So I think my wideband may be bad.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by kingnate, Sep 7, 2008.

1. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

So I went and dyno'd the quat saturday. And I was spiking a little high on the boost (about 20 ish) but my wideband (AEM uego) was saying I was around 11.3 that and the fact that it was pulling timing seemed weird.

Well I get on the dyno and it is reading 13.5 dropping to 12.8.

Thoughts? Bad sensor? Dirty sensor? anybody?

2. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

depending on who you talk to....they will tell you that no wideband gauge is very accurate...

had this convo with DynoSteve when he tuned my car and mentioned that i was going to get one....he isnt sold on them when he compares the reading form a real A/F reader to the widebands...

im sure that didnt help too much but just a thought...

3. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

WTF Nate. You go there at zero darkthirty. By the time I get there, you are already gone. TURD! lol At least your car is clean. lol

4. kingnate

I got there at 10, I had a company bbq that afternoon that I had to go to.

I was shocked last time I was half an hour early and I had 20 cars ahead of me.

Probably better though only a couple people there to see me shit my self when the AFR's didn't drop when he hit the gas.

5. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I thought AEMs sometimes aren't so good? Maybe that was Autometer? Is AEM using the Bosch sensor or their proprietary one? The Bosch sensors (provided they are heated properly, etc) should last about 50K miles. How long have you had it?

Is there a calibration process you can do like when it was new? If not, it's highly unlikely the problem would be in the electronics (controller, gauge, cables, etc.) so you might try replacing the sensor.

6. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

I don't know what is going on with yours, but if you want to upgrade to an Innovate LC-1 let me know. I have one new in the box for sale.

7. kingnate

It is the bosch sensor with a proprietary connector which has a laser trimmed resistor in them to keep from having to do the open air calibrations.

The wideband has probably been on the car for about a year and about 10k miles. I am going to pull the sensor this weekend just to take a peek at it.

8. turbosocks

turbosocks srt n00b

the AEM UEGO is the second best wideband sensor out there, ranking just under the innovate system according to a in-depth wideband shootout.

its weird that it is giving you readings that far off though, and especially richer.. i would pull the sensor and try to clean it up.

when my wideband went bad on my tiburon, it always would show the AFR as LEAN

9. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

True I've had both I went with the AEM UEGO this time for ease of installation plus you dont have to do a free air calibration. If you have the innovate try to recalibrate it. I believe the Majority of name brand widebands on the market are using the Bosch sensors now.

10. kingnate

Well when I looked at the injectors duty cycle they were up above 90% so I know I was running out of fuel, I didn't get a chance to look at EGT's till after I freaked and turned the boost way down.

i am going to pull the sensor this weekend and take a look at it. Any suggestions on how to clean it? I was thinking lint free towel and denatured alcohol if absolutely necessary.

I'm also thinking I should throw some s2 injectors on it. Anyone have some lightly used ones for sale?

11. Quick

If you're refering to that comparison in Ford Muscle Magazine? (something like that) it was a really lousy test. Very unscientific -- like opening the valve on a tank of test gas and holding a sensor up to it by hand... They only posted their subjective evaluation and never posted the raw data behind it. I do believe AEM is one of the better ones. Any of them in the top tier should be excellent.

They can be using the Bosch sensor without using the Bosch control IC. General opinion is that you can't do any better than the Bosch control circuit with that sensor. I'm not sure whether automatic calibration is an indication of that or not.

I'm not sure if you can clean them. Let us know if you find an authoritative answer anywhere. I do know there are some very fine/sensitive metals in the tip so be careful what chemicals you get on them. For example if you get anti-seize on the tip your sensor is pretty much toast (no, I don't know what chemicals are safe).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  12. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

Buy LM-1 or go home...

the end

13. kingnate

LOL funny thing is a guy at work has one that just crapped out for no reason and its maybe 2 weeks old.

Here is the dyno for anyone interested.

[​IMG]

14. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

Nice numbers Nate! Anyone see a comparison on how widebands can read too high or too low....

15. kingnate

Am I missing the sarcasm?

Here is the old setup boost leaks and compressor surge galore. I was also not running AFR's that are know to make cars explode. :magic:

[​IMG]

16. Quick

Don't understand the question. (what happened to our smilie with all the question marks over his head?)

With widebands it's generally how accurate they are, which mostly has to do with the controller since almost everybody uses the Bosch sensor. If they're off by a tenth they're fairly bad and if they're off by 2 tenths they're basically useless. It's not that some brands have a tendency to read on the high or low side if that's what you were asking. After that it's response time. You sort of want that to be under 400 milliseconds. Way under is good.

The sensors actually work on a chemical reaction kind of like your cats do so all sensors will have a finite life. In general, at least for narrowbands, when they start to drift as they wear out they're going to drift towards reading lean (so your engine ends up running rich). Malfunctions are most often of the doesn't-work-at-all variety.

Now what was the question? :D

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008