Rear Axle Seal Leaks

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by Prof, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Prof

Prof Cantankerous Old Fart

Just thought someone might have experienced this problem...

Both sides of my custom (DTS) axle hubs leak. I have replaced the bearings twice...the second time we checked the case in which the bearing rests and found that they have been elongated. They are both a little oval rather than round.

So we had two choices...cut off the old hubs and install new ones...or...try to resize the case and harden it...

We have had a metallurgist reheat the hub bearing seats and quench them to harden and resize the axle case (its a custom made Strange Engineering Dana 60). We were 50% successful. One size was shrunk enough to re-bore to the correct tolerance. The other side was still a little elongated...so we are welding a bead into the bearing seat and will line bore again to get the tolerances where they need to be.

Interesting issue: try finding a line boring machine that will handle a 65 inch long axle case! We had to go to a very high level machine shop (makes $65,000 shot guns...who ever knew, that a shot gun could cost $65k???).

Well they got backed up and we went back to the drawing board...took it back to my hot rod shop (Westech, in Silverlake, WI), jacked up their line boring machine, put it on blocks so the axle case could fit under it, and bored away...

Hope all this works...I hate having any grease on the garage floor!

[​IMG]

When you stop and think about it...putting nearly 700 hp on the surface of two bearings with about an inch of surface at the hub...something may have to give...in my case it was the axle case that changed its shape!

2. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

Roy that has to be very annoying and one of those things that has you constantly looking under the truck. I had a similar issue when I was building up my 05 5.7 Ram pumpkin seals leaked, both hub ends leaked (several times), rear end traveled and wore gears finally gave up. You must really love your truck to keep at it.

3. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Sorry to hear this Roy....hope they can work out a fix...I know how particular you are with the truck...oil leaks are very annoying..:eek:oh: