Shift Lockout Fix ('05 - '07) Discussion

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by Quick, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

2. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

There isnt one from Dodge,You have to by the whole shifter.However if you would like the actual part you can get that here..

http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/1028.htm

3. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

You mean if it goes to the dealer for fix they charge you for the whole shifter?

4. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

Correct,and then your stuck with the same part that broke in the first place.

I probably average 30 of these a month..

5. Quick

Yep. It's like $100 or $175. something like that.

6. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

That figures.....I looked before the tow truck came, but I couldn't see it.
    I did notice there is an opening to something pink next to the shifter (after removing the "cell phone holder" next to the shifter) but it would not release the shifter.

7. Quick

Yes, that's the other lockout mechansim. Explained in the first post.
    The cable/area you wanted was at the front. You need to remove the trim ring. (Also explained in the first post). For when it happens again :D

8. TXDaytona06

TXDaytona06 New Member

Thanks Dave!

Quick thank you for the information on changing out the pink lockout. Instructions and pics were great and right on. We got the billet piece as recommended and company was able to overnight it. Although pricey to ship, got the car on the road days earlier. Only tool I had to add was a magnetic retriever. Spring fell out without either of us noticing as the shifter was lifted out. Couple of minutes of sweeping the car with the magnet located it in the driver seat track.

Thanks again Dave.

9. Quick

Glad that helped. Good point on the spring. If the pink retainer has already failed there's nothing really holding the spring in place. I'll add a note.

10. kchapin

kchapin New Member

OK, I installed the Billet replacement part in my 07 Charger. I got everything all hooked back up, started the car, put it in reverse & backed up just to make sure everything was working properly. Everything was fine. I turned the car off & finished putting everything back in place & tried to start the car again so I could have some AC while I was finishing up & the car didn't want to start. I put the car in neutral & it started. Then I tried turning it off & starting it again in park but it wouldn't, so I tried it again in neutral & it wouldn't start there either! We even tried jumping it since it's been sitting for a while but it's not starting at all now!! Anyone have any ideas?!?!?

Thanks~
    ~*Kara*~

11. Quick

Did you make sure to get the shift cable bolted back in exactly the same place. Do you think it could be out of adjustment or loose? If you didn't mark it and get it back in the same adjustment you may have to calibrate it.

I'm assuming by "wouldn't start" that you don't get anything. Like not even a click. (just in case, if you disconnected the battery you did reconnect it and tighten the terminal right).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking you should be able to do this without getting under the car. Park is all the way to one end and I think you should be able to disconnect that cable at the shifter and move it by hand or gripping it with a pair of pliers. Get the cable all the way into the park position. Get the shifter in the park position. Connect the cable.

When you re-connected the cable the first time was the shifter in neutral? That's in the middle and you may have moved the cable forward or back in it's casing while re-connecting it.

If that's not it check to make sure all the electrical connectors are snug. Try it before putting the console back on. Still doesn't work then take the shifter assemply out and apart to make sure that little connector inside the assemby (wire runs from the base to the top part and the connector is to the top part).

12. kchapin

kchapin New Member

Yeah I marked it but I guess it's possible that it may have moved when we were putting everything else back on. It's not clicking or anything when I try to start it. It was not in neutral the 1st time we started it. I'll start with with the help you gave & hopefully that'll fix it! Thanks!

13. taxxmann1

taxxmann1 New Member

Shifting into nuetral

I am not sure how this works, but I got stuck on your instructions on how to remove the shifter assembly from my 300C. I am ready to remove the center console, but you ask that I put my car in nuetral. If I could put my car in nuetral, I wouldn't be working on it.

Thanks,
    Dave

14. Quick

In the middle of the instructions you'll find this under the corresponding picture:

So you can just remove the trim ring and get something to fiddle with that cable. Browse the pics to see how it works and what you're trying to jiggle into/out of place. Shouldn't take much. and it's not something that will take any force. So if it doesn't release don't try "harder" just keep trying. If all else fails you can lift the console from the rear almost all the way. The shifter will prevent you from removing it completely but you should be able to reach all the cables and get your fingers in there to release it. Don't forget that you need your foot on the brake and the key on too.

15. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

So dave....

I got through all your instructions perfectly...everything went very smooth...

now im at the "reassymble" stage and for some reason....it the shifter unit sitting here next to me isnt playing nicely....

when I put the two halves together...it will not shift at all...almost like its stuck...

any advice?

16. Quick

You had the little lever on the wrong side? This one?

[​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 799x485 and weights 41KB.[​IMG]

This is the position you want the cylinder in with the shifter in park. The cylinder tab goes on this side of the shift rod tab. The green tab is what blocks the shifter in Park for the key lockout.

17. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

When i put the top and bottom back together, forgot i took them off in "neutral" and had to put them back together in "neutral"....

cars all back together now....

very good write up dOOd

18. budoboy

budoboy Full Access Member

I've got my billet shifter thingy, a few Shock Top brews and all the tools. Just need a couple hours this week. Thanks for the write up.

19. budoboy

budoboy Full Access Member

Welp, I did mine. About 2 hours with clean up. My pink, thingie was in perfect shape and even when I pulled on the little plastic hook it felt very firm.

I broke a tab that hooks the center console to the dash but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Not very easy (lots of potential to break plastic parts) but not very difficult either. I wouldn't recommend it unless your part breaks.

Oh yeah, nothing like putting everything back together and realizing you have two screws left (console to dash screws). Luckily they went back in quick and I didn't break anything.

Everything appears to work fine.

My only addition would be to look at the pictures of the hooks at the front of the center console first before taking it out. I pullled it back and up like the directions said and snapped one. If I understood what angle the hooks were at before tugging on it I wouldn't have broken one. I didn't even know the hooks existed as they are mentioned in the instructions after it says the console just pulls out. Guess I should have read a step or two ahead.

Anyways pretty good and accurate instructions (minus the above) considering this is a pretty involved job.

20. Quick

DOH! Sorry about that. I'll add something.

Do the chargers have the vents out the back of the center console for the rear seats? Don't you have to pull the console straight back to disengage the rear vents before you're able to lift up on the back of the console? and aren't the tabs disengaged then? Did you pull the console straight back before lifting the rear? or being the brute you are, did you just grab the front and rip it loose like the Hulk would do :grin: