Problemas!!!

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by MotherMopar, May 5, 2009.

1. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

I crawl back to my home, beaten, tortured... depressed. Long story a little shorter:

I had to have my plastic guard shields under the front fascia replaced. During the repair, it turns out that at somepoint I (or someone else) hit something and damaged my air-water cooler for my Vortech blower; it was leaking. I ordered up the part from Vortech (good price and next day delivery!) and the dealer swapped the part out... no bigs, right?!?! Well...

Driving home, the car begins to backfire a little and was idling a bit rough. That was about 1.5 weeks ago. I called the dealer and they INSISTED they did NOT update the computer (I even asked them prior to the work to NOT touch the computer/tune). The service rep I dealt with, I had dealt with before, and is a decent older guy and he was 100% positive. So I don't necessarily suspect they tampered with the car's computer.

I plan on taking the car to JBA in San Diego, an authorized Vortech shop, to check the car over.

Any suggestions, tips, pointers, problem areas I should have them look at? BTW: I'm having the car flat-bedded there.

Thanks in advance my long lost friends.

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Ugh. So sorry Jason. I learned of this a few days ago.

Any codes being thrown?

3. YoungMedic23

YoungMedic23 Vortech 426 SRT8 Jeep Rollin

Need to know current symptoms as of NOW.....

Does it run?

4. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

I wouldn't take it to JBA. Ralph's shop, Show and Performance, knows more about LX's and possibly Vortech's than they do.

5. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

good point adam.....

as for the car momo, what happened to the heat exchanger??? also, when they replaced it, did they check to see if the system was free of air and circulating through??? i ask this, because i am having one hell of a time getting all the air out of my vortech air/water cooler system for my paxton set up. if the water is not flowing, the air is not cooling, and the car will be choking on some very hot, supercharged air!!! just a thought.

side note, i talked to the guys at paxton/vortech and they told me an easy way to "burp" the air/water system is to put a garden hose in the filler resv. and turn it on slowly to force the water through!!! lol i will be doing this friday!!! hahahahahha

6. Cam

Cam Management up n smoke

Jason, take it to Ralph. He'll get it figured out and you'll get a honest answer bud. Best of luck.

7. 1fastsedan

Of course they're going to recommend their own authorized dealers, that's part of the reason to become an authorized dealer.

The problem is that authorized doesn't mean they're the best. Likely adequate, but not the best.

8. MotherMopar

First, thanks for responding!!! I'd have rick blow all of you as a sign of my gratitude, but he has a bad tooth.

Second, am I missing something? Does ralph have his own shop now?!?! Or are you talking about his mod garage (his house)?!?! I've been out of the loop, car wise, and don't like going for help to folks I haven't spoken to in awhile... I'm not a user... Just a busy as fuck newer dad and overworked government employee (working late right now, sitting in car on surveillance ).

Chris: I don't see a heat issue causing backfires... The car went from
    cool to warm.... Backfiring all the way ( on a 60 degree evening).

Ron: she runs... Just rougher than I feel comfortable with... Plus the backfiring... Backfiring read: slightly louder than regular exhaust 'pops' from tailpipes... Not typical LOUD bangs you'd associate with backfiring.

9. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

jason, before you take it in give me a call. i will help you any way i can.

10. 1fastsedan

Check engine light or codes? Do you smell fuel in the exhaust? Did you reinstall the tune since you suspect the dealer may have messed with the PCM?

11. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

do NOT move the car until you can confirm tune! Or have a wideband (not a cool blinky one that goes on your a-pillar) but a legit one... LM-1 or go home situation. Sounds like someone fucked with your maps. I believe facts over trusted friends personally. If tune is toast, time for a new fancy one ;)

12. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Take it to Ralph and pay him to diagnose the problem first. Chances of it being warranty work is pretty slim... Let's see, Momo crashed the car, then he got it fixed at a dealer ("honest, we won't touch the computer" that was the service writer and not the shop tech right?), then the intercooler is leaking (due to the crash? or the fix? how come they didn't catch that?), and all of a sudden it's running rough???

There is some possibility of a coincidence that some warranty issue happened right at the same time as the rest of this but I'd think it's a small possibility. So pay Ralph for the diagnosis/estimate and then if it's a warranty issue take it to JBA for the fix. If not, then you're already at the right place.

13. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

It's hard to back out on a build like that. Especially when he was so thrilled with the results. Mind you this is coming from a guy that because he needed money sold his 10 second street monster to pimp a 1990 Ford Taurus. LOL

I would have to agree, being a novice automotive hobbiest and in situations like this is more trouble than it is worth.

14. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Jason needs to answer mine and Adam's question (which I already know the answer to lol)...

Are you throwing any codes?

But yea, reload the Vortech tune first. If that does not help, call Ralph and have him come over to YOUR house and take a quick peek with possible diagnosis.

If all else fails, then off to JBA...

15. Quick

I'd agree with that.

1) Re-load the Vortech tune and see if that was it (can't hurt).
    2) Tow it to Ralph's. If you whacked something hard enough to cause a leak or the dealer did something to cause a leak then other plumbing/wiring/sensors/whatever could have been knocked loose or out of whack -- that's not going to be covered by warranty. If it's not covered by warranty then you're almost surely going to get the best price at Ralph's AND (most importantly) you know it's going to be done right. If it was due to the dealer you could ask them to cover it (think small claims court).
    3) If, by some amazing coincidence, something went wrong that is covered by warranty then you can probably talk Vortech into covering one of the tows (try the long one first). The diagnosis isn't going to cost all that much when you look at the big picture.

You're gambling.

On one side you might pay extra if it's strictly a warranty problem and JBA takes care of it.
    If it's not a warranty problem then you don't know that JBA isn't going to charge more than Ralph's place (likely?).
    AND you don't know what kind of job JBA is going to do.

Even if you do end up paying more (low probability) you're still going to be buying a whole lot of peace of mind knowing exactly what's wrong and exactly what needs to be done to fix it and have a solid estimate on it.

16. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

i just got off the phone with jason and i will be going to his place on friday to give him a free diag.

17. MotherMopar

So many questions... But first...

Ralph, thanks. Despite ricks bad tooth, I'll see to it he at least gives you an angry handy-j!

Ralph, did you open a shop? Tell me what you want me to do.

Ron/Adam: I have thrown misfire codes since the 8lb pulley was installed. Random codes, but nothing I researched to be concerned About (same code as when I first installed hiflow cats, before the blower). I forget whY the actual code is.

Haven't reinstalled Vortech tune. I haven't touched that at all... Just to check codes on occassion. Haven't even bothered to upload Vortech download program on new computer either. Yes I was that committed to not screwig with anything!

Btw: ralph just called he is stopping by on Friday!!!! Rick get your k-y jelly and spit rag ready!

Thanks to all of you AGAIN. Especially ralph. He is operating his own shop now! Woohoo! Finally a place we San diegans can trust!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait until the b-man (pup) my son is old enough to start tagging along on car get togethers... Maybe summer time, we will see. I miss the comraderie and friends. You all, despite some of you being raging douchebags, are good eggs! Lmao!!! I can show you all a new work gun or two!!! Legmaker, I've got a new zipper gun I'll pop ya with.... Since my son was born, it's been rarely used!!! Lmao!!!!

18. MotherMopar

I will fill you in on ralph's diagnosis.

As to going back to 'stock', it crossed my mind since rick mentioned it, but if that blower keeps me a pubic hair ahead of rick on the straights, it's all worth it!!!!!!!!! Lmao!

Anyway just got back from work not too long ago... Gonna chill out before bed. Thanks again all. Ralph, check pm.

19. Quick

Glad we got that taken care of... You should give Ralph a couple of those seized cars.

and now we'd like a bit of clarification on a couple of things...

Ummm, this probably wasn't left over from when you high centered it on the speed bump. Care to elaborate?

Ummm, you had your shields replaced. That kind of implies that you didn't replace them. So did you replace them or someone else?

Then you say "at some point...". Did this happen during the repair or some time after?

Then you say "I (or someone else) hit something...". So maybe it was you? or maybe one of those other 5 or 6 people that drive your car? or maybe Ryan?

... and "hit something"? Something? Like you ran over a deer and maybe didn't know it?

this is all very confusing. can you clear this up for us?

(it's good to have you back Momo!)

20. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Welcome back, Jason. Looks like the guys have you covered in more ways than one. I'm in baby-exile right now between the swine flu and the fact she's not walking but she's not content to sit in the stroller either. :maddy:

Best of luck with all this and much as I dislike all the dick-slobbering, I do miss your amusingly theatrical posts. :friends: