Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by pirate562007, May 6, 2008.

1. pirate562007

pirate562007 New Member

I have alot of things going on right now with my car.
    1.) My car tends to run 200 degrees and over even on really nice 65Degree weather days. Is this normall? Can i put the 180 degree thermostat in a 05 without it throwing some kind of a code?

2.)HKS SSQV is the bov I am looking at. Is it to much for a stock turbo? will it even make any noise!! lol. My stock one leaks like a siv and I'm going to replace it.

4.) Hard pipes? I'm tired of all the boost leaks will this help and is it a good idea?

5.) I'm going to get either an agp wastegate or a boost controller. Which is better, or do I just buy both? Summer is comming up and it's time for me to start making some money so I need some ideas that I can spend around 500 or 600$ on.

2. Goats

Goats God of skittles

there u go

3. pirate562007

pirate562007 New Member

Thanks. Now were Can I find me a used stage 1 pcm so I dont get codes thrown at me when I decide to crank the boost over 16psi. And a new one is just to expensive. when I know I can find a used one cheaper.

4. Goats

Goats God of skittles

u can do that or use a tunning device

5. Cygnus

Cygnus Platinum Supporting Member

You'll be fine with a 180 t-stat. If you have Napa Auto Parts around you its Napa Part# 153. Don't bother getting the t-stat o-ring gasket, just reuse the one that's on your stock t-stat. Just keep in mind that while in traffic or stop-and-go your temperature will still reach 200 or a little bit above. While cruising on the highway and so fourth it will go as low as 180 if not lower. The fans on these cars don't kick on till a little past 200+. Dodge programmed it that way so these cars tend to run hotter.

HKS SSQV is a perfect choice! The way its designed and the way it installs it will not leak. Its a solid bov and its loud! I'm running one on my SRT-4 and my wife has one on her's. You will also need a cold side pipe (UPP - Upper Pressure Pipe) with an HKS Flange inorder for the HKS SSQV to be installed and work.

You can go with either AGP Hardpipes or JMB Hardpipes. You will need atleast the Cold Side Pipe / UPP - Upper Pressure Pipe for the HKS SSQV bov.

You don't need a boost controller. Best bet is to with the AGP Wastegate. You can adjust boost accordingly with the wga.

6. Cygnus

I would search around ebay and here for an s1 pcm. Also check locally. My s1 I bought new and for what I paid I've seen them sell half of that used.

7. srt4evah

srt4evah Raw Meat

I've got a used PTP WGA that I'll sell you for $75 shipped. I bought it used, without thinking, forgetting that the S3 actuator is different and the standard PTP WGA won't fit my car.

8. pirate562007

pirate562007 New Member

I have done a little more thinking. What would be better? Intake and exhaust or going with the WGA and stage 1pcm? I know the exhaust is one of the best things you can do but is it worth the $700?

9. psi chick

psi chick New Member

yes it is. and if you found a 3" tbe for $700 you got a really good deal so jump on it.

10. Cygnus

Forget about an intake at this time if your looking into performance. You gain little to nothing, mostly nothing with one until your start getting up into the performance mods. As far as exhaust goes, a 3" TBE (Turbo-back Exhaust) is what you want to upgrade to. It does make a nice difference over stock.

I say, exhaust - wga - s1 for a nice performance gain if your deciding to work with the stock turbo. The exhaust is something you can keep if you ever decide to upgrade to another turbo kit.

Out of all the 3" TBE out there I prefer the MPx (Modern Performance). Its deep sounding, performance is great, looks awesome, but its extremely loud.

11. pirate562007

pirate562007 New Member

yea that's the excat one i'm looking at!! Cool yea I cant afford all the other supporting mods that go with getting a big turbo. I really cant afford exahust, but if I refinance and get my paymets lowered It could work! lol

12. psi chick

psi chick New Member

you prefer the mpx? wow.....that is the most horrible sounding and worst fitment one that i've ever seen. maybe it's just the cars that i've seen it on but we've had two cars litterally have their exhausts literally fall off because the hangers broke and there aren't enough supports on it. also it sounds too raspy imo, kind of like a really bad honda. i dunno it's just the worst one i've heard to me.

the maxxfab is nice. the perrin is freaking beautiful, by far the best exhaust for these cars imo. i'm seriously debating switching to it.

13. Cygnus

Um, there's 3 people around here and also my wife running the MPX 3" TBE (dual tip rear section) and NONE have fitment issues. Nor has any fallen apart or fallen off. You want to know how stronge these exhausts are... currently the one on my wife's car came from an SRT-4 that flew in the air and rolled numerous of times. Only damage to the exhaust was a slight cut in a weld, got it rewelded when I bought it and have had no problems since. We've been down south with her car, been to Orlando. Hit all types of bumps, pot holes, bottomed out, etc. and still nothing. Its a stronge exhaust and holds well.

Fitment issues would be upon the installer because it fit just right and no problems when my friend and I installed it. I can literally pull it off the car with no problems and re-install it with no problems. No modifications are needed with the MPx exhaust and installation is a breeze. My friend and I did it right here on my driveway.

As far as support. ALL exhausts for the SRT-4's carry the same support... flex section on the downpipe, (2) hangers if single exit, (3) hangers if dual exit. In this case were talking about the MPx which mounts with the same mounting hangers/points (3) as the stock exhaust and many others in the market. As well as it has a flex section on the downpipe.

The reason the exhaust fell off is because they didn't torque/tighten the bolts correctly and they came loose. Any bolt(s) can rattle themselves loose if not tightened/installed correctly. So this is not a MPx exhaust issue, this is an installer issue. Your supposed to install it, drive around. Once its all heated up, come back and re-torque the bolts. Guarantee this wasn't done, hence why bolts came loose, rattled and the exhausts fell.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  14. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

Well, I'm going to agree with all the advice given on this thread. :thumb:

One thing, though. If and when you get a S1, you still cannot up the boost past 17 psi without some sort of tuning device (map clamp, safc, ETC.)

Stage 1 still uses the stock map sensor, which can only read up to 17.5 psi. So, anything after that, the PCM will still pull timing. You just won't get the code.

Just a little FYI.

15. pirate562007

pirate562007 New Member

Ok it's time to change the stock pluggs in my car. Any advice or special brands you all have? I don't want my car sounding like a junk Honda! I want the best sounding exhaust out there. I'm the only person around with a Srt-4 I have only seen others in St. louis on the road. SO i don't have any thing to compare it to.

Today I drove back home from school and never once did I run my car or even let it boost over in the positve side, yet when I almost home the needle droped and all the way past 30 on vac side! Is this normal or do I have a problem some were. It's about a 2 hour drive and Idk y it acted like I got done running the piss out of my car.

16. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

I prefer the good old champion coppers. But a lot of people will tell you to use NGK 4306's.

17. Goats

Goats God of skittles

the 4306 is a much better plug than the stockers im about to try the 5107

18. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

Oddly enough, the 4306 actually CAUSED a misfire in my car. The stockers work best for me.

Every car is different.

19. Goats

Goats God of skittles

the 4306 helped with my knock

20. pirate562007

pirate562007 New Member

Do they sell them at a parts store or do I have to order them special?

And any idea's on Y my gauge would do that? IS my turbo over heating?