Race gas

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by 8yourM5, Mar 22, 2008.

1. 8yourM5

8yourM5 Full Access Member

So since I couldnt get to the track today I was a little mad. So i did the next best thing, work on the car. I gutted my stock cats and got them installed. I mixed 5 gallons of Vp 112 race gas with 14 gallons of 91. I knew the car wouldnt idle that well. well it turns out it idles like SH*T. I have to put the car in N and step on it a couple a times to get it not to die on me.Any one got any idea? Clove I know your running 100 unlead gas right do you have this problem. Should I just stick with unlead race gas? I know lead is bad for my o2 sensors. But I just like the smell so much!!!!

2. JMatt

JMatt Platinum Supporting Member

Leaded will ruin your o2 sensors in a hurry. And you have 4 o2 sensors to replace.

There's some good unleaded options out there. Rockettbrand, VP Racing Fuel, and Torco. I run pure Torco 108 octane unleaded. I ran out of gas 300 yards from the track entrance today. That's my 4th time successfully running out of gas within a mile of the track. That way I run straight racing fuel. Needed for those 275HP shots.

3. 8yourM5

8yourM5 Full Access Member

yea my buddys gto runs on lead gas for a few months now nad he is just changing his o2's I just wantedto do it once and now I am kicking myself. Yea I normally run sunco 100. Congrats jmatt on the 10's I am glad it was you that broke that mile stone PS fix your sig times

4. NorCalSRT-8

NorCalSRT-8 Performance Consultant

I would stick with the unleaded in your tank.

5. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

go with the unleaded and forget anything else.....

6. Blown-WK

Blown-WK cherokeesrt8 survivor!

I ran Sunoco unleaded 100 this past weekend and it worked great.

7. MR-SMITH

MR-SMITH Super Bee #936

Stupid question but what happens if you run Sunoco unleaded 100 on a stock motor? Would you notice any difference.

8. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

Probably not.....

You generally need a way to use the higher octane to your advantage like some sort of tuner with a timing control. For us neon boys, we have our staged kits with the HOM option to advance our timing.

Otherwise, your wasting money.