Porting and Polishing Heads and Intake discussion.

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by 1bad4dr, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

There is still a huge amount of material that can be cleaned up.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. diegochrysler

diegochrysler Jose"GR8CHORIZO"Jalapeno

Very nice Erik:bigwink:

3. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

very nice erik...... yes, i agree that there is room to improve, but am referencing things in the framework of complete p/p...... similar to what you get from a well extrude honed process.

4. PPPAndy

PPPAndy New Member

well im going to stick with my argument on CNC vs Hand Porting. My biggest issue with hand-porting is that not only is it hard to make 8 ports equal, you have to do it to the next set of heads also. So racer x made 430rwhp with hand-ported heads, how does racer y know that if he buys heads that he will get the exact same head? To me, I feel the best method is to hand-port to find ideal port shape and then digitize and CNC from then on.

As far as Jmatt goes, I tend to agree with him to an extent. Lets take a look at this breakdown based off of results we have seen and staying conservative.
    Cam: $400/35hp: $12 per hp
    Predator: $379/15hp: $24 per hp
    C&L CAI: $249/15hp: $16.60 per hp
    Heads: $2000/30hp: $67 per hp
    90mm TB: $1000/15hp: $67 per hp
    Longtubes: $1600/12hp: $133 per hp (worst hp per dollar of any of them IMO)
    Stroker/Heads/Cam/Diablo/CAI: $8500/150hp: $57 per hp
    Supercharger: $6500/125hp: $52 per hp

There is all kinds of ways of looking at this. The reason most people do heads at the same time as cams is so that nothing breaks in the valvetrain and there is no additional cost to install the heads at the same time. If the question is simply "Are heads worth it", first you have to determine what you are willing to pay per hp. Heads/cam together is going to give you 60-70rwhp on a 6.1 and with a cost of $2500, thats $38 per hp.

5. 392Stu

392Stu Supporting Vendor

I tend to agree, also something that often gets missed is with heads if they are done right the efficiency is better so you will not only have more power but better fuel ecconomey and drivability. There not the first mod you will want to do or the best HP for dollar spent but for well done heads they are a mod that does not have a down side short of cost.

6. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

AWESOME guys... Thanks for chiming in. If there are some more items that you would like to discuss, PLEASE, by all means start another discussion thread.

This thread has been very valuable in many ways. Thanks again.