Painting hood scoop lettering

Discussion in 'Exterior Modifications' started by leeperryar, Aug 26, 2008.

1. leeperryar

leeperryar New Member

So, I have had a yellow vinyl hood scoop insert for the lettering for around 3 years now, and of course it has faded over time. I was going to order a new one, but the order appears to have fallen through. Anyway, I was thinking that a possibly better way to do it would be just to simply use some type of paint, as I don't mind it being permanent.

I have no real idea if this is possible or if it would hold up. My idea was to use tape around the lettering and then using either a roller to avoid streaking lines, or some type of spray based paint. Any ideas on what type of paint or technique could work best for this? It needs to have minimal fading and be resistant to the elements of course. Maybe even two layers? The paint and then some type of sealent or protective covering?

Or... if someone knows of a better way to go about filling in the lettering with a color.

2. turbosocks

turbosocks srt n00b

of course painting it would hold up.. but it would be tricky to keep it all in the lines and look 'perfect'. and of course anything is possible, just will take either a REALLY good tape job, or a very VERY steady hand.

I have also thought about doing this, and i came up with a pretty good idea i think.

get a vinyl decal for a template. then use painters tape and cut out the letters/numbers with a razor blade.. take the scoop out, paint the ENTIRE thing the color you want the letters. let it dry for a few hours, and then overlay the numbers/letters with the cut out painters tape. then paint it black like stock, wait a few hours for it to dry, remove the painters tape.. and VOILA, you will have colored letters on the black scoop.

i would also recommend clearing the entire thing after the tape is removed to prevent chipping around the edges where color meets black. it will also help it hold up over time.

3. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

4. StillANeon

StillANeon Full Access Member

Just buy another sticker. My silver one is holding up great after a year. Once it goes bad I will fork over the $5 and get another one.

5. srt-4chick

srt-4chick Silver Supporting Members

i would just buy a new one

6. FreebirdSRT

FreebirdSRT The Bird is the Word

I just ordered graphics for my Bee and used them like a template to paint the car. Orginally the car came with graphics, from the factory. I wanted them to be more permanent so I painted where the graphics where, in gloss black paint.

With my valve/coil pack covers, the covers were shot in black. Then I applied the graphics to the covers. Then shot the covers in Det. Yellow and then peeled off the graphics to show the black lettering, Mopar and flying Bee. Then shot the covers in clear.

My valve/coil pack covers.
    [​IMG]

I did the same thing with my trunk lid. From the factory, there is a graphics already on the trunk lid. I removed that and personalized my lid with Super Bee, Flying Bee and 993/1000. The same process for the engine covers were used on the trunk lid. Since we were going to be working on the trunk lid, I went ahead and smoothed out the 3rd brake light and the trunk keyhole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also took an RT hood and painted yellow Bee stripes and the large Super Bee circular logo on as well. Eventually, I will paint the graphics that are on the side of the car now, onto the car in gloss black paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. turbosocks

turbosocks srt n00b

yep, thats exactly what i was talking about.. looks SOOO much better than some cheap vinyl that will eventually fade/crack/peel.

and with painting the hood scoop text, you would only have to do it once if you did it right.

8. FWSRT4

FWSRT4 Platinum Supporting Member

Freebird thats alot of freakin YELLOW!! I bet you blind people going down the road:bigwink: I love that car, the only part I don't quite agree with is the hood, otherwise very unique!

9. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

Not necessarily...I had my hood professionally painted. And all it took was one d@mn rock, and now it needs to be re-done. Now I know the scoop is a smaller target, but do you really want to go through all the hassles over a $5 sticker?

10. turbosocks

turbosocks srt n00b

i would.. paint is MUCH better looking, and lasts longer than a piece of cheap vinyl. i know there are some things, like rocks that can wreck it, but it would be pretty rare for a rock to hit that spot.

also, if you rattle can it, itll only cost another 10$ in paint and a couple hours worth of time..

thats just my opinion..

and im not dogging on vinyl at all, just is what i am/might do with the scoop.

i will, however, be doing a rear black out vinyl with big MOPAR text in ghost type letters probably.

11. leeperryar

leeperryar New Member

So if it were to be done with paint you think just simple spray paint would work good and hold up well?

I never thought to look on E-Bay. I originally got mine from Rev Motorsports. I wonder what the fitament and colors are like for the ones on E-Bay.

12. leeperryar

leeperryar New Member

Your car looks amazing! I love the look and how you've gone about creating it.

13. srt-4chick

yellow is the best color to have

14. srt-4chick

i say buy a new one or paint it............vinyl works for a short term thing then it starts to peel and fade. I dated a guy that did vinyl work and it doesnt last very long and still look pretty

15. FWSRT4

FWSRT4 Platinum Supporting Member

I agree. I've always been partial to the Solar Yellow NSRT, that was my first choice over the Orange Blast but I had to represent the OB as I am a Cleveland Browns fan:blush:

16. srt-4chick

SY is by far the best but i understand with the OB......:sorry:

17. turbosocks

turbosocks srt n00b

yeah, simple spray paint will work fine.. just make sure to add a good amount of clear over both colors. it will make it look MUCH better and be protected better from the elements.

18. leeperryar

leeperryar New Member

When I first decided I wanted a SRT-4 yellow was what I wanted. However, as we all know the 04s were not offered in yellow... so I went with black. I hate the maintenance on keeping it clean. :(

19. srt-4chick

X2 :grin:

20. leeperryar

leeperryar New Member

The one I have now has stood up fairly well. I just found a dealer on E-Bay that had pictures of his (I assume) and ships you two when you order them. So, naturally since it is a good price... I ordered 2 sets of 2. Got a few backups this time! If those don't stand up too well I may attempt the paint option.

Thanks a bunch everybody for the help and suggestions!