Nitto 315/35/20 NT05R's on stock SRT wheels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dookie, Apr 15, 2011.

1. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Outside of the tire is worn down to needing replacement when the rest of the tire (only about the last inch to the tire wall is worn) is fine.

2. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

All 4?
    Just happens on the front?
    Is it nice even wear or does it look a bit scalloped/scooped?

If it's nice and even and happens at all 4 corners then it's most likely camber and due to your lowering the car without the appropriate alignment adjustments.

If it's sort of scalloped/scrubbed then it could likely be toe-in and more likely on the front.

It's very unlikely that due to the design those tires are just prone to wearing that way.

3. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Just the front 2, Car is stock ride height.

And its nice and smooth .

4. Quick

Camber or toe-in. I'd be leaning towards camber more. Probably some of both.

Find a really good alignment shop with good equipment. They should ask you if you want them to favor highway or twisties, how much you weigh, if you usually have a passenger and if what's in the car now is what you usually haul around with you.

This was done with a John Bean Arago V3D Wheel Aligner. It's not easy to get our cars within specs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you get new tires get them road force balanced while you're at it :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Factory specs

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  5. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Here is what my NT555R's looked like when I took them off...ran them at 30 cold - 33 hot.
    Car is lowered and never adjusted. Bought the Eibach 5.66020K bushing kit, never installed.
    All things considered, this isn't to bad of a wear pattern.
    [​IMG]

6. Quick

Not bad at all... but due to being lowered and the resulting negative camber you left some on the table on those outside shoulders :D

7. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

No doubt...

Went to track...Pretty good considering the DA and IAT's were in the triple digits. Only got 4 runs in, bracket racing started.

Full weight, 1/2 a tank, fronts at 50 PSI. Had some extra weight, with air tank and whatever I have in my car...estimate 4300-4400 test weight.

1st was...a hot lap from the street, dropped PSI to 18, Hit it at 2500 stall and blew em up...pedaling the car...12.181 @ 113.54 w/1.847 60', spinning a good amount.

2nd was a hot lap from that run, with a little time to change pressure to 15 psi, same stall, same result, just a little better...12.003 @ 1113.79 w/ 1.726 60'.

3rd run was another hot lap, with same pressure and ran 12.087 @ 113.35 w/ 1.775 60'.

4th run i dropped to 12 PSI, and had the best run of the night...see below.

[​IMG]

Was a good night, last time I ran in this type DA, I was running 110-111 MPH. and 12.3's

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  8. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

holy crap man!.....those tires are beat. You like the nt05r?

9. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Street, yea. Track, not great, but okay. At 12 psi they still didn't hook. No prep whatsoever. No sticky juice, and no one was hooking. Da sucked.

I'm happy with the results though. 113-114 in the conditions I ran in is pretty impressive. I was thinking 110.
    The slip above is my best effort, still lifting to retain traction.

10. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

Hal???? how would he know if they "hooked"???? doesn't the car need to be operational first??? heheheheehehe

not bad at all kyle all things considered. not to hijack, but when you ran before in those conditions, did you have your fender mount intake on then??? i could see your current set up giving your much better IAT's, resulting in some better times....... just curious.

11. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Difference between then and now is:
    BBK true 85mm throttle body
    LMI 4" fender mount ( was stock box) left filter on, with pre filter (panty hose)
    240/252 PW240 cam ( don't have old cam specs. Will advise old cam)
    Tune
    Stock muffler to aeroturbine AT3030 (sounds sick)

Last time I ran 110-111. I looked back at old slips. I'm very happy with results.
    Gotta say....
    Johan is UNBELIVEABLE. Highly recommend.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  12. "show"

"show" Full Access Member

with running that psi does the tire not shift and lean a bit too much on some hard corners? i have 315-35-20 also and i have been playing with the psi and i was running 40psi and it seamed to shift and lean a bit in corners like that.

13. Quick

Check the wear/scrub over the shoulders. There are little raised triangles just onto the sidewall. If you're scrubbing over the triangles you need more pressure. If it's not getting to the triangles then you're probably not getting as much tread on the ground as you could.

14. "show"

i understand that. i am more worried about having enough psi in the tires so they dont lean on hard corners. i have taken a few corners and have felt the car dipping on the outer rear a few times now.

15. Quick

I think that's the thing though. If the tires lean then it's going to scrub over onto the sidewall. Feeling the car dip is going to be more a suspension thing.

16. "show"

this only started when i put these tires on. i am sure it is because the tire is shifting in the rim because i dont have the right psi yet. i raised my psi and it is not as bad anymore but i am still looking for the tires sweet spot.

17. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Sorry, nothing to add...i drive like an old fart for the most part. I opted for these for straight line performance, not the twisties.