Need Supercharger Advice!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by diegochrysler, May 27, 2008.

1. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

good advise......

2. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

C, I have the same set up as Quick and it's actually extremely neat and tidy, way better than a standard Passport or Valentine or Bell mount. Almost factory looking, really nice, I really like it and I'm really anal bout stuff like that so that's saying something, hahaha!

3. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

lol? dude, around here dope is any sort of drug, ie "doping" refers to athletes using performance enhancing drugs. when a doctor administers you drugs, its usually referred to as being "doped up".

from the pedia....

"There are many suggestions as to the origin of the word ‘doping’. the One is that it is derived from ‘dop’ an alcoholic drink used as a stimulant in ceremonial dances in 18th century Southern Africa [1]. Another suggestion is that the word comes from the Dutch word ‘doop’ (a thick dipping sauce) that entered American slang to describe how robbers stupefied victims by mixing tobacco with the seeds of Datura stramonium [2], known as jimsonweed, which contains a number of tropane alkaloids,causing sedation, hallucinations and confusion [3]. By 1889, ‘dope’ was used in connection with the preparation of a thick viscous preparation of opium for smoking, and during the 1890s this extended to any stupefying narcotic drug. In 1900, dope was also defined as ‘a preparation of drugs designed to influence a racehorse’s performance’"

Informal.

1. A narcotic, especially an addictive narcotic.
    2. Narcotics considered as a group.
    3. An illicit drug, especially marijuana.

4. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Scott, can't comment on the K40 detector or diffuser but Curtis' install is in a whole nother league. That's a dash mounted console and all the other stuff is remote in the bumpers and grill.

5. 8yourM5

8yourM5 Full Access Member

damn man where did you copy all that from... I am just saying 99% all of 30ish+ people I know never call it pot or any other street name than dope it makes me laugh. Sorry to high jack
    I agree wtih adam a nice set of half shafts plus 17inch cobras and some et streets are a great investment with all this new power

6. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

I know Dave, I've seen Curtis' remote set up, very nice and yea, in another league. I was just stating that our set ups are not nearly as crummy as most people's basic detector installs are with wires all over and crummy mounts and suction cups and all, just wanted to let him know there's another cool way to go is all.

7. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

Keep it up smartass, remember, your background check is about to be cashed.

Actually, she's been ok with it.

In LE, we call MJ dope... the hard stuff, narco.

8. diegochrysler

diegochrysler Jose"GR8CHORIZO"Jalapeno

I've been talking to some people regarding everyone's helpful advice! Like always appreciate any and all opinions.

Let me know if I'm too far off base with this:

VORTECH has been building superchargers for several years. They are currently taking care of the finishing touches for a supercharger for the 5.7 & 6.1's. They are building their supercharger to run on a "STOCK" 5.7 or 6.1. Would they build a supercharger that would require $2-$10K in mods, so you could safely use it? Wouldn't that hurt them, especially their sales?????????? I think if your going to track your ride (1/4, road coarse or whatever) you are looking to get that extra out of your car, thus more mods and stronger moving parts would be needed! I can't imagine VORTECH building a stock supercharger, running 5-6 lbs of boost, while knowning it would cause issue's with the customers ride! Maybe I'm just the sucker that will find out the hard way. My immediate plans are to leave the stock motor alone and take care of the suspension stuff first!

If I want to add more boost, then I will forge the bottom end, get half shafts and all the other goodies that are/will be out there for our rides. Thanks for all the posts and please keep them coming. Their is "ALWAYS" something new to learn about our machines..................:friends:

9. MotherMopar

Holy fuck! Ryan is kind of making sense... and its written in English! What Adam said does make sense. Even stock, if we catch traction too quickly... doomsday.

Also, Vortech is providing a warranty for engine and power train. So, that's a good fall back if something does go askew... I simply can't afford 2K in half shafts... plus, like I said, I don't BEAT on my car anyway (too expensive to fix, same goes for tires). A smooth launch with little squeel, then WOT... that's my target goal... even if it means losing a race or two, I've GOT to be careful with her or she'll be sitting in the garage for months on end while I save to fix/replace things.

*BTW: Ryan, sorry I didn't call back earlier, we didn't finish the 'job' until 6, then had to get home, cook and put the kid to bed.

10. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

BS Ryan.... he called me and we spoke for hours!

11. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

^^^That's got my vote.

I'd check that warranty out too. Its likely only on their parts and the motor, probably not the whole drivetrain.

12. Stretch

Nope... any engine part that has oil touching it (why that I have no idea) and the entire drive train.

13. MotherMopar

Did I ever tell you all that I love Vortech?!?! :huglove:

14. Stretch

Just as long as I get my 20% I don't care who you love!

15. diegochrysler

Hey Adam,

Did your buddies snap a half shaft or axle on the track or driving around town? Did they have several mods or just a supercharger?

A stock ride with a supercharger at the recommended boost and a snapped half shaft or axle could happen, but I would think it is far and few in between!

16. Stretch

All depends on your traction. A sudden "grab" with all our torque can put a hurtin' on some metal.

17. diegochrysler

I couldn't even get sudden "GRAB" with my stock ride! How the hell would I get it after adding 100-125 HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pizza:

18. Stretch

Ask Jason... he'll give you a grab.

19. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I have no idea what you just said... so I'll make some assumptions. Vortech has a supercharged solution for our cars. That may or may not involve superchargers that they already had and then adapted for our application. They probably have the usual "staged" solutions in mind. First stage would be something to put on a bone stock car. Sounds like people are saying this generates somewhere around 100+ rwhp? That's a good 25% increase in hp over the stock engine. Safe? I'd expect it to be within what is be considered "safe". But... since we're dealing with the EQ here. HP doesn't ever come for free. So while you can be pretty confident that the motor won't blow up in short order (safe) you WILL be paying something on the longevity end. I've sort of got the impression that the SRT engineers were working within a ~100K mile duty cycle? maybe more. If that same motor is made to produce 25% more power you can bet the duty cycle will be shortened. How much? I have NO idea. If I had to make a guess I'd say that if the stock duty cycle is somewhere between 100K and 150K that you'd be looking at 80K to 100K with the blower... something like that. I'd consider that to be a "safe" solution.

Next "stage" solutions (might just be upping the boost and the 3rd stage might involve a larger blower) I would expect to require engine modifications to support them.

I believe Hal broke a half shaft on street tires? If that's correct you might ask him how much power he had added at the time.

That's pretty normal wording to cover engine internals. They don't want to warranty your electronics, alternator, cooling system, etc. That stuff isn't really effected by adding power anyway. Basically people are concerned with heads, valves, pistons, rods and bearings, crank, crank bearings when adding a blower.

You could twist your half shaft at the track or wherever and then have it snap days later leaving the Taco Bell drive through window. We know what you mean though.

Maybe a poor choice of words again? How about "of those who snapped their half shafts, how many were running 25% or less additional power. And how many did it on street tires."

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  20. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

I personally broke one. My only mods at the time were cat-back and exhaust.