Okay... I'm stumped! GT Cruiser problem

Discussion in 'GT Cruisers' started by Bluebeast05, Oct 20, 2010.

1. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

what you may have to do is seal your bov a bit better with some copper gasket maker. or you could try pulling off the blue plate and putting it back to stock and testing again. but more then likely you have a tear in your gasket or your gasket is not making a good seal.

if it were me i would pull off the blue plate and put just the stock recirc back on and test.

2. Bluebeast05

Bluebeast05 New Member

huh... crazy, I must be learnin' something, cuz that's what I did. ^_^ ... Here's what I found out, (and I had to ask for my wife's help cuz eet gets tiny!) I removed the mopar BOV, and put the stock plate back on. The gasket looked okay, and the ruber seal around the spring looked brand new. So I did another test, the stock plate is a triangle piece, and each flat side (so not the corners) leaks just a bit, so I (just for now) foil taped them shut which helped me find out that under the turbo, where the intake piping is clamped onto the turbo is leaking... I think. I ran out of patience, and daylight, so I stopped for tonight. In the pic, I circled where the air feels like it's coming from, and I can't get at it with the suds, because it's on the underside of the turbo, where the sun don't shine. *sigh* tomorrow's another day! Thanks again dude, I really appreciate it!!!

Attached Files:

3. Bluebeast05

Bluebeast05 New Member

... old pic, before I took off the plate. Jus fyi

4. nevinsrt

Your just gonna have to tighten that worm grove clamp tighter on the charge pipe behind the turbo. If it still leaks you will have to get a t-bolt clamp.

i figured that much with the old pic.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  5. Bluebeast05

Bluebeast05 New Member

Alright... Well, After taking the BOV plate off, testing it, (I tightened the intake worm grove) I got the system to hold ten, and fifteen pounds. So I put it all back together, (much to the dismay of my hands) tested it, and every single pound of pressure comes right out the BOV! So, I held the TB open, no change! All the pressure out the BOV, held open the TB, and pulled the WGA open and closed, no change. Test drove, no change, only 2.4-2.8 PSI, AND now my BOV doesn't even "go off." *shrug* I have no clue what I'm doing wrong! This is testing my patience, and making me feel like I'm two!

6. nevinsrt

ok so take the blue plate off. if you take the blue plate off it cant vent back to atmosphere it can only recirculate.

7. Bluebeast05

Bluebeast05 New Member

Alright... well I took the blue mopar BOV off, and the stock rec spring is back on. I haven't done a boost test yet, I finally have some work, so that's come first. However, when I drove after taking the plate off, there was no change. Still only two pounds of boost. :( I will get to the bottom of this though, i just wished it'd had been sooner. lol
    Thanks again nevin for all your help and info.

8. nevinsrt

just keep boostleak testing and you'll find the source.

9. Bluebeast05

Bluebeast05 New Member

Alright... I was able to do a quick test today (it's 33 degrees outside). Here's what I found. Please see red arrow in pic.
    What is that? lol You've called it a rec spring. Is it a recirculater spring? Cuz, it's leaking out two of the sides (where it attaches to the turbo), and from one of the bolt holes... from what I can tell.

1 Does that make sense?
    2 is it possible for the spring to become to weak
    3 would it make any sense to replace it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  10. nevinsrt

LOL your pic makes perfect sense and love the lil poofs of air.

the red arrow is the factory recirculator valve. where your poofs of air are comming out at means you dont have a good enough seal onto the mopar blue plate. you may need to get another recir valve or play with it to make it seal better. i had the same problem with my wifes so i put a block off plate and got a HKS bov and welded it on the upper hard pipe.

11. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

Yup sometimes the sides of the recirc like to warp when torqued down. You can go the HKS route which I did with the AGP hard pipes or you can try to use some red RTV or cut out some silicone gasket to make a better seal.

12. Bluebeast05

Bluebeast05 New Member

WOW! :D I'm so excited! I may see the light at the end of this tunnel! hehehe... It's been like four months! *sigh* Being unemployed sucks! hahaha. Anyhoo, thanks Nevin, Kingnate, I'm so glad that makes sense, and could be my problem... you wouldn't happen to know where I might be able to get the HKS one, would you? or perhaps a price? ^_^ Thanks again!

13. nevinsrt

you can search google. HKS is around $200 then you will need an up pipe from Needswings or Dejon. then a block off plate.

but because of your unemployment situation i would suggest trying to make that stock valve seal correctly.

14. Bluebeast05

Bluebeast05 New Member

Well thank you! That totally makes my day! I just looked on needswings, and they sell another gasket, with new bolts for eight bucks! I'll update this soon after I get after this and let cha know what's what.
    Thanks again!

15. nevinsrt

awesome

16. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

Bout a year ago I could have hooked you up with mine. :D

17. Bluebeast05

Bluebeast05 New Member

lol That's okay king. I'm learning patience. lol
    Hey quick question... what are the possibilities of me causing harm, or damage to my engine, turbo, etc with a boost leak?
    Cuz, I'm thinkin', if the engine does not see peak boost, it'll tell the turbo to keep spooling... and I know how fast they spin... sooo, hence the question. :)

18. The ///Man

The ///Man ME>GOD!

little to none with a boos leak.

19. Bluebeast05

Bluebeast05 New Member

Alrighty, a little update. I got my BOV back on, along with the cork gasket from NeedsWings.com I also removed the factory gasket from the turbo side, and put some RTV on for a new gasket.
    It worked to the extent that my BOV or recirculator valve no longer leak. Also, from what I can tell, I don't have any other leaks... so I'm kinda back at square one. Still only 2.5 - 2.8 pounds of boost under WOT. Hey Nevin, if that guy you know here in CO wouldn't mind, I'd love another opinion, or some help. I also have a couple friends with a Supra, and an old 240zx that I'm gonna try and ask for help.
    Thanks again guys! I'll let cha know if and when I get things all buttoned up.

20. nevinsrt

his name is Dave Owens and you can find him on Facebook.