Slight popping noise

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Maximus from the 915, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Maximus from the 915

Maximus from the 915 New Member

I was reading StillANeon's thread about a popping noise coming from his car. Now he said his was coming from the passenger side while he was driving. I am getting a slight popping sound/feeling that seems to be coming from the steering column. Don't know if it actually is, it just feels like it. It only happens sometimes when I'm going relatively slow like leaving a parking spot or when I'm turning from a stop sign. Does anyone have any insight on what it could possibly be?

2. Maximus from the 915

Maximus from the 915 New Member

? :(

3. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

Axles going bad, maybe. When my passenger axle was going, if I turned left, it would pop like crazy. But turning right was fine....

4. turbosocks

turbosocks srt n00b

i think my ball joint makes a popping noise sometimes while turning the wheel and over a lil bump.. only happened after i did my suspension.

haha, i have 505 posts.. abq area code... LOL..........................

5. StillANeon

StillANeon Full Access Member

funny you mentioned it... My popping noise is back. Doesn't happen as often as it did before. But its the exact same thing as you described. After the car has been sitting for a while. Start it up and start going forward.. I hear a slight *pop**pop* I heard it once or twice last week. Didn't think much of it. Then went racing with some friends this Saturday night and it happened more often. Making left hand turns.. going in 2nd gear.. Up to 3000 rpm's press in the clutch and let off slowly. Cruising home it went away, didn't hear it once. Made left hand turns too. Tried the 2nd gear thing, nope no noise. Then Sunday I checked my engine bay. My upper strut mount for my BC coilovers one of the nuts was loose. tightened that up. Tightened the 5 others down. They were "starting" to get loose a bit. Thought that was the problem. Was leaving my brothers house. As I let off the clutch and started to give it gas, I hear it, *pop**pop*. Great.

Just got done looking it over on a lift at school. all my motormount bolts, ball joint, sway bar brackets, endlinks, pencil strut, clevis bolts on strut, control arm bolts were tight. Noticed there wasn't a grease fitting on my new ball joint I had did last month... It was just open, but nothing was coming out of it. you could see the threads. So I got a grease fitting and pumped it up with grease. Still had the noise when I left the parking lot. Could the ball joint be bad? I had no play in my wheels either. So that usually means my ball joints, wheel bearings and tie-rods are fine. Could be my half shaft.. It is a newer one too....

How can you test your halfshaft?