Recent spillage in my limited.

Discussion in 'Detailing Tips and Tricks' started by jdoria, Dec 28, 2007.

1. jdoria

jdoria New Member

I spilled a 10 pound tray of linguine and clam sauce on the back seat of my car. The car stunk so bad I had to take the seat out and get the source of odor removed. I heated up the vapor cleaner and got working.

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Improvement, yes. Worthy of the time and effort.
    Odor gone, not completely.

There is still a faint odor of garlic and clams. The seats have a fabric section which was totally saturated with butter and oil. I shot steam into the foam of the seats beneath that section to saturate them and purge the oil out. It did work after many passes, the towels I used to dry them had to be changed frequently to avoid reintroducing odors to the area. I dried the seat foam with a heat gun before installing the covers back on. Not drying them is a good way to grow mold in the car. The carpets came clean, as did the leather and metal surfaces. I sprayed Lysol as an attempt to kill any bacteria that may have been growing the past few days.

Right now its in the garage with the windows down, we'll see if it helped tomorrow morning.

2. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

damn dude, 10lbs is a hell of a spill.

3. jdoria

jdoria New Member

It was a disaster.
    It was in a tin tray, I hit a bump, the lid came off, and splash. We had to drive with the windows open in 30 degree weather.

I was not supposed to have that food in the car. I got nailed last minute to pick it up.

4. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

hope you get the smell out

5. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

ooooooooooooooooooo....that is not cool...you did as through of a job as you coulda to get it clean...the oder will be gone sooner or later...maybe you'll just be hungry from driving haha...

6. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

How about Fabreze or Resolve?

7. jdoria

jdoria New Member

Im going with an enzyme cleaner today. Ill post and let you know if it works.

Ill post a "smell-o-meter". Right now we are at a 4. (based on a 1 to 10. 10 being worst) Two days ago I was at a 10.

8. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

wow j, that is one of my biggest nightmares!!!!

9. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Damn Justin... The detail looks good, hope the smell goes bye-bye soon.

10. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

OH MAN.......... that sucks! Nice job on the cleaning, though. Hopefully in a couple of days it'll just be a memory.

11. jdoria

jdoria New Member

[​IMG]

I put 2 of these in the car on Saturday morning. One under the seat, one on the seat. Right now, Monday morning, there is no odor. I know this is just masking it. I also purchased a enzyme cleaner called Bio-Kleen from Whole Foods. I'll give it a go today after I remove the odor absorbing bags. Hopefully this is over.

12. jdoria

jdoria New Member

I can not notice any odor in the car at this time. I removed the DampRid this morning and will see if the odor is apparent when I get home tonight.

I have 2 remaining solutions.

1. Bio-Kleen Enzyme cleaner. An enzyme cleaner can be used when you spill food or vomit in the car. This reacts with the bacteria that grow and create the odor and kills them.

2. Ozone machine. High horse power odor weapon. It produces negative ions and ozone. Leave this in the car overnight and it will kill any traces of odor, mold, mildew, and allergens. Also good to kill mold in your basement.