ok lets talk blowers

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by 8yourM5, Aug 11, 2008.

1. 8yourM5

8yourM5 Full Access Member

I am thinking about going with a procharger unit. I am still a little unsure as what Model # to go with. Do I go crazy and get them to try to fab a kit for a f1sc. Or go the d1sc. I am also not sure if I am going to be able to deal with the constant whine of the blower.
    Which makes me think a turbo might be my best bet. It was the way I was planning on going before andy told me that the tuning might not be out for a while. So I bought the motor. So as for turbos single or double. Whats better about 2 small turbos compared to 1 big one?

whats goign to net me faster 1/4 mile times turbo or a supercharger. what would you guys do if it was your car? thanks
    John

2. SRT8

SRT8 MoPower

Well if $ wasn't an option & it was available, I'd go w/twin turbos under the hood(not rear mount). The regularly available options for your LX, I'd go w/the twin screw s/c, it's clean/compact/etc.

3. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

Wow did you bring up a huge topic! Here's a couple of things to think about.
    1) Roots/screw supercharger - instant torque, not a piston problem with your built motor, but people are having tranny trouble with torque like this
    2) Centuri supercharger - linear power band, easier on motor and tranny. Do you really need more torque down low? I spin enough as it is.
    3) Turbos - a bigger turbo can lead to lag as it spools up, 2 smaller turbos help reduce the lag. Turbo lag can also be reduced with the proper diameter piping and proper compressor sizing.

Don't forget to look at air vs air to water intercoolers. Air to air leads to more consistent temps, but looses more boost. Air to water maintains boost better, but temps go up as speeds slow down.

IMHO, turbos are for ricers and superchargers are for muscle cars.

Personally, I like the linear power band of the centuri superchargers.

4. sdcarguy

sdcarguy A bit off

I agree with adam...how ever if you have your rear end built and have the money to do the tranny then a roots/twin screw setup will rock low end grunt. If your mostly racing freeway then the centerfugial setups really like the top end...

5. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I am having issues deciding between a TS and a Centuri SC....

you brought up a really good point about the spinning though....but it would be nice to have all the torque you could ever need....

i defiantly want to hear what the big old brains have to say about this....

6. YoungMedic23

YoungMedic23 Vortech 426 SRT8 Jeep Rollin

x2 on the centrifugal.......our sweet spot is 3k rpm and that's where the centri really shines!

7. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Tranny issues? Please explain what these issues are exactly.

8. 1fastsedan

Clutches not holding on the shift. I think Larry is the guy with the twin screw and screwed tranny. There was just a thread about the twin screw that mentioned it on lxforums.

9. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

So this is only one person and not many? News to me.

Doesn't make sense since JMatt was spraying a 275 shot and the only tranny issues he had was extremely hot tranny fluid.

I would be interested in knowing if this Larry person has an upgraded TC. What kind of torque is he seeing? Mods done to the motor?

How many miles does he have on the sled and what kind of driving habits?

10. 1fastsedan

Well, when there are only a few of these out there you have to take what data points you can. You don't think I'd put that up without knowing its legit do you.

Here are some of the issues with the current Harrop blower. I know its not the tranny thread, I'm still searching.
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/showpost.php?p=1716044&postcount=42

Here's the guy with the blown tranny:
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/showpost.php?p=1714130&postcount=22

What Eddie from Southern Hotrod has to say about it: "At about 600 RWHP stock NAG1's start to fail. Does not matter what tire are on the car. (Although drag radials will speed up the failure.)"

Crap, I'm getting close to that with my Vortech kit...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  11. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

actually ron, i had a very interesting conversation with builderbill at the shindig and he pretty much said that beyond 600hp that the clutch paks start to burn up pretty quickly. lou1355 over on lxf has fried a couple of trannies from what i heard from him at the shindig. he is running ridiculous power from his 420 stroker with one of the most impressive direct port nitrous systems i have ever seen!!! bill said when lou's tranny shit the bed, he took it apart and saw how the clutch packs just disintegrated. from what bill explained to me, it seems that when our sleds reach over the 600 rwhp threshold for a significant amount of operation, the trannies shows is weaknesses.

12. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

but wouldnt that be ANY kind of power adder....or is there something that makes 600hp from a SC different than a Turbo then from a nitrous system?

13. LegMaker

steve - theoretically any power adder will do this..... a twin screw set up that is known for its low end grunt, if it helps make the motor generate over 600hp or so, might be even harder on the trans. also keep in mind, a sc set up is power all the time.....whenever you want it and as much as you want..... this type of constant abuse could lead to quicker failure of the clutch packs or sprag gear. nitrous is only there when you switch it on, so theoretically it would not be as abusive on the car as much....right??? hehehehehehe

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  14. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

if 600 is the magic HP #....what would the Torque # be that starts to put the transmissions in danger?

15. LegMaker

if i remember correctly, i was told slightly higher numbers in the torque levels as well.......

16. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

The twin screws cause near instantaneous boost as well so the TCM and tranny wig out. Very difficult to drive in their current configuration. It's all on that thread at LXF and dynosteve just replied to it with his explanation of why he's left the bullett design.

17. LegMaker

i have not read the thread milan, but i can imagine with the instant torque and power, the car most likely goes into limp mode...... i guess this is one way to save the tranny!!! lol

18. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

Very interesting thread. DS responds as to why he doesn't sell them anymore. He thinks they're great kits if a few changes are made, but the manufacturer hasn't done it, so RDP is out. He's helping those who've had issues or need the help and letting bullet deal with the rest.

19. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Well I somewhat disagree.

I am well over 600rwhp and my torque is not that far behind. I understand the differences between twin screw and Centri blowers, but power is power.

I can lay my car sideways from a dig or at 90mph. TCM and PCM have issues talking to one another on occassion, but other than that I have yet to feel any ill affects to the transmission.

Fixer is a great guy and I am possitive he is sharing the entire happenings. However, we still do not know what the shift and rev limiter points are to his tune (yes, this can be a huge factor in the tranny issue). How well his overall maintenance has been on his sled. Mileage on his monster...

I am merely saying there are too many unknowns here.

As for Eddie and Bill, I have the UTMOST respect for those two, BUT (and this is used loosely), SHR is now offering a NAG1 tranny. Could Eddie be stating clutch failure at these low HP's to help market his product? And I am NOT saying Eddie would do such a thing, but it is a possibility.

Sorry Eddie and Bill, I really mean you no bad words.

Again, JMatt has been throwing a 275 shot in his basically BONE stock motor and reached the 10's. SRT-Hardware is running well over 700rwhp and Torque with N2O and no tranny failures.

I am only pointing out that this may or may not be a fluke.?. Obviously this is new territory for us all and we can only learn more about these types of issues as the information comes out.

Now, having said all of that, I would still be some concern in the back of my head when switching over to a Twin Screw. And yes, I will be adding a Twin Screw in the future. With N2O. hehe

20. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Isn't Lou1355's car a 5.7 with a stroker motor added?