Question: Optimal MPH for MPG??

Discussion in 'MidWest' started by Face77, May 29, 2008.

1. Face77

Face77 Clear Bra King.

Hey guys, quick question. My wife invited me out to lunch today, so I went to fill up the tank and left. Whenever I fill up, I reset everything just out of habit. Where I got on the expressway, there is major construction, so I can only go 45 mph (or get a minimum $375 fine). I decided to check my mpg and it said and stayed at 17.7 til I was out of the construction area. From there it was up to 70-75mph and my mpg ticker started going up quick. After I saw that, I crept up to around 80, and my ticker went up to and stayed at 18.9. Just got home and it went down to 18.5. Anyway, I've had a few talks with various Hemi owners and I hear everything from 65-90 is optimal cruising speed depending on the engine. I just wanted to get some more options from you guys. Most of my customers are pretty much right off this expressway (I88) so I'm on there a lot. I don't really mind paying for the gas these days, but if I can maximize my fillups, that would be nice. My car is a 2007 Mag SRT8 if that helps.
    Thanks! -Steve

2. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

I tend to get a little better as well at slightly higher speeds. I tested mine at numerous even with the A/C and windows up/down. Seems our beast like the 70-80 mph with the windows up. The A/C on was actually better MPG than A/C off and windows down. That's usually true with bigger engines over smaller ones where the A/C pulls vs. windows. I guess the A/C doesn't really matter much to our bigger blocks.

3. srt8_hmi

srt8_hmi My dream is over.

last week on a trip of 80 miles- 30 on the interstate @80 mph and 50 of cruising steadily at 60mph i averaged 25 mpg. that was running a canned tune with my mods. the best i had done before was 22mpg on a 170 mile trip, but that included a couple of runs at 120 mph.. they hate stop and go, i know that much.

4. dry lakes wheel man

dry lakes wheel man Full Access Member

My 06 Charger averaged as high as 25.69mpg on the last trip to Las Vegas and that was on cruise control set @ 85mph with A/C on. Around town it will nose dive down to 18mpg and of course if I Tangle with a Cobra or Lightning then I don't pay any attention to my mpg!!

5. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

Ya... don't think we bought these things for their MPG.... but with the prices of gasthese days, guess we have to start putting it in nutral and coasting down hills, drafting behind truckers and keeping them washed more than usual to have the paint slick to reduce windage! Lol!

6. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

I get 25 on mixed driving....around 30 on straight highway trips.....

Don't know what you guys are doing wrong....lulz....

7. Face77

Face77 Clear Bra King.

Oh yeah, in no way shape or form did I buy this car for the mpg. It's my daily driver work car. I was just finding it amusing that it seems like the faster I go, the better mpg I get. I did have one instance of getting 4.5 mpg, but that was after filling up and taking my neighbor out for about a half hour to beat the crap out of the car (just to make sure it would hold up!) I came out of a mildly modded wrx and it seemed like anything above 65 was just a waste of gas, highway driving of course.

8. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

that is weird when i went to Roswell at the begining of May i saw 31.5 MPG at 90-95 over a 2hr period than i saw 28 MPG crusing at 75 on the way back.

9. The Max

The Max Full Access Member

After fooling around with the EVIC MPG meter it seems like 45mph for a LX car is truly the best MPG.

Simple GPH-Gallons Per Hour -have to be the least at 45 mph because the car shifts into fifth gear @1,500rpm at that point.

Least amount of RPM and least amount of aero drag equals best mpg.

Of course I am not advocating 45mph in fact F*** 45mph but that is where our cars will get the best mpg.

My 07Charger SRT was showing 30mpg on level ground at that turtle speed.

You guys with the SRT4's suck because you can easily get better gas mileage.JK

But you know what, not many people can beat me to the gas station.LOL

Sam