Need help fast!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Ttytyy, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Ttytyy

Ttytyy New Member

Hi everyone, I'm here to ask for a little help and advice. I'm about to trade my truck for this 2003 neon srt4. Young lad said he did lots of work on it with his uncle, who a certified mechanic. Car has 130000km but he said he just rebuilt the engine 1300km ago. New gaskets and high performance bearings. The car has stage 3 everything he says. Upgraded turbo, rad cooler, 2 stage blowoff valve, short throw kit. I asked about the transmission, he said he just put 10w30 in it? Is that crazy? Anyways, drove it, it's fast. He took the power steering out. I forget why, could someone explain. I need advice everyone. What questions should I ask this kid? Is this thing a ticking time bomb? Anybody drive these during winter? Lol

2. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

I have heard of some people putting motor oil in the transmission, some people like it, some hate it. IDK if it is good or bad, I just know I wouldn't do it myself. I'm the kind of person that wants to use what you're supposed to use. As far as advice, if you are not the kind of person who like to wrench on cars, and you would rather pay someone else...I would advise you to NOT get the car. It sounds like it is highly mod'd, and the more you mod the car to less reliable it can become. So I would venture to say, that if you get the car expect it to be high maintenance.

EDIT: Also, removing the power steering is usually done, to snag a few extra horses from the motor.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. Ttytyy

Ttytyy New Member

Excellent, thanx for the info. Think I'm gonna stay away

4. loxmith

No problem. I didn't want to give you the impression that the Neon SRT-4 is a bad car, 'cause it's not. It's by far the most enjoyable car I have ever had, and I have no plans on moving on anytime soon. I've had my car since 2007, and put on over 70k fun filled miles on her(car has almost 100k on it now, bought her used). And it's been for the most part just general maintance stuff. But the problem with them is they are relatively cheap to mod, and the more mod's = more maintenance. Plus because they are so cheap and easy to get power out of, alot of people go for big power, instead of reliable power.

5. Wifey

Wifey The Queen's Queen

great info, you have one so you probably know what to look for

6. loxmith

I don't know if I'd go that far, I'd say, I know what not to look for...LoL! With this platform, what everyone wants is a stock or near stock one...that way they can Mod it the way they want, LoL! Needless to say there are not a lot of unmolested SRT Neon's out there, so if you do come across one, you usually pay for it. The thing to know with this car is the more it's mod'd the more you can expect maintenance and repairs. Which I'm sure is generally the case with any high horsepower car.

7. Wifey

Wifey The Queen's Queen

I like stock. Only way I would buy one would be stock. You are correct, in my opinion anyways, if you are going to change it, do it the way you want it!

UNLESS it is like Prof's Ram SRT-10 where all work is top quality and can be fully documented!!

Now he has sold it, so we may never hear from him again ????????? :sick: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hope you are well, Roy!! :grin: :flowers: