PCM not getting to duty cycle...

Discussion in 'Diablosport Q&A' started by 1bad4dr, Dec 23, 2009.

1. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

well DAVE...my car also had a new motor and a cam issue until 5 whole days before it was time for the inspection...and not something i had been putting off as Erik came and I had the car at Shippan Auto for a week trying to Diagnose the problem then fix it lol...

I know you have had them in for a while lol..i was merely stating...when i first got my car to a setup that COULD pass...it took a while for it to take...I CAN READ GOOD! :flowers:

2. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

So you dont have any friends with an address 1.5 miles away?? If not then register in Florida for petes sake..Problem solved..Forever ;)

3. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

(talk about a soft pitch...) Oh, I didn't realize that you've been trying to get your PCM in the ready state for THREE YEARS. :whistle::rofl:

"I'm here for the inspection. No, I can't drive it off the trailer, won't the sniffer reach out here?"

4. Quick

By the way (just thinking), does the dealer have a sniffer too? How do you know that once you get the PCM to go ready by changing all those parameters that you'll pass the tail pipe sniffer?

What would happen if you take the blower belt off and used the stock PCM flash? That might be a better approach. Start from stock and tweak parameters one at a time to get it to run.

5. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

I do. That is a last resort though. lol

LMFAO
    Sniffer's not used on 05's and above, UNLESS, there is visible smoke after start up (during inspection). :)

Well, I would first have to buy an Intake Manifold, but yea I thought about doing that as well, Dave. Thanks.

I was really hoping Diablo would chime in and give some sort of guidance on this as well. ??

Meh, I am off to Hellion to check the tune and the parameters in 30 minutes, so hopefully we can find something?

6. Quick

Do they have something like where you can register it as a "show car only" which exempts you from most everything and you're only supposed to drive it to and from shows? That might buy you time.

"I'm here for the inspection. You just need to sign off on the form. Under the new regulations I opted for the SRT/C Green Ceritification. All the parts have the required sticker on them".

7. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

for the future for me at least....

If i pull off the blower tubing...and shove a small "home made" intake on just for the test...do you think I could pass? LOL

i have actually been thinking about that...I have a bunch of sized intake filters....just have a pipe with the elbow from the blower...just kinda to the side a bit...with a filter on it..just use it for the inspection

have the car set basically to stock since im on stock heads and a very mild cam...

Think that would work?

8. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

I hope so. That's my plan if Vortech doesn't get their CARB number by next year.

I was thinking you pull the cog belt off so that the bower doesn't spin, throw a filter on the throttle body, and get a clean NA tune.

9. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

You would also need to change out the MAP sensor if you were to go to stock tune. Also the injectors...

10. Quick

How much larger are your injectors than stock? Percentage wise.

11. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

48lb stock

68lb current with an upscale.

12. Quick

So about 42% larger. I think the adaptives would take care of that. Not positive if it would throw a code or not... since the long terms would be maxed and the short terms would always be minus (but not maxed out). Interesting question though.

13. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

With the heads and cam I have, the stock tune is not an option. I'll have to have a CMR N/A tune. :(

14. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

good call...

thought my car was N/A for a while there when the blower belt was broken LOL

which injectors are you using?

I forget what my flow rate is...but it is whatever the SRT4 stage 2's are if my memory serves me correctly....

15. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

I think we might be making some head way. Dave (from Hellion) sent Johan the emissions tune I have been running for the last 750 miles and found that the misfire parameters had been turned off.

Johan turned them back on and sent Dave the new file. I have since installed the revised tune and have logged nearly 35 miles and started getting a few codes. UGH. Lean Conditions in bank 1 and 2 (P0171/174) and random misfire (P0300) codes.

Cool, at least I know the PCM is now talking to itself. haha Now to figure out the codes and fix them so I can try the emissions again.

Still looking for some insight though.

16. Quick

Is the "ready" state independent of codes? Does "ready" just mean that all monitors are active and working (and initialized with enough history, etc)? Then codes generated are a separate thing. Just wondering. If that's the case then you could drop by the dealer and see if you've achieved the "ready" part of it.

Lean codes? part throttle boost?
    The misfires are happening at startup? Can that be adjusted for a rpm threshold? Like only registers misfires above 300 rpm or something? would that kill your "ready" state?

17. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

yeah Dave...at least from what it seems with when i went to have my car done

I had no codes at all when i went for my inspection....but my car was listed as being "not ready"

18. Quick

Can the car be in "ready" state WITH codes? I'm thinking "ready" does not imply "ok" but only means that all the designated emission parameters are being monitored correctly. I got the impression that they check if it's in "ready state" AND there are no codes that are on their list.

19. Blown7

Blown7 SRTC Good Guy

There are lots of parameters that need to be in ready (off the top of my head maybe 30-40 items or so) and for some ready =OK , others need to run (like misfire) to be ready.
    Basically you can have all but one be ready but one can have a DTC and throw a code.

My best guess (I'm I hope I'm wrong) it will be a almost impossible task to pass all the OBDII computer tests with a supercharged LX.
    Now in Rons favor he has a 2006 I think....... so the 2006 NGC3 controller is easier than 2007+ models.

20. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Yes Jeff, mine is an 06.

And you are correct, it is next to impossible to have a 100% pass on all parameters. Fortunetly most states, counties, and/or cities give a little on this.

My county requires that 6 out of 8 main paramaters pass (O2, O2 Heaters, Cats, Evap Cooler, ect..) The eight I listed (O2 and Cats count as 2) are the ones that are NOT ready. I need to get 6 of them to ready state.

With the misfire parameters now turned on, I think we can get all listed to a ready state, but it will take lots of cold starts and miles to get the averages back up to pass?

To get rid of my current codes, I will need to change my iridium plugs (1 step colder) to OEM plugs. This should get rid of the P0300 random misfire code.

The lean condition bank 1 and 2 will need to be datalogged and have fuel added in to closed loop and part throttle driving parameters. I need to get the tune unlocked first, though. haha