yes, I finally got a definitive answer to my overhang question. YES, the nose/clearance overhang (angle of attack) is pretty much the same for all the LX SRT8s. So if you drop a Charger and can make Bud's driveway without scraping, I could drop my Magnum the same amount and also make Bud's driveway without scraping.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  11. Quick

And no -- get real -- they're not going to answer questions like "If I'm using a 150 shot can I expect my bottom end to hold up for at least 75K?"

They are speaking as DC SRT8 engineers. They are representing the company. DC could possibly be held liable for whatever they say. So, sure, maybe non-information for what you want to know but you can't expect them to tell you how to mod your car for the max HP. They will tell you almost any detail about your stock car. For example the answers NasaRacer got about the rear shocks and springs and the differences between the Mag, 300, and Charger.

12. Raland

Actually Quick it was their correct but completely useless answer to your question about injector pwm that really got me thinking on this.

It would have been nice to get a follow up question and get some useful information.

And my interest is peaked now on the "we don't recommend catch cans", yet it's well documented how much oil the cans are keeping out of the intake. The revised PCV value question was not really answered which ties right into this subject.

13. Raland

Exactly, it seems like 50% of the time was spent on (non) answers related to:
    1. Can't talk about future products
    2. Can't talk about other companies products (mods)
    3. Can't help you with dealer issues other than who to call.
    4. The front suspension cluck is a dead horse, give it up

All of which is to be expected when talking to a company engineer behind the iron curtain. This is where a chat moderator filtering the questions would be helpful IMO.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  14. Quick

Agreed. I will say this chat was the most "anemic" to date. Sounded like maybe only one not so enthusiastic engineer showed up. I was going to follow up on that but I had to go bowling... I think the answer would have been that there are many base values in a map that are then modified by the short and long term adaptives. Those values themselves probably would have possibly been numerous as well as being "proprietary" information they probably wouldn't have enumerated.

Yes, they certainly could have answered if there was an updated PCV valve or not. (I doubt it).
    Yes, they certainly could have answered if the oil being introduced into the manifold was effecting A/F or accounted for.

I think the value you get out of the chats is very dependent on knowing how to ask the right, very specific, question.

To tell the truth I found the specific answer to the 180 T-stat question a bit suprising. I think that single answer made that session worthwhile.

15. Raland

That's funny, I was thinking the engineer was like the genie giving out three wishes, if you're not careful, you'll end up on a deserted island with your two best friends.... :oops:

I agree, especially considering the very passionate "holy war" type of response the issue has on people. Extra happy since I just put in the 176* valucraft. :beer:

That's kind of a risky answer from a company man, I hope the EPA and CARB nazi's don't have a search running in the matrix, that engineer will never be seen again. :scare:

16. HalV48

I just don't bother attending anymore. I would have thought the new Chrysler would not be so evasive now, with Mercedes out of the picture.

17. Raland

This is kind of just whoring to get my 50th post, but where can I order a real paper copy of the service manual(s). When I worked at Alldata I think we ordered them all directly from Helm publishing but that was all GM stuff.

18. HalV48

Call my son Wes at Henry Brown, or just post it up in their vendor forum.

19. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

I agree that there is value to these sessions but, and a big but (hehehe) is that the question had to be phrased specifically and properly to stay within the boundaries...like Q suggested. It's also pertinent that a moderator filter some of these questions....I understand people's frustration, but some of the questions/comments were rather abrasive or completely useless. The useless questions were actually wasting time and frustrated me because, at least, "I" found them annoying...Not hatin' on our 5.7 bros, but the SRT engineer had to tell Mr. SRT design, straight up, that his car had really nothing to do with a true SRT (to paraphrase) ...LMAO That, in and of itself, was...well...entertaining.

20. RobAGD

RobAGD Cranky Wanker

The problem I have guys is I have asked very pointed questions about what the computer is doing and asked for a response as to why that or that happens and what conditions set it.

I have given them data logs and examples from 6.1's even though it is an issue on the 5.7's as well.

I dont even bother any more, ask lame ass tstat question, ask question about the brakes, and floor mats woop dee f'ing do

-R