New Tires

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bucky440, Feb 25, 2011.

1. bucky440

bucky440 Full Access Member

For the first time in 2 years I can move the car off a red light in the rain without having to idle it out to prevent tire spin. The OEM Goodyear RA's are gone after 33,000 miles (still had tread to JUST pass inspection but not much more). After looking through all the tire maker BS, I decided to try the Yokohama AVID ENVigor, i hope to get much more life out of these (I better at their price)...Car fells better than it ever did on the RA's, tires fell firmer without being harsh and will let me give it some throttle in the wet. Will see how they go, but I like them for now. Just have to watch curbs as they don't have the side wall rim protector.

Also got a new tie rod end and alignment on Chrysler warrentee, ordered a new amp and steering column boot...both act up in real cold weather and are covered by Chrysler.:happy:

2. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Nice! Never heard anything good about the RSA's other than their longevity. I'm probably going with Toyo Proxes 4s next since I'm on a budget.

3. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

33K out of the RSAs? yikes! and you're hoping for much more life out of these? (I think I got 18K out of my RSAs... lol).

4. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

RSA's suck they came stock on the PT/GTs as well they were on the car for about a week then i swapped them out for used miss matched set which gripped a hell lot better.

5. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

RSA's far and away the worst tire i have had.

6. Big Bruin

Big Bruin Sea Bass

I have just hit 30K on my original RSAs... They are probably long overdue for replacement due to age and not treadwear. Planning on doing it this spring.

While I constantly spin them in the rain - I have been pretty happy in the winter. That said, I drive extremely cautiously and wouldn't mind a little more leeway from being able to trust my tires.

bucky440 - Do you live in a snowy area? I'd be interested in knowing how those fare on an SRT8. They are on my list of tires - but right now the cheaper Parada Spec X tires are at the top, and are listed as much better in snow (at TireRack).

7. bucky440

I ran the RSA's at 36-38psi and rotated every 5K. They have a tread wear rating of 280 while the new Yokos rate at 560...I know these ratings are manufacturer specific, but I really do expect more life on the new tires..they cost more and are supposed to have the latest low rolling resistance compounds...we will see

8. bucky440

My 300 went in service in Feb of 2009 even though it was over a year old, an October 2007 build leftover 2008 model, so the tires sat until I bought the car.
    I live in Bucks county Pa. maybe 50 miles from you. Last winter the 300 was my dailly driver in all that snow and it sucked! Had to get an old suburban 4 wheeler to drive this year.....The Yokos are MS rated and are directional with a curved cut tread...I think we will have one more snow this season to try it out. I was originally going for the Prada X but there is almost no inventory, especilly at a good price. The deales are waiting for a container to arrive from Japan next month. This ones I got are supposed to be a better tire. I got them at Discount tires.com on line...$196 and free shipping..but they were down to their last 5 in the Columbus warehouse...2 day delivery.

9. Big Bruin

Big Bruin Sea Bass

Thanks for the info - After posting last night I noticed that no one online had the Spec X's in stock... Guess I should jump on them when I see them come in stock.

10. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

Nexen 3000 seems like a nice tire and it has a high tread rating (320) and is hgh speed rated. You can get a 275/40/20. Other forums say it gets good mileage and cost is around $160.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  11. Flex Wheeler

Flex Wheeler 2nd to none!

Man i need to get some ASAP. damn Twin turbos are no joke... LOL 3rd gear i'm all over the place

12. bucky440

Nothing short of all wheel drive can handle that much power.

13. srt8-in-largo

srt8-in-largo Full Access Member

I'll vouch for the Yoko SpecX. It's a great tire; does fine in the water. Dry grip is quite adequate, at least for stockish power levels. It hasn't snowed recently in FL so I can't speak to that part. Decent price. Great treadwear. What's not to like if you can get em.