One Track Day And New Rotors Glazed

Discussion in 'Autocross/Road Racing' started by Super Bee 555, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Super Bee 555

Super Bee 555 Full Access Member

Had a track day Monday four half hour sessions. By the afternoon I noticed a little wash boarding when braking. Last track day about two mounths ago it was real bad, dealer replaced rotors no ? asked. I think that the pads are over heating and depositing pad onto the rotors or are they warping?
    Took one side apart yesterday the pads have about 3/8" of meat on them with some signs of cracks, the rotors have greyish blue streaks on them.
    Any advice on how to prevent this.
    I have a set of Hawk HPS Plus Pads on order, is this the route to go.
    6K on odometer
    less than 600 miles on new rotors.
    Here is the link to Pics of brakes.
    http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn43/SuperBee555/Brakes/

2. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

Yep, you got pad material deposited on the rotor when it was hot. You can have the rotors turned a few thousandths to remove the pad deposits. Make sure you take it to someone who has and doesn't mind turning slotted rotors. A lot of places won't do it because it takes longer and if they're not careful they can wreck their lathe bit.

In the future, make sure you use your cool down lap for actually cooling down. I also try to drive a slow lap or two around the paddock and garage areas to cool the brakes down. Make sure that you don't hold the brakes tight after coming off the track. When coming down pit road, I down shift it to first and then carefully roll through any stop signs so I don't have to hold the pads to the rotors.

3. Super Bee 555

Are the Hawk HPS Plus pads a higher temp pad, and if they are do you think that will solve the problem?

4. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

I don't know. I just drive it like I described above when coming off the track and I haven't had a problem.

A friend of mine had to come to a full stop after a run due to a pedestrian crossing the paddock and his rotors looked just like yours.

I'm very happy with the stock pads so I just changed my cool down procedure to make sure that it doesn't happen to me.

5. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

A good cool down is key! I have several track days on my stock rotors and have had no issues, but I alwasy did a good cool down laps and alos some cool down in the paddock. Make sure not to come to a complete stop when brakes are hot. I never used the stock pads on the track, I used EBC Redstuffs which held up great, they also make a Yellowstuff pad which is for race use. The Hawk pads should do well though. I have not used them on the SRT yet, but we have used them on other cars with good results. I may try Hawks next time to compare.

6. Super Bee 555

I started feeling the wash boarding while on the track, I used the last lap to cool just tapping the brakes.
    The Track I,m on is pretty agresive 3.5 miles and 21 turns, Straight away speeds of 110 then 90* turn.
    http://www.drivefastbesafe.com/PDFs/FullCircuit.pdf
    I also drove with my instructors Porsche GT3, What a ride 130 in the straight aways, almost got car sick by the end of the session.

7. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

did you ever try the HPS???

ive used the HPS but because i have a smaller rotor they would lose there stopping power when too hot.

then upgraded to HP+ and ive been running them ever since, and have occisinally flat spotted my tires. they stop great on 4s and would imangine would work just as good on 8s.

i also put HPSs on my wifes cruiser but its weighs too much and the pads werent enough. im gonna buy slotted rotors and HP+ pads along with SS lines an do the change out all at once.