Quick..... How about a DasDaq review?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronic Modifications' started by NetNathan, Feb 21, 2009.

1. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

Dave...
    You have had your DashDaq for awhile now.
    How about a review?

2. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

My opinion hasn't changed any. It's awesome.
    I'm not doing much with it since my tune is pretty much settled and I haven't done any mods that would change anything. I have it on the dash as a monitor and very occassional logger. I have a customized screen with two large analog gauges for IAT and ECT, two vertical bar gauges in between for RPM and Short term KnR and two digital boxes underneath the analog gauges with the digital values for each. The sale is still going. Don't know the status of Redfox's group buy?

The screen really is something else.

All generic OBDII parameters are covered. There are still a few Chrysler specific parameters missing (I think, I haven't checked recently) like current gear, target gear and a couple others. Most of the missing ones are covered in the generic parameters. The scanner and datalogging work flawlessly.

They've been adding all kinds of other stuff which I haven't tried but others seem to be pretty happy with it (note: some is still in beta).

GPS - There is a GPS option. The add-on includes a GPS receiver and the application that runs on the DashDaq. maps come on an SD card (still lots of room for logging, skins, and stuff), has voice, etc. Note: you run the GPS application or the DashDaq application. Not both at the same time. They're both there you just load one or the other at any time.

SDHC support. You could plug in a 32 GB card and log continuously for days.

Multimedia player - Why? I don't know, but you can play your tunes and/or video on the DashDaq. It has a small internal speaker and a jack for external to play through your sound system. I forgot what formats they're going to support. It's a seperate application like the GPS.

Voice alerts -- haha, you can configure the DashDaq to yell "SHIFT!" at the shift point you configure. They have a bunch of professionally recorded alerts and then you can record and use your own. So on a gauge/signal you can configure the alert threshold at which to play the specified audio alert (I haven't tried it).

Background logging - The way the normal logging works is that you hit <start log> and it logs whatever gauges/signals you have on the current screen. You have to be monitoring something to log it. Now they've added global logging. You configure a number of signals to log and they're always logged whether you're monitoring them on the screen or not. (my suggestion but I haven't tried it yet.)

Screen/skin/theme editor - It really is comprehensive. There is a learning curve but you can do anything with it. They have a set of gauge types. analog, digital, bar, graph, ? Each type has a number of parameters. you can design your own images for all the components, size them like you want, etc. It supports transparency (If I knew how to use photoshop I'd know what that means). There have been a good number of user contributed themes. Design your own gauges, design your own screens with backgrounds with gauges on them and a theme consists of a collection of screens. You can have a bunch of themes on the card and load the one you want to use at the moment.

Scale signal - this is like a virtual device that you can run a signal through to scale it like you want. It has configurable values for offset and multiplication factor (like what you do to a 0-5v signal to scale it to output afr). You can generate constants. It's a pretty powerful feature. You can use the output of one scale signal as the input to another scale signal. As an academic exercise I used 2 scale signal to convert my RPM to read in increments of 500. Each scale signal is a "device". Currently they only accomodate devices a - g. They need to add more.

Average signal - like the Scale signal but used to smooth/average a signal.

MPG calculator - since we don't have maf you have to configure it to model it.
    Dyno calculator - same type of thing (haven't tried it).

Auto off - they have a configurable auto off but currently it only works with generic OBDII signals. You have to be monitoring at least one OBDII signal or it will time out (configurable time) and shut off.

Haven't been able to get them to have an option to auto start the performance tests when the car starts to move. You have to use the tree.

It's a high ticket item but a quality piece and I think you're getting very much what you paid for. They're cranking out new features and enhancements with releases (maybe they're mostly betas) about every two weeks or so.

So not much of a review but I've had a lot going on at home and looking for a job and everything so sadly, I haven't been spending a lot of time lately on or in the car.

3. Redfox0099

Redfox0099 NASCAR Tech Student

I want to run a group buy but no one seemed interested.

4. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

Great opinion Dave.
    Thanks

It has to be the price that scares people off. According to Dave, the unit appears to be great and well rounded.
    People are wondering about the fact you have to buy the licesne to run certain gauges. But hell... most other gauges won't even talk to other manufactures, plus it already give you a configurable 0-5V signal which covers a lot of gauges.

People really don't relize the potential or power of this device. Having an open source code for the core is a computer nerds delight. It opens the DashDaq up for options that don't even have to be developed by DashDaq.

It is on my list for my bday next month.

5. srt007

srt007 New Member

?

can this device read tranny temps?

6. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Not at this moment. They've been looking for info on that and someone just got the pid output/format for them. That and current/target gear are Chrysler enhanced pids and come from the TCM. Hopefully they will get it implemented shortly.