Questions about SUPERCHARGING my 426?!

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by SRTLUVR, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Speedy

Speedy Blown by Speedlogix

I´m not going to argue on reliability isues or tuning, I´m arguing the feelfactor!
    With stock Goodyear 245 and my Vortech, at 45 - 50 mph going WOT it slams into second and backend steps out leaving two black lines and some smoke...
    It may not be efficient but it makes me feel darn good and also makes my girlfriend tell me I have a small p*nis, not so funny!

Point is, can you get it right it´ll be a monster, you get it even slightly wrong it will be hugley expensive...

Fredrik:popcorn:

2. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

Honestly Dave, I just want it to be faster than anything I've ever driven before. I know I won't track it a "ton," but when I do, I want it to be a 10 sec. car. But it will get shown a ton also, and I want people to cream their pants when I pop the hood. I guess it's kinda like teaching your child a foreign language. Are they going to speak it on a daily basis?? Hell no! But will it come in handy once in awhile & be cool as hell when they use it?? Hell yes!!! IDK man, I'm just trying to build my own interpretation of what speed, muscle, and WOW factor mean to me??! I understand what's gonna happen when I stab the throttle, I get that. Shit, I already kill tires and gears as I sit right now, lol. But when I "roll into" it, I know I'll be able to feel that power. And when some fancy-ass Merc or BMW or Mustang tries to get cocky, I don't wanna just beat them (like I already do), I wan to ANNHIALATE & EMBARRASS THEM!!!! :rockon: And when I pull into a parking lot, or a car show, and you can hear my cam lope, and my supercharger whine, I want people to think "Holy fuckin hell, what is that??!!" I guess in short.....I JUST WANT MY SHIT TO BE SEVERELY BAD-ASS!!! That's the only way I know how to put it......:D

3. King Savage

King Savage Nasty Canasta

Chase, I can melt a motor down with the best of 'em...and I am N/A. All I have to do is drive somewhere else other than 7000' altitude and not pay attention and POOF! (AND I have a WB and dual Aeroforce gauges!)

What Kyle said is dead on...you have already traveled into the smaller crowd by getting away from a stock 6.1L setup. Sure, people are running S/C'd 426s and living, but I won't.

I'll wait for Cam to come to some final conclusions with my motor, but I will be on my 3rd stroker soon and I have learned some very interesting things along the way. Adding stroke to the 6.1 has it's consequences. The thrust side of the block, down low in the bore, takes so much abuse. I have spent hours on the phone with Wiseco and it looks like good things will result, at least in my case (more about this later.)

If I were going to SC a Gen III Hemi I would definitely go with a 392 or similarly proportioned motor.

That's my take on this :)

4. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Haha, OK. We're behind you Chase! :thumb2: I can't wait, I wish I could do that.

As for other things you will need? Maybe stock up on the valium. You got wound pretty tight over that temperature problem you had a while back :)

5. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

I find this really hard to believe. Not saying Johan doesn't know what he's doing, but if I brought a car of that magnitude to a tuner and he finished in 1 hour, i'de be hesitant to think it's perfect for a daily driver situation, for Chase.
    WOT, AFR/SPARK, sure, you can nail that in an hour...drive ability being my concern, NEVER going into part throttle boost, no surging EVER, and idling less than 800 RPM. You do that in an hour on his car, you need to wear a cape to work.

6. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Since you have obviously thought this through and PROVED it to me (lol), then I stand behind you 100%. You will LOVE the power, that is no secret.

Just PLEASE, make sure you 1) change out your Cam, 2) let Johan have fun tuning it hehe, and 3) have fricking FUN!!!

7. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

X2 brotha

Like i said, if its what you want, balls to the wall lol

Your next expense will have to be a custom painted rollcage though ;)

8. SRTLUVR

IF.....and that's IF I go forward with all this, here's how it will go down.....

I was initially gonna go with Eddie from SHR for all this, simply because he's always been soo good to me, taken time for me, and answered all my questions. Just been a good overall dude to me, when others wouldn't make time. But with the relationship I've forged with Scott through BT, and how Johan and I connected when I bought his car, it just seems more logical to go that route. And who wouldn't use Johan if you had the chance to have him PERSONALLY TUNE your sled???!!

Drive car (with all parts in my trunk) down to Scott @ After Hours Performance for install. Eat dinner and drink plenty of beers, catch a night's rest, and fly home.

Let him take his time with the install & then take it over to Johan, TO TAKE ALL THE TIME HE NEEDS TO TUNE IT. All of this could probably be done in a few days, if we had to rush it. But why? I'm in no hurry? This gives Johan ample time to tune it to the final degree of accuracy.

Let Scott drive it for a few days (yes I trust him that much) after tuning to log in any imperfections there might be. Get the sled buttoned up 100%.

Fly down, eat dinner, drink several more beers. Pick up the car, get a night's rest, & drive home to Alabama. :)

The only thing I need to take into consideration, are some gauges. I was thinking a triple pillar?? I'm thinking AFR, Boost, & engine temp?? Any other suggestions??

9. Quick

DashDAQ w/chrysler specific. You can use it as the display/alarm/logging for your AFR and boost sensors/controllers as well.

10. SRTLUVR

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  11. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

lol I knew this was coming...

12. Quick

dahahahaha, there's just nothing else that comes close :)

http://www.dashdaq.com/

Chase, it's the most comprehensive OBDII scanner you're going to find (w/the Chrysler package for the Chrysler proprietary PIDs). The display is totally configurable. whatever gauges you want to put up there. You can design your own gauges and background if you want. It will take serial input from a number of gauge sensor systems and you have 2 analog inputs for stuff they don't have the serial drivers for. The logging is comprehensive and configurable, SD card, yada, yada, Then there is all that other garbage you can add on for playing your mp3s and navigation programs. It's basically a small pc running unix inside.

Talon has one, you could get a second opinion. Chris doesn't have one.

13. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Gauge # 3, fuel pressure lol.

I cant remember and am too lazy to look back....but you are planning on or have already done some enhancements to your fuel system right?

one built for a 6.1L NA wont be able to handle a 426 FI....probably going to need more than just a boostapump too.

3 gauge pillar and the dual gauge one for where the shades are from Speedlogix ;)

I have A/F, Fuel Pressure, Trans Temp, Boost/Vac, and Volts in my car.

14. SRTLUVR

I already have a 426 in my Charger Stevo, lol.....how long have we been on the forums together??? Anyway, I already know about all the fuel upgrades I'll need, and they've all been discussed in this thread, lol....go back to bed ya lazy-ass, lol.....

So Dave, if I get the DashDaq, I won't need any of the other gauges?? But DAMN!! $750??? Sheesh.....

15. SRTLUVR

Dave, do you have any pics of where you have this mounted?? And what's different about this, compared to the DiabloSport Trinity??

Does anyone have pics of this mounted?? I'm curious as to the aesthetics....
    EDIT: found pics

16. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I know you have a 426 lol....i was saying how you combined them BOTH and you need much more fuel than stock lol

I didnt see them and im just too lazy haha

17. King Savage

King Savage Nasty Canasta

I would be all over the Dashdaq if I had it to do over again. I have dual Aeroforce gauges and while they have all the OBDII info, I can't see them for shit without leaning forward...and trying to watch them at the track is friggin' useless. Just my observations...

(I am actually going to see if I can maybe pawn them off on someone at SF and go back to a dual A-pillar with WB/trans temp in them.)

18. SRTLUVR

Thanks for your help and input Jon. :)

19. Quick

depends on what you mean and how you do your setup.
    Think of a gauge this way: there are 3 basic components.
    Sensor
    Controller - manages the sensor and signals and signal conversion
    Display - for you to look at and maybe incorporates memory for logging

The DashDAQ would allow you to consolidate all your displays on 1 screen. You could set each display like you want it and have as many as you want on one screen or as many different screens you want with different layouts. Configurable visual or audio alerts, alarms. Configurable logging of any or up to 15 signals in addition to whatever you have on the current screen.

A number of gauge systems like Zietronics, Innovate, etc have a serial bus where you can daisy chain their controllers and or displays together. The DashDAQ supports a number of those serial interfaces. For example if you go with an Innovate system you can run the serial bus into the DashDAQ and display/log as many "gauges" as you have on the bus. If it's some other type/mfg gauge they all have analog outs and the DashDAQ can handle 2 external analog inputs. You can configure each gauge you're displaying for alarms/alerts/ logging. If you get inspired (or hire a programmer) they have a software tool where you can do your entire screen and/or gauge displays from scratch.

So... right now you're looking at boost, fuel pressure, afr, eng temp, trans temp, and a couple more that you're going to want on display pretty much all the time. Ok, at least on display enough so something flashes red or changes gauge color or gives you an audio alert (you can record your own mp3s for the audio alerts..."Turn it off NOW dumbass!!!" hahaha). AND all those OBDII signals/gauges.

etc. etc. etc. So you will still need "gauges" -- sensors and controllers if they're not available through OBDII.

The difference is configurability, flexibility, capability, logging capability, display, ability to handle a huge number of inputs, serial inputs (some) as well as 2 analog inputs, and a whole lot of stuff like statics calculators, and scaling modules you can run signals through. You know how your AFR jumps around so fast you can't really see it? You can run the signal through a stats calculator and smooth the displayed signal and change the displayed sample rate. You can program composite signals using other signals as inputs and stuff like that.

For a couple of display themes and screens look on their website under features and that color palate or customize. On their forum they have a place where users have posted ones they did themselves.

I put mine here. I think it's the ideal location but with your pimp custom interior you'll want some frabricator to integrate it into the pillar cover :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. ALABAMA MSRT8

ALABAMA MSRT8 Full Access Member

chase, ur car is FLAWLESS! i say leave it like it is.