Nitto NT05's... Got 'em? Whats your Story?

Discussion in 'Rims and Tires' started by MoneyPit, May 8, 2009.

1. MoneyPit

MoneyPit Exposed Member

I have them on as my street tires, and have had them for awhile. I've also had them on the track. Specifically at Thunder Hill a few weeks ago.

I'll give you my short version of a review first.
    1. Street: Excellent tire when dry. Sings to you from 40-60 mph, with the worst being at 50 mph. Livable once you realize what that freaking sound is. Wet performance is acceptable. Surprisingly acceptable for a near slick, although it is siped to some extent. I haven't had the guts or the opportunity to try and sling it around hard in the wet. Sticks to the ground very well, so long as you are throwing the car around at street limits, which I would call 6/10'ths. Stick to street driving and you will really need to work to find these tires' limits.
    2. Road Course Track. An unmitigated disaster. The reviews of these tires where drivers equate them to R compound rubber are ridiculous. I have R compound wheels/tires and NT05's are *nothing* like my Hoosier R6's. NT05's are noisy, don't settle well and essentially never grip the pavement firmly when taken to 8-9/10th's... forget about getting to 10/10th's on these tires.

As I said above, some reviews gush over these tires and shout about how they are tne next best things to R compound slicks, which they superficially resemble. Well, either those guys are chimps with keyboards or there must be a weight threshold that an LX vehicle is well over, because when trying to negotiate a race track with NT-05's, the order of the day is squealing and sliding. So forget about any comparison to slicks (which I have on my dry track wheels, so I know how they feel). What about comparing them to sticky street tires that will fit onto an SRT wheel? My 'wet' track wheels are stock SRT wheels with Bridgestone RE-050A Pole Positions running 255/35/20 front and rear, which not coincidentally is the same size used at the SRT Track Experience. I have talked about these tires here before and called them splendiferous, wonderful, super duper etc. etc. They are a 140-treadwear, AA traction tire that handles extremely well on an LX when you figure out the tire pressures (44 lbs hot is the perfect sweet spot). Not only do they stick,. but they last. I rotate track tires in pairs and the most worn B's in my possession have 11 (thats ELEVEN) track days on them. They are $300 a pop, but they are a hard act to follow.

Especially when you see the near-slick tread of the $200 Nitto NT-05. Man I wanted these tires to work out. Oh man did they ever not do that. The tires are so noisy, you can't tell the difference between a power slide and a regular corner if you lose traction and your car's attitude stays the same. On the one hand, that kind of behavior can be a nice bit of predictability since the tires break free in a nice incremental way as opposed to all grip and then suddenly none. But damnit I'm used to the tires sticking to the ground, not sliding predictably. I had a holiday on ice with these tires and didn't like it one bit. I have one of those slides on video where I came into a corner a touch early, corrected and *thought* I was ok based on where the car was pointing. Wrong answer. The car slid right off the course nice and gentle-like. Good thing it was a paved 'off' and I could just lift and drive right back on.

I spent a fair bit of time on my first couple of sessions playing with tire pressures. You have to get them right before you judge a tire. Well, I got the corner wear right down to the diamonds like I should, and they still slid around (interestingly, the Nitto's required about 30 psi cold to have proper wear, while the Bridgestones need 36... show's to go you that you can't take the lessons from one tire and apply them to another).

I'm going to hit Laguna Seca later this month. Now thats a track I know very, very well. I should be running sub 1:50 laps on slicks and I can consistently run 1:53's on the B's, which is the Nitto's real competition. I'll give them one last chance on a track I know real well to perform. If not, they will for sure be a fun, cheap street tire that shouldn't be allowed on the track on such a heavy car.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Wow, excellent writeup. Thanks!

Even though you're not happy it made me feel really good about my choice :D. It's going to be a blue moon before I get on a track again and for my skill level, predictable sliding is right up there at the top of the list. I haven't touched the diamonds yet but I thought I was starting to get close. I'm running 35 lbs cold and the ride doesn't feel hard at all.. it actually feels like it's on the soft side. Response is very nice though. and they're great for standing starts. I'll let some air out this weekend and see what they feel like. (nitrogen actually. they put nitrogen in for free when they mounted them. I'd never pay for that but maybe I should save it in a baggie.)

3. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Hey you, Money Pit... :thongue2:

4. MoneyPit

MoneyPit Exposed Member

At 32 psi front and rear I was on the diamonds on the front and above them on the rears. 30 rear 32 front starting cold temps on a 70-degree day is probably going to be right on the money.

I think that if you are after a good performance street tire, and you aren't in the PNW where its raining a lot, these are *very* good street tires. Very comfortable (I have 255/45/20's) and cheap at two bills each.[/QUOTE]But on the track... don't go there is my advice so far.

I know Laguna Seca really well. I know exactly how the car should be behaving cold or hot, wet or dry. I'm going to sacrifice the first of my four sessions to these tires to get my final verdict on them. Who knows... I may change my mind.

Bleaux Me, Truck Boy.

5. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:huglove:

6. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

MoneyPit only bought the NT-05's because of my rave review. I don't hear any noise from these tires at any speed, especially coming home from SF in a trailer. Maybe I need to get my hearing aids checked, or maybe my engine is so loud I can't hear anything over it, or maybe it's my old trick of just cranking up the stereo. Seriously, I don't really hear any noise from my tires. They are an incredible street tire for me. If I had some 10 to 10.5 inch rear wheels, I think the 315/35-20's would really double as a DR that works as a daily driver.

7. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

I really did not hear any road noise when you gave me a ride. But damn, was I impressed with the traction they give.

8. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Matt, great writeup! I understand why you don't run 275's, do you think the extra amount of contact patch would make much of a difference for SRT8 guys? I've been really happy with the sidewall stiffness of my V's when I had them (just in case you didn't know, LMAO) but am wanting to try out the NT-05's to do a good comparison. But, if the sidewalls on my Invo's are anything like the NT-05's I'll try something else.

9. MoneyPit

MoneyPit Exposed Member

Hal,

I don't hear a peep from them, either... on the street. there has only been one street place where I have heard them squeal some and thats on Los Laureles Grade last weekend. Ron I bet you know exactly where that is. When I heard what I did I was kinda pushing way too hard, trying to make the car go bonkers. I don't think someone with a brain on a mountain road is going to push that hard.

Its when you get on the track where the dial gets turned up to 11 that all of a sudden these things change character completely.

Hey guys if any of you have an issue of Grassroots Motorsports handy, they reported a loss of grip as well, although they were guessing it had to do with using fresh tires.

Bud,

You have to love 275's vs. 255's. Honestly I have no firm idea. I'll have a better idea when I run Laguna, but my gut tells me these tires are just out of their league with these heavy cars.

10. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

I know that piece of road very well. hehehehehehe

You SUCK for still having access to all the fun roads I grew up with. lol

hmmm old HWY 17 was always fun. Especially just East (heading west) of Santa's Village. Oh yea.

Mount Hamilton is always a fun run.

Los Gatos, Cuppertino, Sunnyvale... you get the idea. lol

11. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

So Matt... when are you going to stop driving backwards and give the tires a real chance to hook up????

Matt is a league by himself here... :worthy:

I have heard that the Hoosiers may only be good for 3 - 6 heat cycles before they get hard, greasy or start to lose their grip power... bu these are on considerably smaller vehicles.. any experience with this???

I am back a BRP in June for the 6 hour endouro (spectator) .. but taking the BMW this time for HPD...

Let me know how Laguna goes.. later bub...

That is because Hal is screaming at all the other people on the road when he drives... :whistle:

12. StnePny3

StnePny3 Full Access Member

First let me state that I am an Automotive Enuthusist. I do not have the experience as MattRobinson (I hope the spelling is correct) or Cam or MoneyPit. I have never raced or ran a car (hard enough) where I need R1's (aka race tire) which means car on a trailer.

I do have seat time & being a novice (and only being to a couple of So. Cal tracks). I like the Streets of Willow because it is a techinical track, a driving man's track & it makes you think. Also if I make a MISTAKE, I can come in, shake my head, dust the car off and be go to go. With finachical hard time trying to get some enjoyment & some relief it is cheap for me to wear thru tires & breaks.

I have nothing too prove chaseing SRT 10's on the big track at Willow, if I go off I'm looking at mechinical repair, then body work repair. I seen that many times with Audi's owners, Viper Owners..etc.

If you have track experience with an R Compound, WHY, would you compare it to a (Street) Ultra Performance Tire ?

SO, HEAR IS AN NOVICE REPORT ON THE NITTO NT 05's

First, My car is an '06 Charger SRT8, I use my car for club metts, Open Track, and canyon cruziers. I ran the staggered Goodyear F1's, ran 6 - 7 track event at 6K, I rotate tires. I Got 9K out of them & I was done with them.

I just ran 7 (20 mins) sessions on Sat. and 8 (20 min) session on Sunday
    about 5 hour of short, hard Road Course with a 4100 lb. car. and I LIKE the NITTO 05's, at 40 - 41 lbs, hot I touch the diamonds on 3 corners, on the left front - there gone, I do not know if it was me or Gary Underwood (PR from Ford/Vintage Race Car Driver), I had a fewe hot laps with an instructor. Rick Titus was busy, either as an instructor or running late model Shelby or his SHOGUN around.

So, in closing, YES I like then, as a Ultra Summer Performance Tire. The load rating is slightly higher that the F1's and no where close to the Vred's (I have not run this SUV tire, but, talk to people who have) and looked on the side to see the load rating is higher.

When I do another Streets of Willow event, I will dismount, spin the tire & remount - since they are directional. After that I think the tire will be done. I do not mind - i do not care. They handle better than the Goodyear F1's, they did not have the life of the
    F1's. But the goes the question - the guys that run R Compound (Race Tire - with out a problem)run thru tires all weekend

I review is if you want a good Ultra Performance Tire, I say YES, if your looking for a decent Street Performance Tire, I say Yes, if you are looking for a long wearing tire, get a reality check. You show me a Road Racer who does not change tire during a race or season & I'll show you a bench racer.

OH, Yes, my Brake Man #93 Compound work flawlessly everything, my brakes were there, they were linear and they did not fade.

Oh, i forgot to mention Break Dust. I DO CARE, I was looking for PERFORMANCE (& A GOOD TIME) and I got them out of my Nitto NT 05's and The Brake Man #93 Brake Pads.

13. Quick

I hear em. Like he said they "sing" a bit around 45~50 and you can't hear em again over 65~70 or so. I could barely hear them before but when I dropped them from 35 lbs to 30 it was a noticeable difference at 50. I think maybe when they're pumped up you're mainly riding on that slick center section. It's not really bad. When was the last time you changed the battery in the hearing aids?

14. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

SP.. you mean we can't have excellent stopping power with no brake dust, or tires that grip the road and last 50K.. say it ain't so???

Good eval on the tires from your point of view.... didn't you go with a stagger set up??? 255/45 up front and 275/40 on the rear??

Driving a Cobra probably makes you just a little bit more than just an enthusiast. you are being modest...

15. HalV48

What, did someone say something.

I'm running mine at 36lbs and with the KWv2's I'm very impressed.

Charles there is quite a similarity bewtween MattR and MoneyPit, isn't there? lol

That's because they are one in the same.

16. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I have them sitting next to me right now actually lol...ill put them on after I get home from DC getting my motor put in...

so for my own reference...this was more concerning road courses more than 1/4 miles?

My car will never see a road course, but if i hit Englishtown and I dont feel like bringing the DR's I would like these to be an acepetible substitute...i dont need them to be DRAG radials but better than the POS RSA"s that are on there now lol...a 275 NT05 has to be better than a 245 RSA...a 195NT05 has to be lol....

I will proably run these in teh 20's PSI range while at the track...and around 33 when im going around town....

and the other thing.

if I can hear them over MY exhaust and my stereo...then theres an fing problem LOL

17. HalV48

MoneyPit is talking about road courses. I had 295/40-20 RSA's and I could only use about 1/4 throttle from a dead. The 275/40-20 05's hook with way more throttle than that. I haven't gone into limp mode, because of tire spin, since getting these tires.

18. Quick

Steveo, you might need power adders to get them to spin at all :D.
    As for the sound, I hear them at 50 (constant speed) with the radio off and the driver's window most of the way up (it's pretty quiet in the cabin). I'm not sure if it's less slap or greasing the sway bars but, overall, it's a lot quieter now than with the RSA's I replaced. As for wet grip I wouldn't know. It's already rained for this year. And I forgot, why are they sitting in your house instead of on the car?

19. StnePny3

StnePny3 Full Access Member

I my mind if you have run an R Compound (a beter track tire for the track than a street tire for the track) that you will not like the NT 05's. But, taking a Street Summer Ultra Performace Tire for weekend use at the track is/was fun.

Dad, Yes I do run stagger, we both know that if you want tires to last 50K Do Not Go to the Track. For all we know of this tire HalV48 may get 30K to 50K in street use. Why would any one run RSA's at the track. I had F1's & I thought they held up well, like I said I got 9K out of them. I bought the Nitto NT 05's with one purpose in mind, for FUN (Weekend Track Use). not mileage. So, for those wondering. The answer is YES, I may/will need tires with in the year or get 1 years use out of these. I may try the Bridgestone RE 70's (Nissian GT-R) depending on the price.

As for Brake Pads I choose a Semi Metallic #93's, I could have choosen the #91's which is the same co-effient of friction in a Ceramic Compund, but, I feel more comforable with Semi's.

From what I have heard & experienced,if you have to run a coeffient of friction of .65 (aka Rotor Ripper) to get a car to stop, there are thing that have to be looked at. When there are pads out there witha .48 that take 1400* and are rotor friendly.

20. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

like....a forged low compression engine and a high boost s/c?...check and check LOL

and they are sitting in my house because I have not had time to get them mounted yet...plus i want to wait until after i drive to and from DC to get the motor installed...thats 600 miles of crappy road that i dont want to get a flat on with brand new tires lol

so when i get back ill have them mounted