Popping noise coming from pass side.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by StillANeon, Sep 14, 2008.

1. StillANeon

StillANeon Full Access Member

Okay... I really haven't thought much of it. It would happen ever so once in a while. Whenever I am at a complete stop, easy off the clutch start giving it gas. I sometimes here a POP noise, its kind of faint. I sometimes hear it going into 2nd gear.

I remember a local SRT owner telling me he had a pop noise when he was going in reverse and it was just normal with the LSD. This was towards the beg. of spring. As I remembered that, I didn't think much of it. But as of today it SOMETIMES occurs when I am going in 3rd now. I know for a fact is coming from the pass. side.

I did have my pass axle replaced in early March by a local auto shop. I had a broken boot but I just replaced the entire axle. I bought a Mopar OEM one and had the shop install it. I also had a wheel bearing and hub replaced on the drivers side. I did that with a friend and we torqued it down right. That was in May.

But anyways, I took some pictures underneath my car thinking it was my axle seal. Not sure if this is what its supposed to look like or not, but to me it looks like its out a bit? Not sure though, never looked at it before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

2. psi chick

psi chick New Member

yea that needs to be replaced. it's easier to just replace the whole axle, they're cheap so it's not a big deal.

ps - it's not normal for it to "pop", if there's a noise then something is wrong.

3. StillANeon

So its the seal thats bad? Why replace a axle thats only 7 months old? I believe the seal is $40 ish dollars right? Was this from improper install from the shop? Do these normally go out on our cars all the time?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  4. Goats

Goats God of skittles

most pops are the lower ball joints but see if that bearing in the pic has any wiggle

5. psi chick

psi chick New Member

could be the seal, could be the boot, could be the joint. you won't know without taking it apart. which imo at least is more trouble than it's worth. axles are cheap. if in doubt, replace it.

how old the axle is makes no difference. i've broken an axle that was only on the car for three weeks. if it's bad it's bad, there's nothing else to it. they don't really break unless something else is wrong, or you break it driving. improper burn outs, flooring it around corners, a really bad pot hole, lots of things can do it. also if the car was in an accident and the frame was damaged or the lower control arm, or a ton of other things could cause it. or it just could have been a bad axle, it does happen. in short, there's no way to tell over a computer what happened.

6. StillANeon

Well put it up on a lift at school and it is my lower control arm to subframe bushing. Its almost all gone on the pass. side.

7. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

get that shit! good job! Bushing costs less than an axle... I am just sayin.

Not alot of people have access to a lift so first glance it seems axle and they are cheapish.:bigwink:

8. Cygnus

Cygnus Platinum Supporting Member

I was about to say... it can't be the seal. If its bad it will leak transmission fluid. I should know... it happened to my wife's car.

The bushings cost less then an axle but the work to replace the bushings is far more worse then just replacing an axle.

Upgrade to the LCA bushings from Energy Suspension. You won't have to worry about them ever again.

From what I heard replacing LCA bushings is a PITA!

9. StillANeon

So it is indeed the Lower Control Arm bushing? I will get picts, I think its the isolator bushing not sure though.

So this is what I need?

http://www.modernperformance.com/pr...=1618&osCsid=ed9abbcc477f2a80aef5abc2c417c5c4

The instructor said I could come by early Mon. morning next week and he would help me install it, he has a ton of special tools and a torch. Are there other bushings that should be replaced since its all gonna come out? We will just do PAss. Side of course..

10. psi chick

psi chick New Member

if you're going to upgrade your bushings get the solid ones. rage makes them, it's a better option than just the poly ones. they're more expensive, but worth it.

11. StillANeon

Will check it out ^^^ I take it they are availalb eon the rage tek site?

On with the picts. Might of been stupid to use the LCA as a jackstand point, but my buddy with an 02 ACR Neon did it all the time... Not sure ift aht caused wear on it.

On single jackstand:
    [​IMG]

Car on ground:

Passenger side. (Bad one)
    [​IMG]

Driver side.
    [​IMG]

12. psi chick

psi chick New Member

they should be available on the website.

13. StillANeon

Well. I went to SRTforums and clicked on their link and it took me to another site. I searched it on google and couldn't find it either. So I just went with the Prothane set for $43 shipped. You can buy the stock ones from Dodge and they are $45 each.

14. rico's-srt

rico's-srt Silver Supporting Members

prothane is good

15. Goats

Goats God of skittles

jegs has them in prothane for both sides for like $45 when u did mine the damn bushing fell off

16. StillANeon

So any tips on the install? Or is it pretty much straight forward?

would it be a good idea to replace the ball joints too? Or is that too much work added on?

17. psi chick

psi chick New Member

usually not needed.

just be sure that you have a press, they won't go in correctly without it. other than that it's pretty straight forward.

18. Goats

Goats God of skittles

heres a life saver burn the old bushings off with a torch but make sure it doesnt glow red

19. 2muchpsi

2muchpsi Gold Supporting Members

Mine clicks, doesn't pop on the pass side, its the lca bushings also. I'm just gonna buy the whole kit from energy suspension for $100. I may sound stupid but what kind of press are we talkin about?

20. StillANeon

Remover Receiver, Special Tool 8373-1, into the cup of the ball joint press, Special Tool C-4212F and tighten the set screw. Install the Remover Driver, Special Tool 8373-2 on the tip of the ball joint press screw driver.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008