Removing scratches from dark color cars

Discussion in 'Detailing Tips and Tricks' started by Steve@Tropi-Care, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Steve@Tropi-Care

Steve@Tropi-Care New Member

This week a local Phantom Black Metallic GTO owner contacted me for purchasing a Porter Cable buffer kit to start removing the blemishes and fine scratches on his car. They appeared to be typical lines inflicted by routine washing and drying of the vehicle.

A short tutorial was in order to show operation of the machine and demonstrate its abilities. After washing and clay bar use in our 2' x 2' testing area, we used the Menzerna Intensive Polish (IP) and a lightly moistened orange CCS foam pad to address the scratches. Starting at speed 3 to spread the product and gradually increased to speed 5.0-5.5, I showed him the techique of moving across the surface at the rate of 1"/second until the product broke down until it was almost clear. We inspected the surface for results. After this, I allowed to him to do the adjacent section while I observed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the Menzerna use, you can either rinse or wipe the surface to remove the light product dust residue. Since the product contains no wax or silicone, it finishes down beautifully with no micro-marring. A last step non-abrasive protection product can now be applied.

[​IMG]

You can judge the test results for yourself. Since natural lighting had already set for the day, we used the Brinkmann hand held dual xenon spotlight to check the surface.

[​IMG]

Notice how much more pronounced the metal flake can be once at the blemishes are removed. Even more impressive is using the lighted microscope at 60X magnification, the gold and silver metal flake glows like suspended diamonds in a jet black pool.

[​IMG]

Machine polishing with the right products and techniques will accomplish in minutes compared to hand attempts for hours.

TCPC-10 Porter Cable buffing kit $169.99
    [​IMG]

+

Menzerna Intensive Polish $25.99/Qt.
    [​IMG]

or this

Menzerna Super Intensive Polish $39.99/Qt.
    [​IMG]

will result in this
    [​IMG]

The customer learned how to get these same results that night with my observation. The key is to keep the machine flat on the surface and move at the rate of 1"/second. It is also important to have sufficient moisture and product on the pad in order to remove these scratches.

Once you have completed the buffing to your satisfaction, you may apply the non-abrasive last step sealant or wax.

Questions and comments welcomed.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  2. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

wow..... simply wow!!! i have the brilliant black and have more minor scratches and swirls than i care to admit!!!! not near as bad as the first pic, but not perfect by any means!!!

3. LegMaker

steve - is the last step wax or sealant applied by hand or with the buffer???

4. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

One of the things I always wonder/worry about when using abrasives, either by hand or machine, is the overlap. Usually one does relatively small sections where you don't have to move your feet or walk the length of an entire panel (difficult to do smoothly). So you do a section and then an adjacent section. You only want to take it down the minimum necessary, but aren't the edges of the previous section getting hit twice? How do you minimize that?

5. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

I made it a sticky

6. LegMaker

thanks!!!!

7. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

if this doesnt get you to buy the kit and polish, i dont know what will.

steve, what is the diff between your two polishes? mine is pretty bad with the amount of city driving, car washes, idiots with dirty towels, etc that mark up my paint. do i need the intensive?

8. LegMaker

good question.....

9. Steve@Tropi-Care

This can be done several ways. For liquid wax or sealants, they can be applied by the PC with either a black or blue foam buffing pad at speed 3-4. You can even do this by hand with an oval or round foam polish applicator pad.

Paste wax is best applied by hand with the foam polish applicator even though Lake Country has developed a red foam buffing pad for this specific use.

To remove their dried residues, you can use either microfiber polish towel or the microfiber polish bonnets applied on top of a clean orange foam buffing pad.

10. Steve@Tropi-Care

The rule of thumb is to use the least aggressive steps necessary to achieve the desired results.

I usually keep to a 2' x 2' area for correction. As you are buffing on the section, you'll work the material on the surface for about several minutes until it's almost clear. Use sufficient moisture and chemical (about 2 dime size drops) to prevent micro-marring. Then you can inspect for results. If you're satisfied, then you can move to the next adjacent panel.

This amount of buffing with an orange or white pad will have minimal effect on the clear coat even light overlapping on the previous buffed section.

The beauty of the Menzerna use is the fineness of the abrasive leads to very little or no micro-marring when using it with an orange pad to remove 2000 grit and finer scratches.

11. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

looks awesome steve!

12. Steve@Tropi-Care

The orange pad/IP would be your best bet. Remember this process may need to be done periodically. Unless you're willing take over washing responsibilities, the car wash and towels may keep inflicting new scratches.

How how I compare our offerings:

The 3M Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound is rated to remove 1200 grit and finer scratches with the yellow pad. The Menzerna Power Gloss (PG) will remove 1000 grit and finer using the same foam color.

The Super Intensive Polish (SIP) is a faster working version of the (IP) and formulated specifically for use on harder clear and cerami-clears of Mercedes and such. The IP can be used with either an orange or white pad and will remove 2000 grit and finer. You can use the IP after the 3M use to remove any compounding swirl marks inflicted by the yellow/3M combination. After IP or SIP use, the surface will be squeaky clean.

You can then apply the non-abrasive TC-3 with a black or blue foam pad as your last step protection product.

13. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

thanks for the info steve.