So Apparently....My car eats belts....

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by StevoSRT, Aug 22, 2010.

1. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

My car can not make a full throttle pass on the 1320 without eatin a belt....or 2....

so....got to Englishtown yesterday..

Pass #1...baby it just to get used to the cars setup and my first time on DR's....cut a 1.7 ish 60'...ran 12.1 @ 115 auto-sticking it myself the whole way...all is well lol....

Pass #2...figure...hooked up pretty good...lets give her some more throttle...kept it in drive this time....cut a 1.68 60'...Was going good...felt a little weird at the 1000' mark but didnt think much of it at the time....got back to the staging lanes...popped the hood to let her cool down...and much to my dismay...a familiar site....Supercharger Cog belt sitting on top of the motor....only this time....i guess the motor was extra hungry...as it tore up my serpentine belt as well...

i was running on half a serpentine belt...so i pull off the staging lanes...throw my stock wheels back on...and go on a hunt....3 calls, 22 miles of driving, and 4 autoparts stores later....we finally find the correct size belt...i get it on...and thankfully make it home lol....

so...next time i show up to the track....im gonna be freaking stocked up on belts lol....which means something else will go...but such is life....

ill just have to have jesse drive the truck down...so if i need to trailer it home im good LOL....

anyways....

as i did the first time this happened

why the hell would I be eating belts when everyone who has seen the car says the pulleys seem to be lined up...

maybe ones moving?...belt too tight?....too loose (doubtful)...

whats not "OEM" on the pulleys is the 2 S/C ones...and the 17% overdrive pulley (maybe this?)

2. vinnysrt8

vinnysrt8 Full Access Member

maybe ur crank pulley pulled out a little and u cant tell by eye thats what happened to my jeep and i was eating alot of belts.

3. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

its gotta be something like that because it appears that one of the pulleys is causing the belt to walk a bit...that is what looks to be the cause of the belt getting torn up....it was as if the belt was slowly coming off the pulleys and as it hit the raised edges of some of the pulleys...thats where it was getting cut up.

I'll have to take it to someone smarter than I to have that figured out though.

4. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

I feel the same fuggin way about my cooling system......a full year later, and my car still runs hot & spikes temps!!! I feel ya stevo buddy.....I'm shedding a tear for ya right now......

5. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

yeah dude....not cool...at least my issues have been segmented to just the track lol

sounds like you need one of those fancy double wide radiators with ultra cooling potential lol

6. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Best way to check pulley alignment is with a straight edge...it's either aligned or it isn't. GL with it Steve, obviously it shouldn't be doing that.

7. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Problem is that it tracks what appears to be totally straight when idling.

i'll probably end up taking it in to see if i can have someone who knows what they are doing look at it to check it over lol.

8. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

Not sure what blower you have but on the jeep site there is a detail thread for guys eating belts with the vortech and the solution.

9. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Are u talking about vinnys thread or another one?

10. SRT666

SRT666 Platinum Supporting Member

11. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

12. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Thanks for the link buddy...

reading through the thread, it doesnt sound like my issue is at all the same as the OP in there though.

that also was just addressing the Vortech belt. What it looks like happened to him was the tensioner wasnt spinning and the belt just rubbed against it till it smoked. My tensioner is fine, its the cogs on my vortech belt that are being torn off so its almost like the pulley thats being spun by the serpentine belt is spinning faster than the Vortech can spin using this belt hence tearing off my cogs...but thats just a guess at this point.

I also am not sure why my serpentine belt was coming off/shredding...but i am taking the car in to have the pulleys alignment checked.

13. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Cogs belt breaks, falls in the path of the serpentine belt causing the serpentine belt to go bad as well.

Check the pulley lips and make sure there aren't any burrs causing the Cogs belt to shred.

This was a common issue early on with the Paxton blower pulley's. Which, by the way, are the SAME pulley's Vortech uses.

Edit: You might want to have Vortech swap out the blower pulley anyway.

14. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

The blower pulley has been swapped out for the smaller high boost pulley.

Raining pretty good out right now....

Tomorrow/Thursday I will pull the belt and give it a look see.

15. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

I know. Paxton's 3.00 and 2.62 pulley's had this issue. GSM had to swap mine out three times in the beginning.

16. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

If that's the case, you have resistance in you SC for some reason. Such as bearing resistance...Typical high speed bearings have thermal clearance in them so that once you heat them up and run at high speeds, they still run efficiently. If you make the shaft they ride on a little large, and the housing a little tight, you are "preloading" the bearing and removing some of the clearance built in. This can cause problems...higher temperatures, inefficient running and resistance in the rotating assembly.
    If your pulleys are okay, and the alignment is dead nuts on, you may want to pull the blower and have it inspected thoroughly. I mean Dave thorough...:)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  17. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

Ron the blower pulley is a Cog pulley, not a standard pulley like the GSM/Paxton

18. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Correct, but aren't they made by the same manufacturer? That's all I was alluding to. If it isn't then I have no more useful/nonuseful idea's.

19. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

20. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Two things.

1) Your Cogs belt is riding on the inner lip of the tensioner which also has a lip.

2) It appears that the blower pulley is not exactly even. From the video, it looks as if the right side has a tad more gap then the left side? Of course that could just be the video or my old ass eyes?

Number 1 can be problematic though.