Smokey Halo Projectors *pics*

Discussion in 'Exterior Modifications' started by stokedcsrt4, Sep 10, 2008.

1. stokedcsrt4

stokedcsrt4 New Member

So, I ordered these off ebay, and did the install alittle awhile ago. They looked amazing, unfortunately they were crap. The plastic cover began melting after only an hour run time (with the stock wattage bulbs that came w/ them). So I took them out a couple days later, got myself a nice full refund for them, and went for a HID conversion instead (6000k fogs & Daytime for now; but I still have that damn flickering problem with the DRLs, but a local shop ordered me some piece that should fix that [according to his HID distributor])

I loved the stealth look of the headlights. [anyone know if its 'okay' to tint your headlights? I wanna make sure I'm within the law, I don't need any more tickets right now...] These lights said they were "DOT approved" and were stamped DOT, but they sure as hell didn't go through any testing before market. I want to tint my stockers now, but I don't want the 5-0 pulling me over for no reason.

[I like this shot, makes the front end of the Cali look almost skyline-esk]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[I plan on messing with my grill eventually to make it look something like this...]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

hey I really like those!

3. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

how much does the "smoked out" look effect the brightness of the lights at night?

4. stokedcsrt4

stokedcsrt4 New Member

I wouldn't suggest buying these. [they look sick, but suck.] The night after the install I went for a cruise and my low beams were daaaaark, the fogs were way brighter. That, and the plastic on them melted.
    I think the regular halo projectors with the HID upgrade and then a tint would be decent @ night. [specially if you have HID fogs to go with 'em]

Anyone here know Ontario law regarding headlight tinting?

5. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Full Access Member

hey, ya definitly sucks about these melting. That's why i have been iffy about ordering the tail lights that i want. I'm glad that they gave you your money back tho!

I don't know about the tint laws here, but i imagine that it would probably not go over well.

6. Black-Sleeper

Black-Sleeper Full Access Member

You cannot tint your headlights buddy......against the law!!

Sorry!

7. stokedcsrt4

stokedcsrt4 New Member

hmmmm, good to know

I hate getting pulled over for useless violations like tint

speaking of tint, whos updated on Ontario's window tint laws ;) I've still got an untinted cali and its starting to drive me crazy.
    anyone know whats legal? [and what you can actually get away with]
    thanks

8. Black-Sleeper

Black-Sleeper Full Access Member

Usually it needs to let 70% of light go thru. So in other words 30% of tint maximum (including the factory tint). This is for the front windows only. On the back there is no limitations..........you can even paint them black if you want!! lol

9. stokedcsrt4

stokedcsrt4 New Member

sweet.

Glad to hear it, so limo tinting the back and 30 in the front I guess :shifty:

10. FWSRT4

FWSRT4 Platinum Supporting Member

I got the new style projectors and haven't had an issue with them fogging or melting for that matter...LOL

11. stokedcsrt4

stokedcsrt4 New Member

new style = ccfl halo projs? (with the eyebrow on the inside of the light?)

12. turbosocks

turbosocks srt n00b

wow, they did look good though..

and for the person saying about being iffy about tails.. tails don't admit anywhere CLOSE to the heat that headlights do, so there would hardly be a chance for anything to melt.

i might be tinting my headlights to about 40-50% visibility and upgrading to HIDs, should emit plenty of light, and not be that noticable that they are tinted..

and since i haven't ever been hassled for my tails (black GTS covers) doubt ill get hassled for the headlights.

13. FWSRT4

FWSRT4 Platinum Supporting Member

Correctamundo