Performance Cam... all vendor love aside...

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by Bda1855, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Bda1855

Bda1855 NOOB

I have been searching and searching and reading up on LX Forums and i cant seem to find a straight answer... i talk to vendors and then i get PMs from members saying that vendor sucks etc...

So i thought i would toss it up on here and hope that the Vendor nutt swinging wouldnt be as blatent...

Looking for a VERY good performing Cam for a STOCK SRT8... i like the TQ gains posted on the FRI Scud, but i dont really want to have to change the Valve Springs... I like the SRT MAX, but the power curve shifts a little to the right for my DD...

Anyone know more about the Super Spartan Max from Inertia?

What about the other Vendors?

I need a Cam that chops a bit (probably a 114 LSA with a 750 Idle in Park) but that performs without having to add a bunch of extra stuff to it...

When i put in the cam ill be porting the intake, and the TB... and then getting a tune... either Email from Johan or a CMR from Adam at ST... (dont know who else can tune in So Cal)...

I dont want to break the bank with Heads, cam, LTs TC etc...

I will be adding a TQ converter and HF Mids later... but for now, im looking for a straight Cam only car that has killer performance... I have a Mopar CAI, and will be doing a Suitcase Delete exhaust...

thanks guys!

2. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

Based on what you said about the SRT Max, you may want to look at a cam with a 214 intake duration. Then you can advance it up to 4 degrees (safely) and move your power curve into lower RPMS.

Or you can go with the bigger cam and get a higher stall torque converter.

3. Cam

Cam Management up n smoke

The Sparten Max is a very good cam. It'll work with the stock springs just fine. But you will be getting tuned to run it. The SRT max is a great top end cam, but yes it does give it up on the bottom end. The HHP stage two is a albsolute top performer as well, but it idles like stock........kinda boring. But with either the stage two or the max, you'll be putting in springs.

PPP has some stuff that makes good numbers on the dyno.............hehehehe.

I know nothing about the scud.

Maybe PM Brute or Bizzle, both of them run the Sparten max. I run the original sparten and have had great success with it. I also have a sparten max in stock too if you decide to go that route.

4. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I like my HHP Stage 1 Cam...any bigger and i'd probably need heads...but gives good gains :)

5. Bda1855

Bda1855 NOOB

Hmm thats a good Idea.... with the advancing...

and CAM thanks for the input... i like to hear what people who install cams and performance goodies are running...

you wouldnt install crap into a car that a shop car...

I guess i need to do more research...

6. Cam

That's not true. I will and I have. And I've also ripped them the F out and put another one in.

7. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Dahahaha. [real world adjustment] People like Cam work on and install the good stuff for customers who have money and can afford it. He doesn't and runs junk in his cars. :grin: Gets him home and back to the shop most of the time.

8. Bda1855

Bda1855 NOOB

HAHA you know what i mean... Your an honest shop (or so i have heard) so you arent going to run a cam in a car and say its teh $hit when its actually a PIECE of $hit....

I like the idea of the 214 Cam now that i am reading up on it... the Spartan regular or the PPP Stage I with a 4* advance might be the best bet...

the Scud Cam from FRI is pretty big... 219/223 with a +2* Advance ground in...

so i would have to run PAC springs, and TC JUST to run it...

I dont know... i am not a rich man... but a cam seems like cheap power...

any more thoughts would be sweet...

9. Cam

It always gets me home...............might be sputtering a tad, but I get home damn-it!.

Also I'm not a fan of the PAC springs. I know there is a new one out that both Fri and Stu use. But I'll stick with the PSI's thank you very much. No one has broken one yet, they are compliant for a decent amount of lift. Using the stock dampner, seat pressure is 158lbs (without is 130lbs at 1.8 installed height)and at .600 lift is 340 if I remember right (gotta check my notes). Plenty of clearance at .600, well within the manufactures rating.

The pac springs that I just did some testing with (not supplied by either Stu of Fri) were set up at 200lbs seat pressure and went into coil bind at .580 lift. now back that spring off .030 and it would be fine for a cam with .550 lift. But still exceeds the manufactures rating on coil bind clearances.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  10. 1fastsedan

...might be covered in gear oil...
    ...might have blown rear shocks...
    ...might have the paint destroyed by tire cords...
    ...might have metal from the rockers in the oil...

...but it does get him home.

11. Cam

That's all that matters right??!!.

12. 1fastsedan

Yes it is. Mine has had to be towed twice this year. :(

13. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

14. Bizzle

Bizzle Little Hemi

Damn i thought I heard something ringing. I'm running the spartan max cam with stock heads and converter. I forgot where it is dialed in at but I can tell you that the car pulls, and pulls and keeps pulling. I get a nice kick in the ass at around 3000 rpm. I haven't had the opportunity to ride in any other modified 6.1's so I can't really compare it to others.

15. Bda1855

Bda1855 NOOB

Yeah not a fan of Coil spring issues... i busted a Mod Max spring in my Lightning... luckily it was the very top of the coil, and the motor had 8.3:1 CR so i never contacted the piston with the valve... but it was also the third time in 12 months that the motor had to come back out... after that i changed the heads back to fresh stock heads and stock cams... and said screw it...

OK... so I will buy Hardend pushrods, but would really like to run stock 2006 6.1L valve springs for now (have 45K miles, will freshen up the motor at 100K)...

Which cam... CAM?

PPP 214/218 +4*
    Spartan 214/218 +4*
    FRI Littleboy 214/218 +4*

OR

Spartan Max 218/218

I like that the spartan max will take full advantage of the Ported Intake and TB... and that i dont have to worry about correctly dialing in only 4* of advance on the cam...

Hmmm i wonder if there are any Spartan Max Camshafts used on LX Forums...

Thanks for the info... you just have the Spartan Max and the CAI?

16. Bizzle

Bizzle Little Hemi

I have the Spartan Max, RDP Intake, 85mm Throttle body, Magnaflow Highflow's and Catback.

17. Bda1855

Bda1855 NOOB

Sweet thats good to hear...

Im hoping to do a Gasket matched and ported Intake Manifold, Port TB, and HIgh Flow Cats when i do the cam...

Who tuned your car?

Whats the cost on this cam? Do you stock the pushrods too?

18. Bizzle

Bizzle Little Hemi

Bob@SVS is tuning it.

19. Howdee

Howdee Brown noser

This tomahawk should do the trick. I had it in my srt, lope, but very good idle
    2 around 700 no need to upgrade springs etc.
    Tomahawk cam excellent condition about 8k use. Went with forged motor with head and cam package. $300 plus shipping, More info here:
    http://www.thehemisource.com/mm5/mer...manceCamshafts
    [email protected] $250!!! Recommended and installed by Hemi31
    Ladson,SC 20456
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600 and weights 107KB.[​IMG]

20. 1fastsedan

The tomahawk is a stump puller down low, but it really lacks top end power that most "newer" HEMI cams on the market will give you. I've had 2 versions of it and eventually switched to a custom ground variation of the SRT Max.