Pulstar Pulse Plugs for SRT's...

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by HEMISFEAR, Apr 29, 2008.

1. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

These are said to generate more than 10 times the power of any spark plug out there right now because they ignite fuel differently. They allow for a more complete burn than is possible with spark plugs. "Modified" magazine dyno tested these on a 350Z to cite an 11 hp increase over platinum spark plugs...

Another gimmick or the real deal? Anyone...?

http://pulstarplug.com

*edit - only see them available for R/T models so far - crap

2. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

Gimmick, IMHO....

Let me find the thread on SRTforums and post it here....

3. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

4. HEMISFEAR

5. HEMISFEAR

It has a full page ad on Road and Track Magazine this month, and being tested by Modified magazine have it some clout...but if the magazine didn't test it themselves and know the exact details of the car that was used...they suck. They're also like 25 bucks each.

6. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

Cliff notes:

Guy sees ad for plugs, asks.

Many many random posts...

Smart, well respected guy comes in to give his opinion.

And it boils down to this. Pulstar claims like 11 hp increase on a 350Z. Problem is, they don't disclose specific info on said car. How many miles were on the car, the plugs, etc.

Basically, he said that 11 hp boost could simply be because the needed new pugs, but not necessarily the new fancy plugs.

And at 100 bucks a set..is it really worth it?

7. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

Talk to KingNate he actually tested and dynoed and datalogged...

8. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

they had some plugs on HorsePower TV this weekend that were like $100+ for a set of 8 that were supposta destroy all other plugs...i can not fore the life of me remember what their names were...

seriously do plugs make THAT big a difference over the normal platinums to justify more than $100 on plugs? lol

9. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

This will be fun. I don't know anything about it but I'll tell you how I think about it, then I'll go read the thread to see if it was a hit or miss :smart::dumb:

You want a nice even burn in the combustion chamber. Not too long and not too short. Ideally it would look like when they lit off Genesis on Star Trek, haha. I guess the best would be to ignite the charge across the surface of the entire chamber. If you touched it off at one point on the edge then it would sort of flash around through the charge and not be very predictable from one firing to the next. The spark plug provides the "match". The spark plug hole is only that big so you can only get a spark over that much area at best. Even so, I think the overwhelming factor determining eveness and length of burn is the fuel in the charge and how evenly it's mixed when it's touched off. I think once you get to the quality of plug (assuming it's the right temperature plug) that will provide a consistent spark at a consistent time that doesn't break down under compression you aren't going to improve significantly on that.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it (at least until I read the thread)

10. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

Well.....heres my take...

Since modern engines burn 99% of the fuel they consume anyhow....how is a different plug going to make more horsepower?? 1%???

11. Quick

Heh... I thought that sounded vaguely familiar. I was on that thread. My advice to Goober was a written contract where he could monitor every bit of the testing and reserve the right to pull the plug (haha) on it at any time and have his car returned to the condition he brought it in. They didn't and he didn't.

12. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

E3
    they made 5HP over the next best plug and did a better job of burning the fuel.
    http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/

I can't confirm the $100 price tag though.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  13. Quick

I read their "technology" page and watched the spark animations. I'm pretty sure I read the same thing on the tech page for my kid's Bionicle.

14. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

E3 plugs are $5.99 ea at Summit.
    P/N: ETP-E3-66

15. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

Side note:
    I don't need better coils, spark plugs, or wires because I expect more HP.
    I want them to make sure I keep the hp I have (with a solid repeatable and effecient spark) throughout the RPM range.
    I am not really talking about plug temperature, this is a different art and IS HP related. But really here you are still ony dialing in the HP you have.

16. HEMISFEAR

These are my sentiments as well. Even if they don't make any power off the start (which I wouldn't expect). Perhaps they retain some hp when another plug would degrade. Just a thought.

17. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

Thats a big negative there buddy and you should know driving the car you do. Fuel is not only for combustion it also is excellent at cooling. Which is why the SRT4 runs so friggin rich even in stock form. Read below and you can see my take on what is going on.

I also made a post on that thread lemme see if I can find it so I don't have to repeat.
    Now after discussion with blackbird I agree that ignition advance is a misstatement the motor is just running less timing for some reason. I also noticed that with the pulstars the duty cycle and the pulse duration of my injectors was down by about 10% and 2ms respectively.

I know they had a seriously bad batch of the plugs and a friend of mine had the misfortune of running a set in his spec V. This first part of the thread is about the actual plugs, if you want to see me own some jackass who thinks he knows electrical theory continue reading down the page. :whistle:
    http://racingsouthwest.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57900&hl=crapstars

18. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

if these were the same ones i am just going off the very accurate prices they give when they talk about stuff...

"you can get these for about $50 for a set of 4" hahaha

19. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

Yea...sometimes HP tv is WAY off.
    I remember the talk about the AirRaid CAI. They said it was worth an 18% (notice PERCENT) increase. So if I make 500 hp with a stock filter and then if I add an AirRaid CAI I will gain 90 HP (18% of 500)......I dont think so. Now maybe 18HP but 18%!

20. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

haha they jsut read whatever they are told pretty much