Questions about SUPERCHARGING my 426?!

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by SRTLUVR, Jan 10, 2011.

1. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

I have an offer from a forum member to buy a LOW mileage Stage1 HO ProCharger unit. This will be going on my 10.3:1cr 426 stroker. I already have the necessary "foundation" for the extra power (SHR trans, DSS axles, Quaife, etc.). And I should be safe just running single digit boost (8-9lbs.). I know this unit comes with a pulley to run only 6lbs. Also. I'm only gonna be buying the necessary goodies from him, as I know I will need fuel system upgrades. So here's my list of questions (some of them might be kinda stupid, as I'm new to all this):
    1) Can I swap a pulley on this to get to 8-9lbs. of boost, or does this kit ONLY run 6lbs?
    2) Does 650-700rwhp (I'm at 530 now) sound like a reasonable goal with this unit? (I know "dynos are for tuning" and "the track is where results are measured." Lol, but I RARELY track my car, so I'm wanting a tangible horsepower increase for my own measurement.)
    3) The necessary fuel system upgrades would be: 80lb injectors, Fore fuel hat, Walbro pump. Anything else? (I obviously already have a Predator, and fuel rails will already be done by then)

Is there anything else I should be thinking/needing with all this??

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Chase,

Do you really need the s/c? For you not tracking the car or even using the blower to its full potential, I would think you would want to spend that money elsewhere?

What kind of Cam are you running? You will need to change it to an f/i cam.

Yes, you can get more boost by changing pulley sizes.

You might get to the 650rwhp with a 6# pulley, but that might be stretching it?

Please give this some serious thought.

3. SRTLUVR

The stroker was done by Indy. Not sure what kind of pistons, I got the motor from Andy when he was with PPP a few years ago. Heads are former PPP StageII heads, of which Andy says they'll be just fine with getting blown. Cam specs are coming, hold on.....

4. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Hold onto your shoes for some tuning as well lol

I think im with Ron on this one, you'd be better off going all kewl on something like a custom interior for the Charger (dont remember if you have it yet or not) or going custom on the inside of the 300.

650 to the wheels sounds good, but you will get to find out what that really means with a blower and as the big guy says, it might not be as ideal as one would imagine.

But, if you wanna do it....balls to the all brotha....i'd dig it lol

5. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

not worried about your pistons and heads (lol that doesn't sound right), the cam, on the other hand will need to be ground for F/I applications. You can use the current cam, but will likely cause damage later on???

Seriously, please think this through.

6. SRTLUVR

Cam specs are 232/238 603/580 113LSA. And Johan would be doing the tuning, so I'm not worried about that. :) (Yeah Stevo, already have upgraded interior, lol)

I understand what you guys are saying about the traction, I really do, I've already thought about ALL OF THIS. I just want to make sure the build can be done with no worries going forward. I'll be talking with Andy here in just a bit.....

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  7. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Wheelie bar.

You can quit wrestling with those diffuser clips (see above)

8. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I would say 99% of all aftermarket supercharged applications making 650 rwhp can not make this statement. You are "safer" in that aspect N/A.

9. SRTLUVR

I feel ya man.....I've just had this setup now for about 3 years, and I'm ready for the next step.

10. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Well if your dead set on it....then just boost the crap out of it :stars: lol

11. SRTLUVR

I'm trying to decipher my options. The other thing I'm thinking about doing INSTEAD of f/i is going to PWR's best set of heads, a MONSTER camshaft, and underdrive pulley & re-tune. If I could get another 50-75rwhp I might do that instead.....

12. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

Unless your going to be doing some serious track time, I wouldn't waste the money on a S/C. Ask any of the 426 S/C guys about street traction. Most are running 22's, of which none have any traction. 500 to 550 on the street is about all we can get traction with on really good street traction tires, like 20" Nitto NT-05's and 555R's.

The heads probably will make little difference, the cam a little, tighten up the LSA and get some more rump rump.

If you want to go to the track once in awhile, a nice 125-150 HP N2O setup will get you your desired HP. N2O power is immediate, or you can do it progressively.

Have you had your intake manifold ported and or extrude honed? Are you running a 90MM TB yet? You could get the Arrington with N2O.
    You could get Cam's dual CAI.

All the above can be done for less than an S/C and have lots of money left over IMHO Chase.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  13. SRTLUVR

I know Hal, this is all bugging the shit out of me, lol....
    Yes, my Intake is extrude honed. Yes, I have a 90mmTB. The only problem with nitrous, is it'll be just sitting there. :( I'm lucky if I got to the track once a season!!! And Andy says the upgraded H/C - pulley combo will only get me another 20whp. SHIT IF I KNOW!!!! You're the FOURTH person to tell me to skip the blower......hell, maybe I'll just get some new USW's......WHO FUGGIN KNOWS!!!??!??!?!!

14. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Do a swap with the Jeep and add the blower....problem solved! I do consulting on the side! LOL

15. autotoystore

autotoystore New Member

That's what I was going to say.

16. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

The only other thing you missed from your list was plugs"I know big deal" :) If yuo really want to know about the S/C give Legmaker a call. He has had his for 20k miles. And FWIW He made 610 rwhp at only 10 psi and a 6.1 So IMO with your 426 I dont see a problem getting to 650+ RWHP.

However as other have mentioned you really should double check the Cam profile to make sure its up to the task of a S/C. Of you ever want to go really big boost we could just throw in a set of thicker head gaskets. Good luck bro

17. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Your cam needs a wider LSA for F/I...115-117. If not, you'll be pushing quite a bit of boost air out the exhaust port.

Chase, a car that comes with F/I from factory is one thing, a car built N/A with MAF tuning converted to F/I is another..A car built N/A, with Speed Density tuning, THEN you fuck it all up and bore, stroke, ported heads, different cam, and larger TB...you get it all tuned in and running decent...not perfect, but as close to a factory car as one can expect with all that done to it...Wait, lets REALLY go crazy and add pressurized oxygen and see if we can tune THAT in this recipe...lol
    From what i've gathered, it can be done Chase, no doubt. You just have to pay enough and have the right tuner. It can take hours upon hours to get the calibrations in the VE tables done. Diablo CMR software works, it is very time consuming though.

You doing a centri. blower is a good choice if you're going F/I. Power is less instant and more linear, easier to tune for (still not simple) and less stress everywhere.

Advice...Cam swap, install it, and hire the best tuner in the country and pay him for a week long tuning session.

18. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

Nahh being the car will actually be in Johan's hands he can usually do it in a hour or so..

19. SRTLUVR

^^^ Bingo. Not worried about the tuning. It will go to Johan. I hear all your guy's advice & testimony right now, I really do. Weighing my options as we speak!

20. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Chase, nobody is clear on what your goal is yet... Yes, more hp, but for what? I think what people are saying is that you certainly can't use that hp on the street (you can't get it on the ground/traction) and you may even end up with something that's not really driveable on the street. Like Kyle said, being a centrifugal blower will help there because it comes on gradually (relatively speaking). Then there is the order of magnitude more and larger issues with tuning/tweaking/breaking/problems. I suppose if you're only planning on taking it out for a short spin once every couple of weeks or so and can miss some of those while you're dealing with things that come up that would be fine.

So... what's the plan here? (you don't have to share if you don't want to, we'll still love you :hug:)