So Apparently....My car eats belts....

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by StevoSRT, Aug 22, 2010.

1. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

One of my thoughts is....this was designed for the smaller S-Trim blower, and this one is a little larger T-Trim...when installing it...you could see it was "snug" lol.

I am almost thinking that has to do with what you speak of here, however thats how the tensioner lines up. Would the "against the lip" idea have anything to do with the cogs being torn off?

One thing that is not making sense to me is that, this is the second time this happened, and with 2 different pulleys, with the tensioner set at two different settings.

I am still concerned that the pulley from the motor is spinning faster than the blower can handle...and is tearing the cogs off...is there a way to determine that without sticking my head down next to the blower while someone rev's the crap out of it? lol

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

How about some pictures of the actual belt? underside and top side. Where the tear occurred as well.

Yea, you can watch at normal stance and viewing while some rev's it. You may or may not see the belt expand and retract?

I still think the belt is being compromised by the tensioner. Riding on that lip isn't good for the belt. If the belt has a sudden expansion and jumps up onto that lip, the belt is finished.

It seems to me that if the blower pulley is spinning faster, it would merely strip the teeth from the belt rather than tearing the belt?

3. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I will take a picture of it today.

Not surprisingly, I seemed to describe whats going on wrong.

The Cog belt IS having the teeth stripped off.

The serpentine belt is whats tearing. Thats why the vid is half the S/C belt and the other part is serp belt.

4. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

F@$cking Steve. lol

Then everything I suggested, please throw out the window. lol

hmm Maybe the two issues are actually caused by ONE issue? It could be possible that the over spinning of the blower belt, which strips the teeth from the Cogs, is cause torque/flex issues with the serpentine belt, thus causing the tear?

I would say, first and foremost, resolve the Cogs Belt issue. Once that is figured out, then see what happens.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  5. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

see anything with the serp belt? LOL

6. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

nope. It actually looks fine. Like I said, concentrate on the Cogs issue first.

I think when the Cogs is resolved, your Serp issue will disappear as well.

7. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Yup. Could be camera angle but that looks like a problem.

Might be able to pinpoint the problem easier if you video taped it while the belt comes apart.

8. Quick

lol, your point?

You have a flexible belt, under tremendous tension, spinning at tremendous speed, with additional sporadic, variable forces being applied to it. ANYTHING that isn't perfectly square, centered, and not applying any side force or friction can cause it to go south -- in a hurry.

and the tensioner pulley was centered in the same place (in/out) right? If it's the tensioner alignment causing the problem then that would make perfect sense.

Inspecting the belt should tell you that. Why don't you send Kyle one of the ruined belts and he could get a post mortem done on it? Better yet, like Ron said, how about some detailed pics of the belt first.

9. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I'll be sure to tape up the camera inside the engine next time i run the 1320 lol. Was just my cell phone camera...my HD cam wasnt charged lol.

It never have any problems at all during normal driving. I check both belts all the time after the first belt tore up, and no walkage and the cogs on the blower belt looked fine.

Its ONLY when I'm at full throttle down the track that i have a problem...which makes sense as that's when the most stress is put on stuff.

10. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

The tensioner was not in the same place. It was in fact completely removed and reinstalled. It was installed to give the belt more slack as was directed.

Again, will get the pics later lol.

11. Quick

More or less slack is up/down. From the vid it looks like the problem is in/out

Wear your goalie mask and pads...

12. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

It looks to me like its gotta be in further (although a number of times, i have been assured that as long as the cog belt is fully on the cog pulley, its perfectly fine).

I am probably going to take it in to have someone whos smarter than I check to see if all the pulleys are lined up.

It has to be that, or that one is spinning faster than the other. Again, would be good to know how to check that as well lol.

13. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

Are you sure the cog pulley just wasn't too tight? If there is too little or no play at all in the belt, it can shear teeth on the shift (no matter how good your blow off valve is).

14. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

No after the first belt got shredded, i had basically the same thread and you had mentioned loosening the tensioner (i believe you said that when cold it should almost be loose loose). So I had made sure that it was not on too tight this time.

Wasnt home at all this weekend....will get the promised belt pics tonight when I get back to my house lol

15. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Here is the shredded belt

Attached Files:

16. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

1) your picture taking abilities SUCK! the teeth don't look completely bald, maybe shaved off by 1/2?

2) The fraying on the sides concerns me. That possibly tells the story of the belt rubbing against the pulley.

I am just not sure, Steve.

17. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

your just blind old man...lol

they are gone....there is a tiny bit left where the teeth were before it hits the steel braiding part, but its gone...

and how the hell do you take a "good" pic of a torn up belt with a CELL PHONE lol.

I'll be sure to have Jesse bust out a photo shoot with her ultra mega camera for you haha

Here is a "before" pic....

[​IMG]

18. Quick

I don't know... the pics matched the super detailed description perfectly.

"The cog belt is kind of tore up. Anybody know what's causing it?"

19. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Not all of us have the know how to crawl into the engine with a stethoscope and a magnifying glass like you Dave. :kiss:

Thats all I got...when I put the petal on the right all the way down. belts end up in worse shape than when I drive normal lol.

20. Quick

lol, it was a comment on the pics. at least maybe you could get a cool new phone with a better camera. Did you say your girlfriend had a decent camera? Even with your cell phone... do more than one shot. Try this:
    Get a good belt and the tore up belt.
    Position belts flat on table, side by side with cogs up.
    Take shot of cogs, straight on with good belt beside of bad belt.
    Take shot of cogs from side with good belt beside of bad belt
    (note: it will only be a shot of a small section of the belt so pick a good representative section of the tore up belt).
    Take shots of any other kinds of tore up places on bad belt. Like where the side was scraped/frayed.

jees, we waited 3 whole days and got one single pic... :drunk: