Pedders Springs

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by JCSRT8, Aug 3, 2008.

1. JCSRT8

JCSRT8 Life In the Fast Lane

Does the Pedders springs that work with the rear Nivomats really lower the rear like they claim? Has anyone tried these yet?

2. pukkasrt8

pukkasrt8 puk·ka [adj.] first class

id like to know this too

3. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

X3! Maybe check the Pedders forum on here also JC and see if you can find out anything.

4. srt8_hmi

srt8_hmi My dream is over.

won't any springs with a different rate lower our cars? I was under the impression that unless we went with a true coilover our cars couldn't be dropped properly. More or less different springs would just wear out the stock suspension over time.

5. Cheatek

True, but we're talking about dealing with the rear self-leveling shocks called Nivomats. They keep the car at the stock ride height even with lowering springs in place.

6. srt8_hmi

srt8_hmi My dream is over.

Ohhhh!! Do these work mechanically? Do all 06 and 07 models have these?

7. Cheatek

Yea, I thought they all did till Moe (FF2MOE) piped in and said otherwise. Now I'm not sure. Regardless, Pedders says their springs WILL lower the car with the Nivomats in place. Trying to find out how.

8. 4DRHTRD

4DRHTRD 6.1L+boost=fun

I was going to get some Eibach's but I think I'll do the Peddlers springs with my stock shocks for now and then switch out the Nivomats after a couple of weeks. I'll make sure to post up some before/after and then after/after again with new shocks.
    :)

9. JMatt

JMatt Platinum Supporting Member

With Nivomats in place the car won't lower without ruining your shocks.

I've made this bet LOTS of times. I'm batting 1000% so far.

10. 4DRHTRD

4DRHTRD 6.1L+boost=fun

I'm betting the same thing but since everybody is doubting it I'll put them on then put the 08 bilsteins on a week later. :p
    Gotta make sure it'll all clear the new 305/30-22 on 22x11's first.

11. JMatt

JMatt Platinum Supporting Member

It'll lower your car.....for the first mile. Then the Nivomats will pump back up with their internal, motion activated pump.

The only way to lower them is to use so little spring that the Nivomat is 100% loaded.

Bad way to drive.

12. JCSRT8

Thanks for the info. I've had lowering springs on various cars and i just cant stomach spending $1600.00 to lower my car and thats why I, along with a few others have been trying to find alternative routes. I dont hit the tracks, so its just the look that im gunning for.

13. 4DRHTRD

4DRHTRD 6.1L+boost=fun

Rear shocks are the ticket along with standard lowering springs.
    :)

14. Cheatek

JMatt, so do you think this is the way the Pedders springs work then?? 100% loaded?? I agree, that ain't good and it just doesn't seem like something Pedders would do since they seem pretty first rate on their stuff and really seem to know what they're doing. JC is right tho, they do say quite clearly that their springs will indeed lower your car with the nivomats in place. Hmmmmm, very confusing ...

15. JCSRT8

That could be it Scott, max out the load on the Nivomats is what the Pedders probly do. That makes sense to me because its been driving me crazy trying to figure out how there spings work and everyone elses doesn't.

16. Cheatek

Agreed, a spring is a spring, the only thing different from one to another is the size and spring wt. rating. Why don't you go straight to the horses mouth and find out ... go to the Pedders Forum here in the vendors section and ask them directly HOW they work, I'm just as interested to know as you are.

17. JCSRT8

I spoke to someone already and he clearly stated that it will lower the rear about an inch. I was looking for something more closer to 2", but i haven't quite made up my mind on which way im going. Im thinking about using the Eibach Sportlines since they offer the lowest drop and just swap out the rear shocks.

18. Cheatek

I'd still like to know how the Pedders springs work with the Nivomats tho.

19. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

The principle is to lower the upper mount 1” (or whatever Pedders spring drop is), which allows the car to sit properly on lowering springs. This retains the FULL travel of the shocks, and the bump stops, preventing damage to the Nivomats when potentially bottoming out.

To lower a Nivomat self-leveling shock, you must lower the upper mount by a similar amount of drop that the springs will give. Otherwise the self-leveling mechanism in the shocks will pump up, raising the rear back to their designed as the ride height. This retains the stock Nivomat travel, since the top of the shock now sits 1” higher in the car.

Late entry: The mechanical spring must be dimensioned weaker than a damper solution, as
    indicated above, since the Nivomat takes over a portion of the spring force. Probably how Pedders is doing it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  20. Cheatek

Thanks Rick, I knew you'd know something, appreciate the input. You da man!!