Shift Lockout Fix ('05 - '07) Discussion

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by Quick, Jun 23, 2009.

1. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

I haven't disassembled anything. I've been looking at this and other forums precisely because I thought the problem was due to the pink thing, but it seems that the symptoms do not coincide. I had not removed the console, or anything else.

2. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

Are you referring to this cable?
    [​IMG]

3. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

Perhaps a couple of photos and a video will expand the information related to the shifter wiggle that my car is experiencing. If you change your shifter to the PARK position it should automatically accomodate itself (by some tension, spring?) to the left side as this:

[​IMG]

In my case it has some kind of lateral "wiggle" and when I move it to PARK it stays more or less in the center as this:

[​IMG]

I took a video of the "wiggle" problem and is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zn8l3P49vI

Unless the shifter is in the "Correct Position", the key can't be moved to the LOCK position and be removed. I think that the poblem lies within the mechanism that pushes and maintains the shifter to the left (driver side). I'm not sure, but from the photos already posted, isn't that one of the functions of the green plastic part moved by the solenoid? I'm sure that ventually I will have to remove the shifter assembly and inspect it, but I assume that all you guys who dissassembled the system for the pink thingee substitution, already inspected the mechanism as a whole and may be able to issue an opinion regarding this matter. I really would hate to have to buy the complete shifter mechanism and I'm almost sure that the problem is not caused by the pink thingee.

4. SRT666

SRT666 Platinum Supporting Member

Actually, it was the other one to the right. For some reason i was thinking in my head that is was that one but now that i see the picture, it was the other one that came off a few times without the console being on. Sorry about the mix-up.

5. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

Sounds like you have a different problem.The park lockout either works or doesnt,No inbetween..

6. SRT666

But neither cables should have anything to do with the shifter problem. When i took mine apart, as mentioned by "QUICK", there is a white "slider" piece . If that is "off" a little maybe that is what is giving you the problem. If i had the car here i would pull the assembly apart to see if there what all consists of getting the shifter to the proper "P" spot but , i don't so i am just throwing idea's at you.

7. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

How do I get access to the white slider part? Is it below the plate with the letters (P, R, N, D). The plate that QUICK says is filled with white grease?

8. SRT666

Yep, it's below the plate and yep, there is white lithium grease on it.

9. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

Well, it seems there is no way out other than dismmantling the shifter assembly. But, to me, it seems that there should be a spring or something that holds the shifter to the left side all the way during its travel through the slot. Thanks for your opinion and Happy New Year!!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  10. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

Well, I found a piece of a broken coil (it seems like steel, very hard) that is supposed to hold the shifter more or less centered. See the photo with the location of the coil inside the shifter assembly:

[​IMG]

I proceeded to remove the complete shifter and this is how the coil looks from both sides of the shifter:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I removed the coil and presented it to the broken piece and this is how it is supposed to look:

[​IMG]

Now, I'm sure this must be the problem that causes the shifter to wiggle, but I'm not sure this is what forces me to push the shifter to the left side when in PARK in order to be able to remove the key, although I must admit that both conditions appeared simultaneously. But for some reason, I have this feeling that the PARK/key removal problem is related to the cable that pulls the pink thing (by the way, although it was in perfect shape I took the opportunity to reinforce it with the cotter pin). This cable has a plastic lock with a sideways T letter printed over it. This is the cable that goes to the keylock mechanism. Do any of you know if this cable has to be calibrated?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  11. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

There's only 2 cables going to the shifter right?
    1) shift cable to the transmission
    2) Brake lockout cable. If it's tight the thingy is engaged (if the shifter is in park). When you press on the brake pedal it goes slack and the spring pulls the thingie out of the way. Not critical adjustment so I don't think there is any on that one? It's pretty much going to be in one position or the other and it'd be pretty unlikely to be inbetween.

The key lockout is electro-mechanical right?
    There is a solenoid in the ignition switch.
    There is a solenoid in the shifter assembly.
    There is a wire/electrical connection between the two. No cable.

That's sort of what I remember.

That big spring looks to be the wiggle problem. The shifter probably has to be all the way over for the sensor in the shifter assembly to trip the solenoid in the ignition switch. You're the first one I've heard of breaking that big spring. You banging that thing like a slap shifter?

12. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

The cable I was referring was the one noted as #2 in your above post. To be honest, I did not notice any slack when the brake pedal was depressed. It was tight all the time, except when the key was moved into the ACC or ON position. From what I recall, to disengage it I just pulled it from the bracket.

About banging the shifter, nooo, lol!! I'm the kind of guy whose cars last in good shape for years. Imagine, my other car is a '93 Grand Prix STE which I bought new. The following photo may give you an idea of how well I care for them:

[​IMG]

However, the 300C is a 2006 model which I bought used in october 2009. The car looked good, but I can't rule the possibility that it was somehow abused. And to be fair, I read a post in www.lxforums.com of a guy with a similar problem. I approached him privately in order to inquire if he was able to fix the problem and he answered that the issue disappeared without any further action. So, if this coil/spring is the problem, it seems I'm out of luck. There is no replacement like the one for the pink thing and I doubt very much that I will easily find this kind of cars on junkers. Don't know if this part may be soldered or is it viable or effective. By the way, where is the sensor in the shifter assembly that you mentioned?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  13. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

Guys, the problem was solved. The reason, the broken white spring that controls lateral movement of the shifter lever. Nevertheless, I wasn't able to find the spring, so I was forced to buy the complete shifter assembly ($147.66, including tax).

14. Quick

Well... now you have a full set of parts that you'd have to buy the whole assembly for each one of :grin:

15. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

Thanks for your optimism, lol!!!! I just hope the same spring does not break again.

16. Quick

I wouldn't expect it to. Your's is the first I've heard of with that failure. Maybe a manufacturing defect on the spring?

17. albertojedi

albertojedi New Member

Perhaps. But, thanks for your tutorial. Without it, the process would have looked more intimidating than it really was.

18. hemi_SRT8

hemi_SRT8 Village Idiot

Just got mine put in today. Thanks for the write-up Quick. My wife and I laughed at a few of your comments. Thanks to Billet Technology for making a quality replacement product.

Keith

19. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

Thank you :)

20. 2FST4GM

2FST4GM New Member

Just fixed mine today. It broke at 103,000 miles.

I've had that part sitting on my desk for about a year waiting for this to break and last night it finally did. Thankfully it was in my driveway. I found that I really didn't have to remove the center console and instead removed the trim around the large shifter opening and was able to reach the 2 electrical connectors just fine before removing the assembly.

I took me less than 2 hours to fix and I took my time.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011