New thermostat help?

Discussion in 'How-To Database' started by fastsrtgc, Mar 5, 2009.

1. fastsrtgc

fastsrtgc New Member

I'm thinkin about putting a new thermostat in my grand cherokee, and i've got it on hand but im a little worried about the whole "fan setting adjustments" thing with the predator. is it something that must be done for it to function correctly? my friend has a 07 charger srt and he put a 180 thermostat in it....but didnt change his fan settings with a predator. it hardly changed the temperature that it runs at during normal driving, but his radiator puts off a lot more heat now, and the radiator hoses feel very very hot to the touch.
    his car doesnt ever overheat or anything(not that he ever drives really far), but im not sure what the whole deal is as to why it does that, and if mine will do the same.
    will i really need to change the fan settings and is it the cause of why his car does that? if so, if i get a predator will i be able to use it to fix his?

Sorry, im kinda new to Mopars and upgrading cars in general...but im enjoying it all nonetheless!

2. NYCSRTATE

NYCSRTATE Maximus Want 2 Go Fastius

Without changing the fan on/off setting with the lower temp stat the only time you will see a HUGE temp difference is on the highway.

3. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Tony is correct.

As for the hot to the touch thing. This may be a mental (not in a bad way lol) thing. I do not think that the radiator hoses are any hotter to the touch just because he added the 180* t-stat.

And when you do get the Predator, here is a link to help you adjust the fan settings. http://www.srtconnection.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7403

Welcome to the "C"

4. fastsrtgc

fastsrtgc New Member

so is it normal for his radiator to put off so much heat? im a little worried because if it does the same on mine, which im sure it would since its the same motor and all, im afraid it might start damaging something.
    for reference, the fan shroud feels like its hot enough to melt from the heat his radiator puts off, and when i run my car with my stock thermostat around town it hardly puts off half the amount of heat when i feel it.

5. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Sounds like your friend has some other issues. He should go get his car checked out. A t-stat swap will NOT do that.

6. fastsrtgc

fastsrtgc New Member

ok thanks so much.
    so i should be fine if i change my thermostat out without doing the fan settings right away? out of curiosity, for the time being, is there someone who makes a switch i can install to turn it on manually for days like when i go to the track?
    i plan to get a predator just not right yet (hoping the old lady will pick it up hehe, she been askin what i want for the jeep :D )

7. kingnate

kingnate Full Access Member

My vote is on something being clogged or he is running too high of a concentration of anti freeze to water.

8. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Yes. There are a couple of options that people were using for just that before the predator came out.

One is the do it yourself 25-cent fan mod where you make a jumper
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=18679

Another was the Coolit fan mod made by NoEsp(?). That was a circuit board that would turn them on and off for either a 170 or 180 t-stat. Probably hard to find now?

9. Silo Toy Box.com

Silo Toy Box.com New Member

I bought my Predator and 180 T-stat from Hennesy Performance in Sealy Texas. I went and picked it up from the shop and for free they installed the T-Stat and uploaded the 93 CAI tune with the adjusted fan speeds for me. I thought this was very cool of them and when people go out of there way to do things like that I think it always showes good customer service.
    Feel free to send me a private message if you need any further information

10. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Ummm, If Hennesy would like to submit a supporting vendor application we'd be happy to consider it. Outside of that we don't allow advertising for non-supporting vendors.

11. bucky440

bucky440 Full Access Member

Sure, you can change the stat without changing the fan settinigs...but it won't really do anything different and will still run at about the same temps. When you get Preditor, changing the fan settings is not hard, just follow that link above.

Hope your lady springs for it, even on the 91 0ctane tune, it wakes the car up, everything seems crisper ...tell her you'll even let her install it herself!