Road Raged = Nascar-style wreckage

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by cvp33, Aug 29, 2009.

1. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

I've been waiting to post this until everything got sorted out. On my way home from work a guy in a Ford F150 literally flipped out and wrecked 4 cars including his own. Two weeks ago on Monday I was driving home from the office on a 4 lane lane road (2 lanes each way) I could see up ahead that the right lane was blocked. I checked my mirror, put on my turn signal and moved into the left lane. When I moved into the lane a gray Ford F150 sped up and was squarely on my rear bumper. Our cars sit so low in comparison to the F150 I could only see the driver's hands pounding the steering wheel. Now I know this guy's pissed so I'm weary of him and kept my head forward and both hands on the wheel. At the next light I'm the 4th car in line and he's right behind me. As we crossed the next intersection the F150 moved to the right lane and brought his truck directly along side mine. He then takes two swipes at me just barely missing me as I move to the left edge of the road to avoid him. As we passed the entrance to a Hospital two vehicles in front of me put on their blinkers to move into the left turning lane. As they decelerated I sped up to try and get away from this guy. He then takes another swipe at me with one notable difference. He doesn't pull away and I have nowhere to go now with the two vehicles on my left turning. I'm about to become sandwiched between the turning vehicles on my left and the F150 on my right. As it becomes obvious he's not going to pull away I feel my car starting to slide to the left as his truck hits me and I just jam the brakes. At the same time the F150 swerves into my lane to cut me off, but clips my front quarter panel and wheel. What happens next was like watching a Nascar wreck.

I end up "pitting" the F150 perfectly (not on purpose) and he begins sliding sideways first clipping one of the turning vehicles spinning her Nissan Pathfinder back into traffic to the right, he continues on doing a complete 360 and hits a Porsche Cayenne head on. I stopped roughly 6 car lengths short of the main accident thanks to the brembos. No air bags deployed (unbelievable) but the Porsche will most likely be totaled as will the F150 that had damage to 3 of it's 4 sides. The Pathfinder ended up with about $8,000 in damage and although mine was VERY minor in comparison I still had $3,000 in damage due to a $1,000 HID headlight. I confronted the driver who ended up being a very irate computer geek standing about 5'2" tall. I asked him if he was happy now that he'd wrecked 4 cars. He said "I don't know what you're talking about, you cut me off". Thankfully a driver behind me witnessed the whole incident and gave a statement of what happened.

The F150 driver received a ticket for illegal lane change. I spoke to the officer and asked why he didn't receive a road rage ticket. Unless the officer witnesses the entire incident, a RR ticket cannot be written. I also found out from my insurance company, that if it was proven that the F150 driver acted intentionally to cause the accident, they would no longer cover the damage. Insurance is for accidents and not for intentional acts. Very interesting I thought. The only good that came out of this is that I went ahead and paid a little extra dough to have my hood and drivers side fender painted in addition to the entire front end and passenger fender. The shop did a great job and frankly she looks brand new.

I gotta tell you guys, I've seen some crazy shit on the road as I drive 30,000+ miles a year. I always point out to my kids when I think something is going to happen given situations or behaviors that I've seen so many times behind the wheel of a car. BUT - I never saw this one coming. Glad this lunatic didn't have a gun.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Jesus!! I'm going to ask my mom about the accident versus intentional thing. Do you have comprehensive or just collision?

And very glad you came out of this relatively unscathed. Its too bad if they don't throw the book at this guy. He's lucky he didn't kill anyone. If anything, maybe he'll lose his insurance for hitting the cayenne. He doesn't need to be driving anything other than a 10 speed.

3. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Damn Chris! I'm glad everyone is o.k.. I'm amazed at what bad asses people are behind the wheel and computer screens.

4. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

I know what you mean. I'm not a violent guy, I have a temper, but it never turns physical. Had I known what would transpire, I would've gotten out at the first intersection and asked the guy if he wanted to go in the parking lot and take turns pummeling one another. I've been run off of the highway before. I had a guy change lanes without looking. We were going 75mph on the highway and he started coming over, I laid on the horn but he didn't stop. I simply drove down into the grass median, the car behind me hit the brakes and I re-merged with traffic. I don't know that the guy ever new he ran me off the road. My wife couldn't get over how calm I was. I told he that shit happens all day when I'm driving. I tend to react to what actually happens and not to what almost happened. I wasn't hurt, car was fine, I lost 20 feet in traffic - I can live with that.

This actually came from my insurance company as I gave my taped narrative of the accident. The agent stopped the tape and explained that I should characterize the other driver's actions as intentional or vengeful. He then recorded the statement from the point at which the F150 began coming in my lane with no blinker and struck my car, leaving out the previous attempts to drive me off the road. I'd never heard of it either until then. Oh, to answer your question full coverage.

5. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Dang Chris. You handled the situation very well. The important thing is that YOU are ok.

As for the insurance, I have never heard of such a thing. At least not with AAA or Farmers.

Who is your carrier?

6. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

LOL. Farmer's.

7. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Dang people that cant control themselves...you should have asked the officer if you could citizens arrest the guy for road rage...bastards think they own the road...:eek:oh:................never heard that about insurance...looks to like you have no insurance for vandalism since that would be intential?..

8. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

With vandalism not being a moving violation and the person(s) being anonymous you're covered. Now if it was your ex-wife getting revenge, I'm not sure how that would shake out.

9. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Damn. lol Of course I only had Farmers for two years until they PISSED me off by raising rates without cause. Well, their cause was because Marueen's SRT10 is a specialty truck. lol I guess it took them two years to figure that out? Sooooo, back to AAA I went.

10. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

State Farm. Hard to initially get but their rates are "compressed". Low end cars (insurance wise) are more expensive than AAA but high end/performance cars are way less than AAA. I'm paying right at $900 a year. comprehensive with a $500 deductible (keep asking about $1000 deductible but I'd only save about $40 a year or something)

11. black08

black08 black08

Thats why my gun stays in my car

12. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

That might have worked. If you had waved your gun around he might have backed off after the first encounter.

13. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

What makes sense here is maybe they mean....HIS insurance would not cover HIS car if he did it intentional. They would most probably also cancel hin.

Or whipped out his own and then....!2 o'clock noon shootout.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  14. black08

black08 black08

If he tried to run him off the road it should have been attempted murder. If that had of happened in Texas and i unloaded on him with a witness i would have went on home after i gave my statement.....prob in most states.

15. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

A vehicle in some situations is considered a deadly weapon.

16. ujokin2

ujokin2 New Member

Dang Chris... that dang gone your Silver color SRT just attracts Luny's ... Glad your okay !

Not good being you just put those S/C in there too !

17. StillANeon

StillANeon Full Access Member

Glad you are okay! Wow what a scary situation! Poor 300c! :( Glad you got it fixed.

I swear F150 drivers are total asshats out here. There's a ton of them!

18. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

Yeah, no damage to the S/C in any way. Considering what happened I honestly can't believe how little damage there really was. Most of what was on the wheel buffed right out as did the front bumper cover. The brunt of the impact was borne by the fender which was only $73 to replace. Paint and labor is what took up the bulk of the repair bill + the $1,000 HID headlight.

19. The Max

The Max Full Access Member

Sorry to read about your accident.

A blurry line between intentional and a accident with that insurance company.

I've personally never heard of insurance company not covering an accident for intentional contact.

Could you imagine if there were no witnesses with your accident and he claimed you hit him.

Glad to see your not hurt.

Another encounter with an Idiot Driver.

20. NOTPAID4

NOTPAID4 Platinum Supporting Member

That really SUX, I hate that for you!!!