New fuel rails install & a few questions??

Discussion in 'How-To/Tech Database' started by SRTLUVR, Jan 24, 2011.

1. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

I have Kyle on standby tonight, as I'm about to dive into installing my new Fore fuel rails, but I'm trying to not bother him as much as possible. I have the tool needed to pop off the OEM line from the OEM rail. Is there anything I need to know about the fuel injectors?? How does the fuel rail detach from them?? And do the injectors simply "pop" back into the Fore rails when I re-install?

Also. I'd like to throw a quick coat of black paint on the injectors themselves, as they're BLUE and stick out like a sore thumb in my engine bay. I know I need to be VERY delicate with the injectors. And I know I'll need to tape them off very carefully as well. And you guys know I'll be delicate and careful as possibly can be done. But is there anything else you guys would warn me of in this process??

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

I would warn you to have someone who knows what they are doing install these. lol

The fuel rails are mounted to the Intake with two bolts. These bolts act as the security of the injectors as well. The injectors have o-rings that seal them to the inside of the rails. With a little bit of pressure, the rails should pop off the injectors.

I do NOT recommend you paint the injectors. If you tape of the ends of the injectors, you stand a very good chance of leaving sticky elements from the tape on the injector pin and causing fuel delivery issues. The slightest grain of foreign material can and will cause problems. Easy to clean, but then again, you still haven't figured out your coolant issue yet. ;)

3. King Savage

King Savage Nasty Canasta

I agree Chase...whether you tackle this yourself or not, I would not get paint anywhere near your fuel injectors. They are some kind of plastic and wouldn't take paint well anyway.

4. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Fuel rails arent that bad of an install.

The bitch is getting the connector for the fuel line to come off. For some reason mine didnt, even with that nifty tool to pop it off, want to come off.

I'd be with the other two with the non painting....you could always get a nice high quality sharpie lol.

Anyone know of any high flow injectors that are black?....you may be better off installing the blue ones now and then seeing if you can track down any black ones later.

5. SRTLUVR

Alright boys. I'll hold off on the paint.

As far as the injectors go, I'll assume if they pop off with force, they pop back on with force??

6. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

LITTLE force. But yea same as off goes with on...

7. King Savage

The injectors just push in both ends with O-rings...one in the intake manifold and the other end in the fuel rail. The clip that you pull out is exactly what it looks like if you examine it...no surprises there. It is the bolts that hold the fuel rail to the intake manifold that keeps everything tight.

The hardest thing for me is my back takes a beating leaning over my motor for so long...

8. SRTLUVR

Gotcha boys. THANKS!!! :D

9. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Fixed.

10. SRTLUVR

Uh oh.....here comes a shitstorm, LMAO......

11. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

chase - before you do anything, make sure the car has sat for a long time...... this way the fuel pressure will have dropped. if not, when you go to unto the fuel line, you will get a nice shower of gas......ask me how i know.

first thing you want to do is disconnect the fuel line. they can be a pain even with the tool. if you are having issues, make sure you are pushing upwards with the tool under the "collar" of the fuel line, while at the same time pushing downward slightly on the fuel line with the opposite hand. This allows the tool to engage the spring type clips that hold the fuel line onto the rail. Once the fuel line is disconnected, simply take an 8mm socket and undo the 4 screws (2 on each side) that hold the rails in place. Pull STRAIGHT up on the rail and they will come off. Straight is key so as to not damage the o-rings on the injectors. Assemble in the opposite manner for the Fore rails. The Fore rails are nice...... I have them myself!! lol Just remember a tiny bit of o-ring lube to make sure they seat properly and do not pinch or tear when you reassemble. good luck buddy....

12. King Savage

Lol Ron.

(Dick)

13. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

BTW chase....you can sell your OEM 6.1 rails/injectors setup pretty quick. They are in fairly high demand. Sold mine in less than a day.

14. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Never heard from you again last night Chase, I assumed it all went okay.

A few things.
    You will have some spillage, deal with it.
    The bolts that hold the rail to the manifold are 10mm head, not 8mm (at least mine are).
    The injectors are held on to the rail by clips. Each injector has a slot in which the clip slides into. Push the clip towards the closed end side and simply slid it off. Once done, the injector will come off the rail.

To paint.
    Get a cardboard box, punch 8 holes in the bottom just large enough for the injector tip to go through and it should "stand up" on it's own. Flip the box over and place an injector into each hole. The other side should be carefully tapped off with masking tape. Wrap it around the body and pinch the very top of the tape together for sort of a T-pee. That way the tape never comes in contact with the fuel flow orifice. On the electrical opening, small piece of masking tape over the hole does fine. Use a plastic primer then paint using a high quality high heat paint. Brake caliper paint or engine paint will work fine.

If you need anything, just holla hommie!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  15. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Chase didn't want to wake since he got a late start. I did assist Chase last night. He done good.

Funny thing is I had forgotten about the clips on the OEM rails. lol No worries, Chase and his buds figured out.

I haven't heard back from Chase since the removal, so I can only assume they got the new rails installed without problems?

16. SRTLUVR

Did all of the above brotha!! Thanks for the instructions!!
    Good to know buddy, thanks!!
    Man, I simply decided not to paint the injectors Kyle. :( I'm just scared of messing them up & I don't wanna compromise any more issues. At least for now. :) And yeah, I didn't call, because I didn't even START until 11pm & didn't wanna bother you so late. Thanks for being there for me ninja!!! :rockon:
    Yessir!! The only thing I need now (because my injectors are so tall, and now the fuel rails are much thicker as well) is longer bolts, to hold in the fuel rails & half covers into the intake manifold. So I'll swing by Home Depot here in a few hours & get her all buttoned up when I get home!!!

17. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Woot.

18. King Savage

You know you can have those injectors machined to stock SRT size, right? :)

19. SRTLUVR

Ummmmm. NO. Explain....

20. King Savage

I also have Ford Blue Giants (this is what you have, right?), and used to run with spacers (nuts) under my fuel rail tabs where it bolted to the intake because the injector is longer than our stock injectors. JonW on LX will take your set of injectors and machine the plastic down so that you can install them just like the stock stuff...no spacers.

LMK if this is indeed your situation bro...I may be able to help.

Edit: I finally found a pic of my machined injectors...

[​IMG]

Edit again: Stock SRT8 injector (I think...found the pic)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011