SRT-8 Magnaflow Cat Back Reborn

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by Dookie, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Since my last build, i've gone through 3 different exhaust situations. I'm currently running Kooks catless mids to 2, 3" in, 3" out Aero Turbine mufflers with Blastin Bobs Glass Pack Reso's out back...Sound is pretty knarly at idle and WOT, but sounds weird mid range (baffled/raspy) and is REALLY loud. So loud, i get headaches when I drive it...So time for another change.

I went on the hunt for a used system to save money, and something that would quiet it down some, but still have good flow and sound in all areas...My choices were back to stock SRT8 exhaust, Borla/Volant, or Magnaflow.

I hit CL, Ebay, all the forums and while I found a few, nothing came to fruition. Either people didn't want to ship, or we couldn't come to a deal etc etc...

I saw a Magnaflow Charger SRT-8 system on CL in New Orleans...sent an email about it, and Cliff at SHR gave me a call. He told me a customer of SHR's had it on their car and decided to change, and wanted to sell. We struck a deal, sight un seen. The next day I drove to N.O. to pick it up and have a look around the new SHR shop. While there I saw some really cool projects. Eddie gave me some "scoop" on upcoming products SHR will be offering. All i'll say is it should be an exciting year at SHR...

Here is what the system looked like when I picked it up. Kinda rough, but for the deal I got, it was to be expected.

[​IMG]

I put some time into restoring it, lots of elbow grease and Scotch Brite. Got it back to something worthy of being installed on my car. Came out pretty good considering what I began with. The black portions are coated with Aluma Hyde II, a very durable epoxy base coating I have used in the past exhaust and on firearm projects with great results.
    Here is final product and will be installed this eve.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. Speedy

Speedy Blown by Speedlogix

Looks neat Kyle, dont forget the soundclip of when you are done!

Fredrik:pizza:

3. Bullishman13

Bullishman13 SRT8 Noob with a passion

Looks really good. I have Magnaflow catted mids tied into Flowmaster super 44's. Sounds good at idle (not really loud at all), has some good sound throttling into gears nice and easy, and damn mean WOT.

Mine is a 2008 Challenger SRT8 Auto.

I'm interested in the sound as well. If you had clips of each and the evolution that you've gone through, that would be cool too.

4. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Thanks for the compliments fellas. I don't have a compilation of every system I've done, but I have a few for comparison since this 426 build and PWR 240 cam. All clips are with the Kooks catless mids.

Stock SRT cat back: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...IMG_0689.mp4&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13244067448304

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...IMG_0700.mp4&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13244069577284

Here is stock header and catless mids only, no cat back:
    http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...IMG_0738.mp4&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13244069399074

Here is my current set up:
    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e288/kmr082671/181f0402.mp4

Will have a clip up with the Magnaflow system soon, will post.

5. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

6. slopar88

slopar88 New Member

im running some high flows and flow master 10 series. its loud at idle. hard to explain but its not like straight pipe annoying loud. and surprisingly no resonating in the cabin while cruising.

7. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Sound great Kyle!

8. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Never heard of flowmaster 10 series, got a clip?
    While mine is much quieter now, it is still far from quiet. Nice crack-a-lack at idle and has a great pulse at WOT. Most system that do drone, do so at ~1800-2200 RPM under light load conditions. This system has a little drone, not bad, but it's lower in the RPM range...say 1400-1700ish. Set the cruise at 70mph in 5th and it's pretty quiet in the cab. I may add my stock cats back later...this car may become my DD pretty soon.
    Thanks Larry! :ilovesrtc:

9. King Savage

King Savage Nasty Canasta

That sound clip at idle on the stands sounds nasty.

10. Speedy

Aaaarrrgghhh, I´m sitting in the middle of nowhere with a really bad connection so I can´t hear it, going home tomorrow and then...

I feel like the old Sator song:

http://youtu.be/jTTgyNBdCRc

Fredrik:cry:

11. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Thanks Jon, It's nothing to jiz over, but it sounds pretty damn good. I'm content I guess.

Up next is a set of staggered 20x9 front / 20x10 rear Viper reps in satin black with red stripe. Just bought a set of Nitto NT-420S's for the front in 255/40/20 and have the 315 NT05R's out back. Should be a great looking combo.

Fredrik, stay warm buddy...

12. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

Nice Kyle. I have given up on aftermarket systems and am going back to a stock cat back.

13. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Corsa?

14. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Thanks Erik...What does given up mean? And i'm right there with ya, the nostalgia of "loud" has definitely worn off...I guess I'm officially old. :baby:
    If I still had my stock system or could have gotten someone to ship me one, i'de be rocking that too. This Magnaflow system is much loder than stock, but much quieter than what I had. I'll use it for a while and sell it later. If I come across a deal on a Volant/Borla, i may try that. I;ve heard that in person, and it's pretty tame. Don't know about drone with it though, any insight?
    If you come across a deal on it, lemme know.
    Also, looking for a deal on some 300C SRT takeoffs. If I can get a set for a good deal, i'de go that route as well instead of the Viper Reps. Don't care about condition, I will repair any rash and coat them anyway. As long as they aren't dented or cracked.
    Keep me in mind on all the above, I know you come across all things LX pretty often.

Dave, IIRC, Erik has been running a Corsa Sport lately.

15. Speedy

Well, now at home and have listend to the diffrent clips, your current setup is by far the best in my opinion, nice crackle to it and it sounds frisky!
    The best sounding aftermarket I´ve heard is the corsa one, but I guess I´m old too, don´t want to make too much noice, I tend to attract the attention of Swedens finest anyway...

Fredrik:tooth:

16. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Unless something's changed the ONLY aftermarket with no drone is Corsa.

Maybe it's the "sport" part? I know the resonators are a different shape but I never got a good grip on how different they sound from the regular Corsa.

Here is a question: Is the acoustic tuning they do for something like a Corsa with zero drone on a 6.1L might have significant drone on a 426? I would expect the pulse intervals to about be the same.

What ARE the primary factors in canceling drone anyway? Got to be something like disrupting/canceling the standing wave/resonant frequencies that occur at particular RPMs? or any RPM? We got any acoustic engineers on here?

17. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

I thought the Corsa system was pretty quite till WOT? My Magnaflows aren't too bad except during the 1400 to 1800 rpm range when they are in drone mode. I am adding high flows soon, so I will see what changes.

Quick....
    I have seen tons of sound canceling explanations. I think Corsa has pretty good explanation on their site.

Sent from NS1iPad using Tapatalk

18. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Corsa Sport was the first system they released, then came out with the Extreme version.