*** Ozzie's SpeedFest – Irvine, California – March 16, 2008

Discussion in 'National Events' started by Ozzie, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

[​IMG]

• Drag Racing • AutoCross/Car Control Course
    • Burnout/Donut Contest • Exhibition Drifting
    • Displays • Trophies • Drawings • Giveaways

Be a part of the biggest LX-based Performance Driving Event in the U.S. Our second annual SpeedFest is guaranteed to appeal to performance-driving novices and seasoned speed demons alike.

Sign up now to participate in a full day of performance driving: AutoCross/Car Control, Drag Racing, and our famous (or is that infamous?) Burnout/Donut Contest.

The whole day of activities is open to everyone, whether you have an LX platform vehicle or not. Whether you're attending the Spring Festival or not. Where else can you legally spank your buddy in his Camaro or whatever, in a straight line AND in the twisties? On the same day!

[​IMG]

Our event this year will take place at the HISTORIC EL TORO MARINE AIR STATION, less than a mile east of the City of Irvine, where Interstate 5 and the 405 Freeway meet. Before it was decommissioned in 1999, Marine Corps Air Station El Toro was the home of Marine Corps aviation on the West Coast. Designated as a Master Jet Station, its four runways could handle the largest aircraft in the U.S. military inventory.

Ozzie's SpeedFest will take over large sections of two of those runways for our event. It's the perfect location to go as fast and/or enthusiastically as we possibly can over two (or three if you've got the cajones) thrilling courses. El Toro is scheduled for re-development, and this could possibly be the last opportunity most of us will ever get to check out, let alone be able to say we raced down, a runway at this historic military site.

*** 1. AUTOCROSS/CAR CONTROL COURSE ***

[​IMG]

Novice Drivers Want to experience how your ride handles under extreme driving conditions? Want to further develop your driving skills? Our professionally-run autocross course is the perfect introduction to performance driving. No special preparation of your ride is necessary.

Throughout the day, you'll methodically take your ride to performance levels you'll probably (or should I say, hopefully) never encounter on the streets. You'll experience the thrill of learning to control your ride under "unusual" driving conditions. All in a very safe, controlled environment. You won't damage your ride. Each of your runs will be timed, so you will receive tangible proof of your rapidly improving skills.

You will definitely leave this event a better driver, with a real appreciation for your improved driving abilities, and a deeper understanding of your ride's capabilities.

Advanced Drivers Time to take your driving skills to a new level. Accurate timing equipment will measure your performance and give instant feedback as you push yourself and your ride to new levels of car-control competence. Want some bragging rights? Challenge your forum buddies to a REAL TEST of driving skills. Who can get around this challenging, professionally designed course the fastest? Without "killing a cone." PLUS! Get "real world" feedback on the value of some of those performance mods you've installed.

Know someone who would benefit from this? Doesn't drive an LX? Doesn't matter. Everyone is welcome. Whatever their ride. Just make sure they register online on the official Spring Festival signup page.

*** 2. 1/4 MILE DRAG RACING ***

[​IMG]

Novice Drivers Ever wondered what it's like lining up against another car, and flooring it for a quarter-mile? Just like they do at an NHRA event? Just like you see on TV? Here's the perfect opportunity. No experience needed. No special preparation of your ride is necessary.

You'll be guided through the process, and, without any pressure, develop the skills needed to launch your ride perfectly. In no time at all, you'll be on your way to a "personal best" 1/4 mile E.T.

After this event, you'll look like a pro at the track. You'll be totally comfortable participating in test 'n tunes and drag races anywhere in the country.

Advanced Drivers Time to put aside the on-line braggadocio and let your quarter-mile times speak for themselves. How does your ride and the mods you've installed measure up on a real "driver's track." Same day. Same conditions. No excuses. Just bring it! This is as close as you will probably get to an old-time airstrip drag race. "Two Lane Black Top" anyone? Except we'll have timing equipment so there's no doubt in anyone's mind who won.

Classes for just about every ride. Even bracket racing if you want. Feel free to invite your buddy and whatever ride he has, too. Doesn't have to be an LX. Hell. Doesn't even need to be a Mopar for that matter. Just make sure your buddy registers for this event on the official Spring Festival signup page, and is prepared to have a great time!

*** 3. BURNOUT/DONUT CONTEST ***

[​IMG]

Without doubt, this was a highlight of last year's event, and this year's contest promises to be even more spectacular. Everyone who registers for the SpeedFest may enter this contest, and burn rubber like you've never done before! Take a look at what you can expect!

*** PLUS ***​

EXHIBITION DRIFTING Don't miss some exciting Drifting by the "pros". Come see how it's really done.

DISPLAYS Our sponsors will have displays of the very latest performance parts and other mods for your ride. Come talk one-on-one with the professionals about your speed needs.

TROPHIES Trophies will be awarded in up to 30 different categories! Your chances of taking home a trophy just don't get any better than this!

DRAWINGS There will be drawings for thousands of dollars worth of performance products.

*** GET INVOLVED ***

VOLUNTEERS Once again this year, we'd appreciate some assistance with parking and such for an hour or so in the morning, plus we'll need a keen-eyed crew to help keep the dragstrip debris-free and running smoothly throughout the day. Make a post in this thread if you are interested to VOLUNTEER, and we'll contact you.

MENTORS Last year at the California Speedway SpeedFest, a few folk gave generously of their time, helping track novices develop their skills for a few laps. Or in some cases, a lot of laps. This year, we're hoping our MENTORS will pitch in again, helping the newbies negotiate the cones, or helping them learn the ropes on the dragstrip. Post in this thread and let us know you'd like to be a MENTOR.

SPECTATORS Spectators, as always, are welcome. Free parking for all.

*** WHAT TO BRING ***

HELMET Bring one for yourself and any passengers (Yes, you may take a passenger for a ride on any of your runs!) No special requirements for the helmet. Either auto or motorcycle helmets will be acceptable. There will be a couple of helmets on hand to borrow, but with the number of people we expect to attend the SpeedFest, there might be quite a wait to borrow one. You'd be better off bringing your own or arranging prior to the event to borrow one.

FOOD El Toro Air Station, while being relatively close to everything in Irvine, it is just far enough away from the usual fast food outlets to make it a bit inconvenient to leave the base for lunch or snacks. Although you may leave and re-enter the facility any time. We hope to have a concession stand available, but it might be an idea to pack a lunch and snacks. Oh, and water. There will be free bottled water for all participants, but you can never have enough water on hand here in Southern California.

SHELTER Hey! It's an airstrip. There's no cover. Anywhere. Definitely bring a pop-up if you have one, and lawn chairs. And a hat. And sunscreen!

GAS No race gas, or any gas for that matter, will be available on-site. BYO gas can, or watch your fuel gauge. You may leave and re-enter the facility at any time to re-fuel.

*** DIRECTIONS ***

Exit Sand Canyon from Interstate 5. Take Marine Way around to the Station entrance and follow the SpeedFest direction signs from there.

[​IMG]

*** COST ***

Sign up on-line RIGHT NOW with Credit Card, E-Check or PayPal, and this whole day of performance driving fun costs only $110.00!

The fee for same-day registration will be $125.00 (cash only).​

1. If you are already registered for the Spring Festival of LXs, PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK! Simply sign in with the username and password you used during Spring Festival registration.

2. If you have not yet registered for the Spring Festival, please do so at www.SoCalLX.com, and then return to the SpeedFest link above (or simply select the SpeedFest tab after successful signup).

3. Want to participate in the SpeedFest, but you will NOT be attending the Spring Festival? Easy. Follow the same instructions in (2) but click "No" when asked if you will be attending the Spring Festival.

Don't miss out on this great event. Sign up right now!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  2. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

Dammm i wanna go but its too close.
    not enought time to plan.

3. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

sweet deal Ozman!

4. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Dude! Go to this event!!! I'd go but I'll be six months along and having to spectate will be torture!! So instead I'm promoting the crap out of this so they do it again next year when I can take part!! :happy:

So GOOOOOOOO!!! :dance4:

5. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Darn it...if I could afford the $1500 I would go. It sure would be fun!!!!

6. Trojan

Trojan Trillions Bro! Right on!

Excellent work Ozzie!! Im signed up and ready to go! :drunk:

7. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

We have classes for just about everybody. In fact, your chances of taking home a trophy at this event are pretty good:

1 – LX OPEN
    2 – LX 426 N/A
    3 – LX LX 392 N/A
    4 – LX 6.1 N/A Drag Radials
    5 – LX 6.1 N/A Street Tires
    6 – LX 5.7 N/A Drag Radials
    7 – LX 5.7 N/A Street Tires
    8 – LX V6 N/A Drag Radials
    9 – LX V6 N/A Street Tires
    10 – Other Modern Mopar
    11 – Old School Mopar
    12 – Heathen (other makes)

We'll be awarding trophies to the winners and runners-up in each category.

If you registered your interest on the Spring Festival page, but haven't paid your $95.00, make sure you do it before March 1, so you get the free SpeedFest T-Shirt!

8. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

We expect a couple of NM types. See if you can tag along!

Thanks mate! :salut:

God, I love this woman! :friends:

$1500?

You're in, buddy! :thumb3:

9. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

New tires and brakes!!! LOL

10. nevinsrt

i usually plan a month out.
    so my wife and i can work things out with work!!
    and she's already pissed because im going to almost every event
    this month here in ABQ already.

11. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :tooth:

12. ChargerGirl

Another track widow/er. Marc can relate after last year. :happy:

13. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

Hey! Tomorrow's Valentine's Day. Do something outrageously romantic. You'll be golden for at least a month. :thumb3:

14. nevinsrt

well we have a free event this sunday
    its free as an effort to help take street racing off the streets
    and i offer rides to people who want to see what its like

so far ive gotten a couple of kids into returning or entering the events

they also give free food

15. vvv90

vvv90 She's a Ho...For show....

Damn.....I"m flying in, but of course I'll be there like last year.....Anyone brave enough to lend me their car for a lap er two? ;)

16. ChargerGirl

Cool! Ozzie's actually the one who got me hooked on road courses/auto-x. :happy:

17. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

Frankly, I'm AMAZED you (and Marc) still talk to me! :grin:

18. ChargerGirl

:thongue2:

He was freaked about it at first, but now I drive calmer on the street/road so he's cool with it, just no road coursing while I'm preggers. After the baby's born, I'm back in the race! :dance4:

19. nevinsrt

AWESOME!!!
    LMFAO!!!!:towel:
    LMAO!!! :thumb3:

20. ChargerGirl

But seriously, this looks like Disneyland level fun to me. So I totally encourage people to go if they can. Its just one day and if you get hooked, then you can think about your tire/brake/mod budget. :happy: